Trying To Break 90 Club

52-49 101 yesterday, the cold was brutal and the wind even worse. I was playing the driver really well. I must have hit 11 of 14 fairways but i couldn't hit my irons worth cr*p and was on at least 12 bunkers.

I'm going back today, hopefully it will go well

Sent from my C6616 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
52-40 101 yesterday, the cold was brutal and the wind even worse. I was playing the driver really well. I must have hit 11 of 14 fairways but i couldn't hit my irons worth cr*p and was on at least 12 bunkers.

Good luck and have fun today. The driver was definitely working for you yesterday. Neither of us took advantage of getting off the tee ptetty well.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Yeah, my yesterdays round was +7 after 3 so I decided to experiment with some shots on the front then back to normal for the back (+10). Going back out today to see if it was just one of those days.

First round of year yesterday. Hadn't touched a club since fall. Shot a 44 on the front and was cruising before the wheels fell off. Two 7s and four 6s on the back for a 97. Disappointing to go from a chance to break 90 to barely breaking 100. First round of the year, plenty of time to put in work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

52-49 101 yesterday, the cold was brutal and the wind even worse. I was playing the driver really well. I must have hit 11 of 14 fairways but i couldn't hit my irons worth cr*p and was on at least 12 bunkers.

Get back at Marty. We all know you can do it just have to shake off that Winter rust

Get back at Marty. We all know you can do it just have to shake off that Winter rust
It was a bit better today, but i still struggle with the irons, i shot 98 today

Where are the misses with the irons? For me I tend to hit the irons thin at the start of the season. I can get away with hitting the driver a little thin but not the irons.

I had a buddy who I played with in Florida show me a simple tempo drill on the range.

You start 3 or 4 inches behind the ball, hover it forward over the ball then back to get a look at your club path and then hit the ball on the way back down. Very simple and easy to do anywhere. I used it the other day and it helped me with my transition to impact which after the long winter I always get really quick and it leads to a lots of blocks straight left.

45/44 today on a pretty darn easy course. And it took a clutch up and down from about 60 yards after a penalty stroke on 18 to get that bogey to break 90. I wasn't striking the ball well at all today (Only hit 3 fairways and 3 GIR).. but only had 31 putts, which for me is phenomenal.

At 86 sitting on the 18th tee waiting for a foursome to finish. I've only had one birdie today, so it's pretty iffy... Games been pretty decent, putting has been atrocious though. I had a 4-jack for the first time since I can even remember.

3 rounds to start this year and they have been ugly 93, 102, 102.

My Handicap to end the year was 14 but it is gonna skyrocket when some of those good scores come off.

3 rounds to start this year and they have been ugly 93, 102, 102.

My Handicap to end the year was 14 but it is gonna skyrocket when some of those good scores come off.
That doesn't hurt nearly as much as the avatar. You will get it back dude

That doesn't hurt nearly as much as the avatar. You will get it back dude
Thanks, I put on my "Marty" glasses and I look so much like Mark Crossfield it's scary, lol!

Thanks, I put on my "Marty" glasses and I look so much like Mark Crossfield it's scary, lol!

Hahaha well played

At 86 sitting on the 18th tee waiting for a foursome to finish. I've only had one birdie today, so it's pretty iffy... Games been pretty decent, putting has been atrocious though. I had a 4-jack for the first time since I can even remember.

You're a brave man adding up your score on the 18th tee box. I don't want to know until I'm done.

You're a brave man adding up your score on the 18th tee box. I don't want to know until I'm done.
Haha I hear you I am the same exact way.

Sat there and cooled off while waiting and then double bogeyed the hole. 3W of the tee went a little right and just behind a tree, knocked it up close with a PW, then hit a fat chip, rechipped on, and 2-putted. So I finished with a 92. PUTTING killed me today, I had 39 putts, that's right 39, 22 on the front alone. I compounded my poor putting because I was messing around a little with two putters trying to figure out which one would be the gamer, never settled in with either. Ball striking was pretty good today and I played the whole round with the same ball, which I can't remember the last time I did that either. I think I had 6 or 7 holes from the last round with that ball too, gotta be a record for me.

I had too much time and peaked on my GPS app that I keep score with. Probably shouldn't have done, UGH! I usually don't.

