Trying To Break 90 Club

Bunkers at Sewailo are certainly hard to avoid!
The more I got in them the more it started creeping in my mind I was not going to get out. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

+5 through 10, then started getting pretty tired.
still pleased with the score.
View attachment 8950550
had a similar round..42/50 finished with a double, double and triple. last hole was a par 5 i was 230 out with tail wind. topped, then ob. should have played safe and walk away with no worse then a bogey.

45/43 for an 88 today.

Welp. My first (ever!) men’s league play went pretty crappy.
Two man blind draw stableford.
What an absolute roller coaster of a round.
I have got to start finding some safe consistent shots.
25FF88E9-B4E8-4515-BF64-A147F9F21132.jpeg

Distributed my suck a bit more evenly today.
Approach shots really hurt, but I did well to really limit blowing up.

Men’s league 18 in the morning. I plan on getting to the range early, working on some approach shots and then hitting the pitching/chipping practice area

347EA321-717C-4932-9ACB-37A2A86D46AA.jpeg

I am regressing. Just could never string consecutive shots together. Reaaaaaalllly struggles with the driver.
I have a match play event tomorrow, and am just hoping to keep it close-ish

B430D400-55ED-440F-A6F9-204DD3D40695.jpeg

I go back and forth between the trying to break 100 and trying to break 90. So I'll go in this one because I'm really trying to break 90. So Thursday, I shot 90. If it weren't for 10 disasters and a three putt on 17, I could have broke 90, easily. But there were 10 disasters. My ball striking was terrible, but I guess I played decent golf. Stableford = 42. I found out how terrible has to play to shoot 90. I was in the woods on 9 holes. I duffed my tee shot on the par 3 third but my wedge shot went on the green and I two putted. I had a snowman on the 5th.

But it's an improvement over my last round of 97 which had three snowmen.

What do I need to work on? I need to stop coming in too shallow. It causes blocks and hooks. I wish there were some videos on how best to deal with uneven lies. Most every video instructor only deals with uphill, downhill and the ball above your feet. Ball below the feet? Nope. I guess they don't want you to see them screw it up. It's got to be the toughest lie in golf.

I am regressing. Just could never string consecutive shots together. Reaaaaaalllly struggles with the driver.
I have a match play event tomorrow, and am just hoping to keep it close-ish

View attachment 8950881
I just glanced at this thread and have seen your past 4 scores. I think you have some game!!! Some birdies in there, other than today lots of GIR's (more than me) and fairways hit. I've started to try and eliminate "blow up holes", by which I mean doubles and triples. If you could reduce those in half, you would break 90 no problem. That round that you shot 90 on 6/24, was a great round until hole 13... keep plugging away, you have the game!!

I just glanced at this thread and have seen your past 4 scores. I think you have some game!!! Some birdies in there, other than today lots of GIR's (more than me) and fairways hit. I've started to try and eliminate "blow up holes", by which I mean doubles and triples. If you could reduce those in half, you would break 90 no problem. That round that you shot 90 on 6/24, was a great round until hole 13... keep plugging away, you have the game!!

appreciate the kind words. Agreed on the blow up holes. The scores add up quickly.
I have made contact with my fitter, and will be taking some lessons from him coming up, so hopefully I can build that consistency!

It's been quite a while since I've posted in this thread. Most of my rounds, lately, have been in the low to mid 90s (I did have a clunker 100+ round a few weeks ago).

Shot another craptastic 95 today. I just can't eliminate the big number holes. I had 4 triples and 4 doubles today to go along with 6 pars and 4 bogeys. I had a decent day getting up and down on a day when I couldn't hit a GIR to save my life (only one of my pars came from a GIR). 31 putts on the day was pretty decent and I had 6 one putts and only one 3 putt.

Man, if I could just eliminate those blow up holes....................

Oh well, out to try it again tomorrow.

best round of the season, shot an 88. with two 3putt bogeys!!! if only i could putt

Well, didn’t do too bad in my match play event today. It was a gross score event, so went up against a 9hdcp, but didn’t get any strokes.
Ended up losing 5&3, so not as bad as was expecting.
we did putt everything out for a side stroke play match.
I left myself some reaaaalllly long putts today thanks to some offline approach shots, but I’m pleased compared to yesterday.

45AE57D4-7D97-46ED-8801-805B2430C089.jpeg

Not sure I've ever been more frustrated with my game. I played twice this past weekend (a rarity for me). Shot a 95 on Saturday with 6 pars (also a rarity for me). Determined to eliminate "the big numbers" I went back out Sunday.........

