Trying To Break 90 Club

We're talking about getting a weekend of golf together in August or September. Check out the WNY thread. Gonna open it up to THP once the details are ironed out.

I know. Just throwing this out there but I am not opposed to driving up that way and we could all meet somewhere in NY or Northern PA... Let's start work shopping this one. Sometime in the Summer

YES! Jesse, you should meet with us then.

YES! Jesse, you should meet with us then.

That would be awesome! September is really tough for me but August could be quite doable, if of course the paperwork is submitted and approved in a timely manner from the boss.

Played up today (5300 yards) to give me a different look. Short game was bad, but I went 47/40 for my first sub-90 round. 9/14 FIR, 33 putts. Two birdies (back to back on 16 & 17) a triple, five doubles, and 4 bogeys.

Played up today (5300 yards) to give me a different look. Short game was bad, but I went 47/40 for my first sub-90 round. 9/14 FIR, 33 putts. Two birdies (back to back on 16 & 17) a triple, five doubles, and 4 bogeys.
Short games travel ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Short games travel ;)
Aye aye Captain. I'm happy that I was making solid contact with my irons today, and getting good height and distance, but not enough that I am overly thrilled with the final results. Play any course at a regular THP distance (~6300 yards) and I'm probably fighting to stay under 100. Fortunately, I have my old notes from my short game lessons, and I can hit that pretty hard. Lesson tomorrow, so hopefully my swing looks somewhat decent in the instructors eyes and we just need a couple tweaks and not an entire overhaul.

Was able to get 18 in after work this evening. went 50/49. I had at least 4 triples.. Once again, had some good drives, but what has been the strongest part of my game - my irons - are totally letting me down. And short game is still terrible.

2nd ever lesson today with a new coach and I was 5 min late and I do hate to be late for such things. Literally ran from the carpark and pulled the customary 7 iron from the bag and was hitting balls within minutes of arriving...

Stopped to have a laugh when the pro noted I wasn't taking any divots with my shots... I suggested that might be the place to start working on my game. Right then, we were off...

In the space of 45 min the pro had me taking divots on nearly every shot towards the end of my allotted time and TBH I'm still finding it quite hard to believe. I couldn't be happier as I've not had near as much time for golf as I would like of late but such a positive lesson sure makes up for it :banana:

Trying To Break 90 Club

Took the day off yesterday after a tough week at work and headed up to my home course to walk 18.

Started on 10 and shot 47 with TWO FOUR PUTTS!!! Gaaaaaah! I hit 5 of 9 greens and had zero penalties but couldn't putt to save my life.

Stopped in the clubhouse for a snack... and there was my boss and 10+ coworkers there for a recruiting event/golf tourney hosting students from the local university. Turns out they had a spot open so they insisted that I join. It was a four man scramble format with 2 putt max.

Ended up paired with two beginners and a young lady (one of the college students). The pro told me he'd seen her take a few swings on the range and that we were lucky to have her. He was right. She won women's long drive by at least 40y and sank 2 birdie putts and 3 more 10+ footers to save par.

We shot an honest -3 and took third. I have a tough time believing the scores that beat us but oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played a quick 9 after work last night, 44 (par 35) with a double to start, hit a sprinkler head that put me in a lateral hazard (penalty). and a double on 8 from a short drive and a bad 2nd on a long par 4. Other than that I felt it was a decent round where I did have some birdie opportunities. One of my partners shot a 32 with 1 double, looks like a sweet goal (yeah right)

Another 18. Another disaster. I'm in need of a lesson. Have the Gauntlet in 4 weeks and my game for some reason is worse than it has ever been.

Another 18. Another disaster. I'm in need of a lesson. Have the Gauntlet in 4 weeks and my game for some reason is worse than it has ever been.

I can say after playing club clash, these are the greatest guys to golf with, even when you are struggling ... I played the worst golf ever there.

I am back home now, and I went to one of the courses I like, with my new Mizuno shot a 91. I played relatively pain free, and that makes a difference.

I suck! 99 today...

Yay! After a frustrating year or so when I've been in the 90's constantly, I had 48/41 today. Though that's barely breaking through, it's a step in the right direction.

Back in the 80's today with a 45/43-88. Played smart golf and used my irons 4 times on par 4's. My iron striking was really good today. Greens were punched earlier this week therefore the 39 putts isnt all that bad. My buddy was playing par until the 15th hole... He finished with a 76, not too shabby!

