Trying to Break 80 Club

43/45 yesterday. Flying right elbow cost several strokes as it caused chunked shots and pulls. Friday's range session was focusing on keeping the elbow in and swinging smoothly. When kept tucked in, I add 10-15 yards with all clubs and have better trajectory control.

Putting inside 6 feet is on shaky ground, to the point I would rather have a 20 foot downhill slider than a five footer with no break. Practice sessions and pre-round warmup is focused on inside 8 feet from all around the hole. No two putts from the same spot when practicing and also change holes ever 10 putts or so.

Rock
Go Big Orange

43/45 yesterday. Flying right elbow cost several strokes as it caused chunked shots and pulls. Friday's range session was focusing on keeping the elbow in and swinging smoothly. When kept tucked in, I add 10-15 yards with all clubs and have better trajectory control.
Man so funny you mention this.

Last round I got a little haywire with my swing for the first 3 holes, some topped drives and a dead pull hook drive 30 yards. Finally started to notice my right elbow completely detached from my body. When I slowed it down and made it a point to keep my elbow on my body/hip I hit the ball better the rest of the day except for some pulls later in the round but able to stay alive and advance the ball.

Keep at it man!

Heading to the range tonight, trying to groove in my irons a little bit more. Need to be on my a game to break 80 at Rockliffe with the par 5's being so long they are not easily reachable in 2 like most places.
Plus a lot of mid iron approach shots compared to the usual wedge to 8 iron in on par 4's

Shot an 82 (10 over) at Rockliffe hall off the white tees, 6800 ish. Was always hitting one club too many on the front 9 which always puts you into trouble.

Felt like I could have scored so much better by just choosing the right club as my ball striking was really good again, the MP4's are lovely and soft at impact. Only lost one ball as well, I though it was in a bunker but it actually got tangled in the rough bordering it, couldn't find it so had to zoom back and redo my shot.

Last two rounds have been 88 and 86. Had my worst ball striking round of the year for my 88 (hit a pathetic 3/18 GIR and 1/13 fairways), and then one of my worst putting rounds of the year for my 86. Bleh.

Went 40/40 a couple days ago and that was with finishing bogey bogey. It’s been a year since I broke 80 and I wanted it so bad.

So I've played 5 competitive rounds since getting back from surgery and the scores getting close. Started with an 85, then 81, 80, 85, 82. Of these rounds the second 85 was a 2 man match play event, so I probably shouldn't have counted it because you could concede holes, putts, etc and for some reason, I don't always shoot well in match play because I'm thinking about what the other guy is doing and probably thinking too much about strategy taking my focus away from just playing my game. However, the other rounds are very close and most of them have come down to either not putting my good approach opportunities on the green or missing 6-8 putts trying to get up and down.

I'm fairly optimistic that the scores will start to get under 80 as I'm really starting to get my rhythm back. The way I see it is that 3 shots a round should be something I can alleviate just by making sure I miss in the right spots. I've been driving the ball really well for the most part and hopefully can get these irons back to how I was hitting them last season. We'll check back in after the holiday. Happy 4th to everyone.

Had a pretty good round going last week. Bogeyed #1 (which shouldn't be too difficult to par), but then had pars on 2, 3, and 4. Bogeyed 5, parred 6. Doubled 7 when I missed the green long, and then bladed my chip which ran all the way back down the false front of the green. Responded with a birdie on 8, and parred 9. 39 on the front, looking good.

Back was more of a grind. Eventually birdied 15 to put me at 3 over on the back. 16, 17, and 18 are all holes where you can score. Unfortunately, I'm too type A of a personality to NOT know where my score is. I hadn't actually gone through the card and added it up, but I knew that I could crack the 70s with 2 pars and a bogey.

Bogey. Bogey. Bogey.

Had a pretty good round going last week. Bogeyed #1 (which shouldn't be too difficult to par), but then had pars on 2, 3, and 4. Bogeyed 5, parred 6. Doubled 7 when I missed the green long, and then bladed my chip which ran all the way back down the false front of the green. Responded with a birdie on 8, and parred 9. 39 on the front, looking good.

Back was more of a grind. Eventually birdied 15 to put me at 3 over on the back. 16, 17, and 18 are all holes where you can score. Unfortunately, I'm too type A of a personality to NOT know where my score is. I hadn't actually gone through the card and added it up, but I knew that I could crack the 70s with 2 pars and a bogey.

Bogey. Bogey. Bogey.

Dude, I had the exact same thing happen today, except out front and back nined were flipped. I was +7 after 9, but then played even through 15 (2 bogies, 2 birdies, one par). If I played the last three holes at +1 or better, I would break 80.

Double, bogey, bogey for an 83. Still, 82 is my PB so I was pretty happy.

Last edited:
I shot 46-43 on the Panther Lake course. I’m not sure why I think I can get back to breaking 80.

