Trying to Break 80 Club

41/37 yesterday, one birdie, no doubles

I shot 38-39-77 last week at Sandy Creek GC in Monroe, MI. I started out par-birdie-birdie, and was thinking "This is the day I'm gonna break par!!"
Then I doubled then 4th hole, and added another double on the back nine to sorta limp home. Still happy anytime I can shoot 77 or better, as
that's my age!!

New course, testing my game out on. Saturday found a lot of fescue; 86 with 6 penalties. Sunday I used 1 ball, no penalties, and shot a 79. Keeping my driver in play has been a big turning point in breaking 80 for regularly.

Went out for a round on Saturday afternoon as I had some free time

It felt like I was swinging a club for the first time......lost a ball on the 4th hole when it clipped a tree, got deflected towards thick rough and buried itself, then chunked a chip around the green and walked off that hole with a quadruple bogey, then made another double bogey on the 15th after my approach got held up in the wind and almost didn't clear the water but left me in an impossible spot where I just had to try and hack it out

Had a number of putts just miss or lip out until I finally made a birdie on the 16th

Finished with a round of 84, but there were a good 5-6 shots that cost me a sub-80 round

Latest started pretty well (though I couldn't hit a driver or wood off the tee to save my life...) 3 balls lost in the leaves after good shots which is very frustrating...

Shot 41 out (with a triple) and 46 back (with a few doubles..). Had the putter and Driver been working - would have been pretty close to 80. Shame but there's always next time!

A

A new year and a new goal of breaking 80 50% of my rounds. I know it does not take into account slope and rating, but seeing a score in the 70's is a thrill.

I joined a new course this year and have 6 rounds there this year. I know the course well and can use that to my advantage but the greens are dormant, sanded, and punched, plus my putting is a weakness.

So far I am 3 for 7 in shooting sub 80 with 2 scores of 80 and 81. Working on my putting at home and adding short game work and bunker shots to my range sessions is adding some confidence. Hopefully it continues.

I hope I get to a point where I can be at 50% but right now I'm throwing it out there as 5 times this year. last year was 2x

Hoping this is the year I break 80 for the first time. I do have a very good feeling going into the season. I’m standing over the ball with a level of confidence I’m not really used to. I think a big factor will be my putting. Last year I averaged Just under 36 putts per round which is pretty bad for me

My first post in this thread, looking to break 80 for the first time this year after graduating from the break 100 and break 90 threads over the past 2 years.

Shot an 81 at the tail end of last year, although it was a pretty weak course. I've shot 84 three times in my past 10 rounds (one on a really difficult course!), although I have also shot a 91 and 105 (penalties, tough course for lefties, 43 putts). Random bad swings and errant shots/penalties, and not chipping balls close enough to the hole to get up and down after near-miss GIRs are what really hurt me.

Hope everyone hits their goals this year, let's get it.

Looking to finally break through this year. Shot 2 of my 3 lowest scores last year of 80 and 83 with a low differential of 7.1. With the work I'm putting in I'm thinking it will happen sooner then later, but have to make sure I don't put up and mental road blocks.

I am loving the confidence of the new posts! 2023 will be a good year for this thread!

I have been continuing my work towards this goal during the off-season, and am aiming to break through the barrier at least once this year, and also spend more time in this thread than the "Trying to break 90" thread. My full swing feels like it's in a much better place, I'll have some fancy new sticks to work with this season, and I'm feeling a bit more comfortable behind the flatstick. I came pretty close last year (81), and put up almost 50% of my rounds last year in the 80's. Need to focus on the mental game and getting off to better starts this year.

I'm announcing my presence in this thread for the upcoming season. I had three rounds in the 80s last year. This means I just need to hit two to three fewer really bad shots in one round and I should be able to do it. Now that I know I can scrape out the mid-80s with some pretty poor shotmaking this is doable. You shoulda seen that 30 yd recovery on the 7th hole from the tall fescue I hit between two pines and dropped on the green six feet from the hole and saved par.

I'm announcing my presence in this thread for the upcoming season. I had three rounds in the 80s last year. This means I just need to hit two to three fewer really bad shots in one round and I should be able to do it. Now that I know I can scrape out the mid-80s with some pretty poor shotmaking this is doable. You shoulda seen that 30 yd recovery on the 7th hole from the tall fescue I hit between two pines and dropped on the green six feet from the hole and saved par.
A rescue from the fescue is a beautiful thing! Hoping to see a post about a 70something soon :)

As I posted somewhere else... Between Xmas and New Year shot 75 for 17 holes with one of our short Par 3s being closed. So even with a bogey, under 80 and I'll take that with my 19.5 handicap!!!

A

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

As I posted somewhere else... Between Xmas and New Year shot 75 for 17 holes with one of our short Par 3s being closed. So even with a bogey, under 80 and I'll take that with my 19.5 handicap!!!

A

If you are a 19.5 handicap and you know all you have to do is bogey the last hole to break 80, Chances are you will double the last hole. Still good shooting for 17 holes.

If you are a 19.5 handicap and you know all you have to do is bogey the last hole to break 80, Chances are you will double the last hole. Still good shooting for 17 holes.
Thanks for the vote of confidence 🫤

Last edited:
Thanks for the vote of confidence 🫤

Sorry, I just thinking about my past experiences of trying to break 80. Of the times I have had the chance to do it, I screw it up probably %60 of the time.

Sorry, I just thinking about my past experiences of trying to break 80. Of the times I have had the chance to do it, I screw it up probably %60 of the time.

First time I broke 80 I was off 15 and started birdie, eagle…. That was tough mentally keeping it together. Now I’ve started playing again, I score on my watch so I never know my exact score til I finish. I knew I was playing well but not how well until the bar…

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harvey Penick wrote in his Little Red Book, "There's no reason why the average golfer should take more than three to get down from 150 yards." If you make your goal to get down in three once you have arrived at or beyond the 150-yard marker that most courses have, the 70s are within reach.

To do that, you need a swing that is good enough to put the ball in the fairway a high percentage of the time off the tee.

From there, use that swing to hit the ball on the green, then get your approach putt close - or - hit the ball next to the green and get your chip close.

That's three skills to get good at: hitting the ball reasonably straight, approach putting, and chipping.

That's what I did, and that's what you can do if you dedicate yourself to the task.

Golfers hoping to break 80:

I read this today. Interesting read, though using strokes gained, which most of don't have access to means you have to figure out which profile you are and that can get tricky.

I read this today. Interesting read, though using strokes gained, which most of don't have access to means you have to figure out which profile you are and that can get tricky.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, but I know there are apps/GPS trackers that allow you to track strokes gained, e.g., V1 and Garmin.

Tough pill to swallow after a strong start to the year. Shot an 89 over the weekend with the inability to make good contact on the front nine. 49 front, 40 back, but at least I worked things out after the 9th hole. Tough to hold frozen greens...

Back