20160423_zpsmxbavoig.png

Another 90, again extremely slow play on the back

Shot 101 yesterday on a tough course from 6700. I need to keep playing course from longer distances and getting experience from it. I did make a sweet birdie on a par 5,it was awesome.

Some good scores recently and some close ones.
What does everyone think is the biggest thing keeping them from breaking 90 consistently.
- Tee Game (Driver)
- Approach shots (100+ yards)
- Short Game (Wedges inside 100)
- Putting
My driving is pretty inconsistent, but I'm going with approach shots. My fairway woods and irons are even more inconsistent and I just can't hit greens.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Some of my 2nd shots yesterday we down right pathetic haha so that's where I need work. Sometimes it was after a solid drive and wedge in my hand SMH

Wasn't even close yesterday to breaking 90. It was my worse score in a while. I felt decent tee to green, but short game and putting were horrendous.

Some of my 2nd shots yesterday we down right pathetic haha so that's where I need work. Sometimes it was after a solid drive and wedge in my hand SMH
As I'm sure I've said before, I can waste a good drive with the best of them :)

What does everyone think is the biggest thing keeping them from breaking 90 consistently.
- Tee Game (Driver)
- Putting

Kinda a non-answer from me but I'd say it depends on what day you ask.

Some days it's keeping the driver in bounds, others it's the irons, others it's the putter.

The under-90 rounds tend to happen when I either put it all together (rare) OR find a way to mitigate whatever part of the game has escaped me that day.

- Tee Game (Driver)
- Putting
My driving is pretty inconsistent, but I'm going with approach shots. My fairway woods and irons are even more inconsistent and I just can't hit greens.

I like to think that I began playing smart golf. I mean that on a 350 yards par 4, even though I could try and drive 270+, that would leave me with a shot in the 60-85 range. I prefer to take a 4 iron and leave myself with a 130-150 yards shot. My chipping has been decent but these 50-80 yards shot, are still an awkward range for me. I have been playing on punched greens for the past 4 rounds. My putting has been a bit of a let down after going 43 holes without a 3-putt.

My driver has been pretty consistent lately. Courses are still a bit wet (Thanks PNW) but I'm averaging close to 260 yds per drive. My iron striking has been better than ever since I switched to blades. It feels so good to be able to place the ball within 15 feet from the cup 5+ times a round from 150 yards.

The hard part specially for us 15+ handicappers is to be consistent in all of these areas on a given day. :bananadance:

I like to think that I began playing smart golf. I mean that on a 350 yards par 4, even though I could try and drive 270+, that would leave me with a shot in the 60-85 range. I prefer to take a 4 iron and leave myself with a 130-150 yards shot. My chipping has been decent but these 50-80 yards shot, are still an awkward range for me. I have been playing on punched greens for the past 4 rounds. My putting has been a bit of a let down after going 43 holes without a 3-putt.

My driver has been pretty consistent lately. Courses are still a bit wet (Thanks PNW) but I'm averaging close to 260 yds per drive. My iron striking has been better than ever since I switched to blades. It feels so good to be able to place the ball within 15 feet from the cup 5+ times a round from 150 yards.

The hard part specially for us 15+ handicappers is to be consistent in all of these areas on a given day. :bananadance:

Great post and by the sounds of your iron game it sounds like you're in good shape and would expect your scores to consistently get lower.

I wish I had the confidence to hit a different club off the tee but I can overcook a long iron just as easy as a driver.

Great post and by the sounds of your iron game it sounds like you're in good shape and would expect your scores to consistently get lower.

I wish I had the confidence to hit a different club off the tee but I can overcook a long iron just as easy as a driver.

The biggest part of my swing on which I'm focusing is my tempo. I know my upper body went faster than my lower body when I start slicing/power fade the driver. I know it might sound very vague but I simply try to do a smooth back swing without over swinging and fire the hip and let my arms follow the path.

Same thing with the long irons. I used to try and "kill" the ball. Now I simply play my 4 iron like I play my 9 iron. Results have been quite good.

- Tee Game (Driver)
- Putting

Strictly just my opinion, but I think it's a mix of short game and putting. If a person can putt well and has a solid short game you can make up for a lot of deficiencies in the rest of your game. It's also dependent on the player, if you're taking a ton of penalties off the tee that's going to make the biggest difference. The biggest difference I've seen in my game and single digit caps is everything inside 125 though and I take my fair share of penalties off the tee.

Back