Shot a 90 with 9 FREAKING PARS! I know that I should emphasize my focus on the 9 pars (definitely a PB) but it's just heartbreaking to shoot that many holes at par and STILL not break 90. I'm at a freaking loss right now. :(

Not sure I've ever been more frustrated with my game. I played twice this past weekend (a rarity for me). Shot a 95 on Saturday with 6 pars (also a rarity for me). Determined to eliminate "the big numbers" I went back out Sunday.........

Shot a 90 with 9 FREAKING PARS! I know that I should emphasize my focus on the 9 pars (definitely a PB) but it's just heartbreaking to shoot that many holes at par and STILL not break 90. I'm at a freaking loss right now. :(

I know your feeling all to well. 9 pars last week and shot a 93. Went out this past weekend shot a 96 with 41 putts! Putting is usually my strong suit which is the funny part.

Shot a 44 the other night on an evening 9 with my wife and our friend. It was both of their first times out all year and they played well too. Fun time!

No lost balls for me. I think I've only lost 4 balls in 63 holes!?! Used to lose 4 per 18 hole round most often. My driver has just been very dependable.

Golf can sure be hard, really working on a better swing this year and I can see the results but I still got the blow up holes and have not been consistent enough through 18. Last time out I had a 42 on the front 9 and feeling good. Then at the turn a huge pile of garbage. Par 5 10th got a nine with two penalties, par 4 11th a 7 with another penalty and the par 3 12th another as my 7 iron off the tee hit fringe and then proceeded to bounce roll down to the water.

UGH!!!!

I am having a break through year, although it hasn't yet translated to consistently lower scores. I tend to shoot in the 96-97 range. But I have figured out the driver and for the first time (as an older golfer) I'm putting it out there 225-250 on good drives which, for me, is a massive improvement. I've also figured out how to hit my fairway woods and that is getting me on or near greens in regulation a lot more often.

So excited for the rest of this summer because I feel low 90's to sub-90's coming. I have more confidence right now than I ever have.

First of all, I'd take heart in those PARs - that means you can consistently play holes well. But it also means you are having a ton of blow up holes. You just need to figure out 'why' you're blowing up. Are you following a bad shot with a hero shot (instead of taking your lumps and taking a safe shot next vs. trying to 'get back' that lost shot)? Is it your chipping and putting? I'd focus on whatever it is contributing most to those high # holes almost exclusively. If you get that figured out or improved, you are going to be in business. Good luck!

I am having a break through year, although it hasn't yet translated to consistently lower scores. I tend to shoot in the 96-97 range. But I have figured out the driver and for the first time (as an older golfer) I'm putting it out there 225-250 on good drives which, for me, is a massive improvement. I've also figured out how to hit my fairway woods and that is getting me on or near greens in regulation a lot more often.

So excited for the rest of this summer because I feel low 90's to sub-90's coming. I have more confidence right now than I ever have.
I do too Boone, I feel like I am striking the ball better than before and feel really good about a lot of the game and I have had stretches where it is reflected in the scores. That is what was so aggravating about the blow up holes. But it will get figured out

Shot a 42/44 = 86 today. 2 birdies, 5 pars, 7 bogies, 3 doubles (all on par 3s, ugh) and a triple. Only 30 putts (8 one putts and 2 three putts), and had 5 up & downs (thanks Callaway PM Grind!). Bad part is that one of the doubles was on 17 and the triple was on 18, so fell apart right at the end. 17 was just a bad tee shot, 18 was bad course management - trying a semi-hero shot out of a bad position when I should have just pitched back out onto the fairway.

I finally broke 90 on my home course. I was cruising for a good while then made things interesting on the last two holes. Ended up with an 89 though. I felt like I was scrambling all day and it seemed like my wedges saved me hole after hole.
Screenshot_20200702-132722.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200702-132722.png
    Screenshot_20200702-132722.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
I finally broke 90 on my home course. I was cruising for a good while then made things interesting on the last two holes. Ended up with an 89 though. I felt like I was scrambling all day and it seemed like my wedges saved me hole after hole.
View attachment 8951522
When you card 4 3's in a round and par a few par 5's it makes breaking 90 much easier. It was discussed a while ago in this tread but improvement on Par 3's is crucial to consistently breaking 90. Well done

47/40 for an 87 today. 5/12 fairways, 5/18 GIR, 32 putts (one 3-putt and five 1-putts). Was +10 on the front, finally woke up on the 10th tee and shot +5 on the back. 7 pars, 8 bogies, 2 doubles, 1 triple.

When you card 4 3's in a round and par a few par 5's it makes breaking 90 much easier. It was discussed a while ago in this tread but improvement on Par 3's is crucial to consistently breaking 90. Well done
Two of the par 3s were playing a little shorter today with the tees moved up about 12 yards. Being able to go down a club certainly helped.

Back