Two 5 Woods & a rules question?

V14_Heels

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, I've had this club in my bag for close to 3 years now. It is without question the club I can make the most consistent contact with and my favorite club in the bag outside of my putter. It's sitting the OEM Fujikura REGULAR flex shaft. I play Stiff and have been fit to Stiff in everything else but something about this club just works for me.

1681292690730.png

I have it set all the way down at 17* and play it mostly on Par 5's where I need a 200-220 yard shot, but I have a gap at 180-200 yards in my bag. I just can't hit my 5i that far.

There's two par 3's that consistently play at 180-200 on my course that I'm always short on.

Question #1 - If I only have 13 slots filled in my bag, can I adjust this mid round for those two par 3's to basically give myself a 20* wood? I'd never use any other *, just switch from 17* to 20*?
Question #2 - If there's outrage about question #1. Is it insane to buy another one of these and crank it up to 20*, choke down a bit and and I perhaps found my 190 club? I can't find this in a freaking 7/8.

I think the first is not allowed but I'm not a rules expert.

On the second, you're not mad, I currently have 2 x PWs in the bag at 41 and 46 degrees.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Adjusting the club mid round is not allowed, but there is no reason you can't have two in the bag.

If you want tobstay within the rules, no adjustments or alterations can be made to a club during the round.

#2 is not crazy at all. You probably want to try yours on the 20 setting before buying another. When you lowered the loft to 17, you opened the club face slightly. When you move it up the 20, you will close it slightly.

By rules you cannot adjust mid round, but if you’re not playing in events or keeping a handicap who cares.

Also, to the second, if you did that you’d be playing a 4w and a 5w, nothing crazy about that, they’d look the same but play different. If it covers YOUR gaps, then that’s all that matters.

How about a 3 or 4 hybrid?

By rules you cannot adjust mid round, but if you’re not playing in events or keeping a handicap who cares.

Also, to the second, if you did that you’d be playing a 4w and a 5w, nothing crazy about that, they’d look the same but play different. If it covers YOUR gaps, then that’s all that matters.
This answer is absolutely spot on. And honestly should be a lot of peoples mentality towards golf. At least be aware of the rules should they matter but if they don’t, play what makes things the most fun for you

I would try a second 5W of that model and play it a different loft. You obviously have confidence in your current 5W. That can’t be overlooked. I hope you find success.

Ok, I've had this club in my bag for close to 3 years now. It is without question the club I can make the most consistent contact with and my favorite club in the bag outside of my putter. It's sitting the OEM Fujikura REGULAR flex shaft. I play Stiff and have been fit to Stiff in everything else but something about this club just works for me.

View attachment 9170843

I have it set all the way down at 17* and play it mostly on Par 5's where I need a 200-220 yard shot, but I have a gap at 180-200 yards in my bag. I just can't hit my 5i that far.

There's two par 3's that consistently play at 180-200 on my course that I'm always short on.

Question #1 - If I only have 13 slots filled in my bag, can I adjust this mid round for those two par 3's to basically give myself a 20* wood? I'd never use any other *, just switch from 17* to 20*?
Question #2 - If there's outrage about question #1. Is it insane to buy another one of these and crank it up to 20*, choke down a bit and and I perhaps found my 190 club? I can't find this in a freaking 7/8.

How about the Radspeed 7 fairway? That’s available for you in a Fuji R shaft on the Cobra site. Turn it down like your F9.

I realize it would create alot of questions in league or tournament, But can I really not handicap a casual round?

I get it I get it. Against the rules, blah, but if I'm honestly only adjusting that SINGLE club to TWO distinct lofts and have that extra slot in my bag...

I didn't realize it's just a 4w vs 5w though, that's probably not enough difference for the gap I'm probably wanting anyway.

I realize it would create alot of questions in league or tournament, But can I really not handicap a casual round?

I get it I get it. Against the rules, blah, but if I'm honestly only adjusting that SINGLE club to TWO distinct lofts and have that extra slot in my bag...

I didn't realize it's just a 4w vs 5w though, that's probably not enough difference for the gap I'm probably wanting anyway.
It’s 3* difference, which for some could be 10 yards, for others could be 20. Adjust what you have and see, see the distances for your own eyes to decide.