Well, this weekend proved to me that I'm heading in the right direction. I played a course I hadn't played in about 2 years, from the blacks which is about 6700 and shot 39-38=77. I didn't putt really well, but I hit 13/18 greens and got up and down 3 times. I 3 putted 4 greens and if I could have just 2 putted those, I would have shot a 73. I also kept my birdie rounds going as I birdied 17 to keep it alive so that was a double bonus. The big takeaway here was that I was putting myself in position off the tee to hit good approach shots. I played smart and a lot of times, just played to the middle of the green to ensure an easy 2 putt. Overall, I'm really happy with the outcome on a course I haven't seen in a long time. I'll have another good test this weekend, when I play Fieldstone. This will be a new course to me, so I'm getting there early to hit a lot of putts and get the speed down early to try and keep those 3 jacks at bay.

Broke 80 again past weekend. Par 72 course shot a 76. I got 8 up and downs which for me is plain stupid and I think a record for me personally, also got a chip in birdie. My iron play was ok, I as always pin high or very close and my game off the tee was good too. First 5 holes went par, bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey which is never great as I was pulling everything shorter than a 3 wood.
Finished the front 9 four over and went level on the back. Felt like I could have made a few more putts here and there, I had 2 lip outs so onto the next.

Did it twice this weekend, Saturday I thru up 79 and followed up on Sunday with at 76. Just played nice relaxed golf. Sundays round was fun, 7 bogeys and 3 birdies. The issue when looking back at the score card, I bogeyed all 4 par 3's:banghead:
Need to fix that issue for sure next time out.

Did it twice this weekend, Saturday I thru up 79 and followed up on Sunday with at 76. Just played nice relaxed golf. Sundays round was fun, 7 bogeys and 3 birdies. The issue when looking back at the score card, I bogeyed all 4 par 3's:banghead:
Need to fix that issue for sure next time out.

Some great shooting there. Where did you miss your shots on the par 3's?

Some great shooting there. Where did you miss your shots on the par 3's?

On the short one it was right and bounced down a small hill, just a tough pitch back up to the pin. Next one was left and in deep rough. Next one was left and in bunker (it was like cement) last was short and just burned the edge on the first putt coming back to the hole. The mistake there was chipping past the hole.
Just dumb mistakes that I shouldn't have made.

Congrats on all the low scores guys.

Myself I’m really close. Most of my scores lately have been low to mid 80’s. Looking back on my rounds it’s been a few iron shots here or there that have kept me from breaking 80. The good part is the last few rounds I think I’ve figured out whats going on so I’m anxious to get back out there and break 80. I’ve hit 77 a few times, but it’s been a while.

On the short one it was right and bounced down a small hill, just a tough pitch back up to the pin. Next one was left and in deep rough. Next one was left and in bunker (it was like cement) last was short and just burned the edge on the first putt coming back to the hole. The mistake there was chipping past the hole.
Just dumb mistakes that I shouldn't have made.

I was struggling a lot on par 3's recently trying to work a club in there e.g 140 carry I'd fiddle a low 8 iron in there instead of sending a 9 iron, my friend just said stop trying to hit funky shots and be more aggressive with my club choices. Helped my entire round, but one of my strengths is ball striking.

I was struggling a lot on par 3's recently trying to work a club in there e.g 140 carry I'd fiddle a low 8 iron in there instead of sending a 9 iron, my friend just said stop trying to hit funky shots and be more aggressive with my club choices. Helped my entire round, but one of my strengths is ball striking.

Normally they don't beat me up that bad, the two longs ones, 178 and 189 can be a bit tough. No excuse for missing the short ones 142 and 148.

Hit some really good shots today and made 2 birdies to shoot a 78 (38-40) and burned the edge once again on many putts. It was definitely a day of what could have been.

So played Fieldstone on Saturday, a course I've never played and ended up going 38-39=77. Was able to knock down 2 birdies on the back, but coupled it with 2 doubles :( One of the doubles was the par 3 10th which was playing 135. However, I hit a 7 iron (my 165 club) and came up just short and right into a massive bunker about 8-9 feet below the green. The wind was gusting over 20mph's which made it really tough. Missed a couple of birdie opportunities on the front which would have offset one of the 2 bogeys, but it was a good ball striking day for the most part. Driver was killing it though. I had 4 drives of 290+, with my longest coming in at 305. That was down wind though.

Decided to travel and shake things up.
Kind and the bear wgv 92
The palencia 93
Celebration 90
Back to Home course 40-39

Decided to travel and shake things up.
Kind and the bear wgv 92
The palencia 93
Celebration 90
Back to Home course 40-39

Not always easy to go to a new track and shoot your HC. I enjoy playing course outside of my home course, sometimes I can go shoot my HC others it ends up with scores you posted. Don't get deterred, there is bigger level of comfort on your home course.

I have now broke 80 from the whites, blues, and blacks at my club. That feels really good to have done that.

From the blacks today almost feels as good as the first time ever breaking 80 (probably due to it being the first time from those tees).

79 today, but it was on a Par 70 70/119 so it kinda doesn't count. 13 pars, three bogeys, and 2 MF'n triples for absolutely no reason

In my last 4 rounds, I’ve shot two 80s and an 81 and in each of those I had at least one bogey in the last 2 holes. :beat-up:

Back