I had too much time and peaked on my GPS app that I keep score with. Probably shouldn't have done, UGH! I usually don't.

Yeah it's hard not to, right?

When I get a long delay I usually get out and play some sort of game to keep me moving and interested... try to chip the ball close to the tee marker or something.

I think it's time for me to join you guys here. I posted in this thread a few years ago when I was playing a wide open course with advanced fairways to mis-hit into that never penalizes golfers for bad shots. About two years ago I joined a club located in a marsh with plenty of woods and spent a year+ back in the average of 105-115 range.

I spent most of last year playing iron shafts that were horrible for me and left me struggling to have any control over my shots. I went back through a fitting process with my instructor at the end of the year and made changes. I still have a tendency to unhinge too early in my swing at times and that combined with my flat swing to the right can lead to some nasty hooks. Since making the club/shaft changes in December last year, my 2016 scores have been -

91, 94, 94, 104, 104, 98.

The last three rounds I've really struggled with the hooks and my home courses have water left of the green on a ton of holes. The 98 was today with zero 3 putts, a birdie, 3 pars, but 6 penalties that led to a bunch of double bogeys. I had a couple of rounds in the 80's last year and feel like breaking 90 would be easily obtainable for me if I'd work out the hook issue. I'm still taking lessons, so hopefully in time I'll get the hooks ironed out to at least a controlled level.

Welcome back -CRW-.
The hooks and pulls are my nemesis too. Weaker grip and slower tempo usually fix it for me but some times my brain takes over and I can't get rid of them.

I think it's time for me to join you guys here. I posted in this thread a few years ago when I was playing a wide open course with advanced fairways to mis-hit into that never penalizes golfers for bad shots. About two years ago I joined a club located in a marsh with plenty of woods and spent a year+ back in the average of 105-115 range.

I spent most of last year playing iron shafts that were horrible for me and left me struggling to have any control over my shots. I went back through a fitting process with my instructor at the end of the year and made changes. I still have a tendency to unhinge too early in my swing at times and that combined with my flat swing to the right can lead to some nasty hooks. Since making the club/shaft changes in December last year, my 2016 scores have been -

91, 94, 94, 104, 104, 98.

The last three rounds I've really struggled with the hooks and my home courses have water left of the green on a ton of holes. The 98 was today with zero 3 putts, a birdie, 3 pars, but 6 penalties that led to a bunch of double bogeys. I had a couple of rounds in the 80's last year and feel like breaking 90 would be easily obtainable for me if I'd work out the hook issue. I'm still taking lessons, so hopefully in time I'll get the hooks ironed out to at least a controlled level.
Awesome welcome aboard. Tons of knowledge in this thread and for me I stay subscribed as motivation. I know I can break 90 and now I am trying to work on making it happen no matter where the course is.

Yeah it's hard not to, right?

When I get a long delay I usually get out and play some sort of game to keep me moving and interested... try to chip the ball close to the tee marker or something.

That a really good idea, thanks man! My chipping and pitching wasn't exactly on point today so that would have been really useful.

Welcome back -CRW-.
The hooks and pulls are my nemesis too. Weaker grip and slower tempo usually fix it for me but some times my brain takes over and I can't get rid of them.

This is a big part of the issue for me. The fix I've found but don't always do, is a combination of slowing the backswing down, making sure I feel like my wrist hinge is more upright/complete at the top of the swing to keep me from getting too flat, and swinging slightly left (especially with my irons).

I've tried weakening my grip, but it's already close to neutral or slightly strong and going weaker feels unnatural for my body and usually leads to poor contact for me. Though, I have no idea if it's just a matter of spending more time with it.

This is a big part of the issue for me. The fix I've found but don't always do, is a combination of slowing the backswing down, making sure I feel like my wrist hinge is more upright/complete at the top of the swing to keep me from getting too flat, and swinging slightly left (especially with my irons).

I've tried weakening my grip, but it's already close to neutral or slightly strong and going weaker feels unnatural for my body and usually leads to poor contact for me. Though, I have no idea if it's just a matter of spending more time with it.
No, I think you're right about the grip. I feel more comfortable with a stronger grip but if the pulls or hooks get real bad during a round sometimes that is all that helps. Slowing the backswing down definitely works. Did that off the tee yesterday and my tee game improved.

Back