As for changing, by rule, if it’s a round you are counting for handicap you can’t adjust mid round. But, if that doesn’t bother you then have at it, no one forces anyone to do anything in this game. It’s about what YOU are comfortable with.

Nope, that’s the rule. A 3H might make sense for what you want. What’s nice about a hybrid over another wood is it’ll flight down comparatively giving you another ball flight option.

The good news is that you’re pretty damn dialed in with that club, certainly makes having two not a bad idea.

I’m floored by the “well known members” that don’t know one of the most basic rules… it’s not like you guys are new to golf.
I agree with others, 2 5 woods set up differently is an awesome idea. I don’t bother with a 3 wood, I have a Stealth2 plus 5 wood lofted down all the way and the moveable weight pushed forward. I hit it better than a 3 wood with the shorter shaft length. And I have another non adjustable 5 wood to be my actual 5 wood.

the number on the bottom of the club is only a number…

I’m floored by the “well known members” that don’t know one of the most basic rules… it’s not like you guys are new to golf.

If this is directed at me. I get it. I get the rule is you can't modify a club, but I'd have to imagine that rule was put into place because people could be adding 6-8 clubs into their bag theoretically if they had 3-4 adjustable clubs. I get the intention behind the rule.

That isn't what I'm doing here though. I have an extra slot in the bag specifically to loft and deloft this single club to, 2 distinct values of 17* and 20*. So...yes I understand it's technically against the rules, but it literally would save me $200 and it is exactly what I would be doing by buying the same exact club and just setting it to the opposite value. I'm gaining no advantage within the game of golf at all.

Moving your ball off of a root, out of gravel, or any numerous other examples I could give that have been talked about on this forum in detail where PLENTY of people still handicap those rounds.

Last edited:
I appreciate everyone saying, what about a 3H, what about a Radspeed 7w, but there's just something about this club that I can hit well.

I don't know if it's swingweight, shaft, shaft flex, I don't know what it is. I've tried a couple 3W, I've tried some hybrids, I can't hit them like this thing nor where near as well.

I appreciate everyone saying, what about a 3H, what about a Radspeed 7w, but there's just something about this club that I can hit well.

I don't know if it's swingweight, shaft, shaft flex, I don't know what it is. I've tried a couple 3W, I've tried some hybrids, I can't hit them like this thing nor where near as well.
As I said, I play 2 x PWs. Go for it!!!

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd try swapping between 17* and 20* a few rounds and see if the magic is there in the 20* setting. In theory you might get along better with a 7-8 turned down since the lie/face angle adjustments will be the same, but you never know. I wouldn't scoff at having 2 of the same clubs if it works for you.

Reactions: Ooo

I agree with Jman. Finding clubs that fit gaps (or sometimes even shots at courses you play a lot) is what matters. There are times when I carry two clubs that cover 180-190 yards. One is a 9w which flies high and lands soft. The other is a 4 utility that has a more boring trajectory. For my home course there are times when I love the height of the 9w but it is windy and sometimes I need a more boring trajectory or a knock down which the 9w doesn’t do well.

Play the clubs that help you score the best without worrying about what is stamped on them.

If this is directed at me. I get it. I get the rule is you can't modify a club, but I'd have to imagine that rule was put into place because people could be adding 6-8 clubs into their bag theoretically if they had 3-4 adjustable clubs. I get the intention behind the rule.

That isn't what I'm doing here though. I have an extra slot in the bag specifically to loft and deloft this single club to, 2 distinct values of 17* and 20*. So...yes I understand it's technically against the rules, but it literally would save me $200 and it is exactly what I would be doing by buying the same exact club and just setting it to the opposite value. I'm gaining no advantage within the game of golf at all.

Moving your ball off of a root, out of gravel, or any numerous other examples I could give that have been talked about on this forum in detail where PLENTY of people still handicap those rounds.

As others have already said - as long as you're not playing in a sanctioned competition, do whatever you want. People do a lot of things that aren't within the rules and still post rounds for handicap, the golf police won't come arrest you for it. :LOL: Weigh out the guilt in your conscience vs. spending $200+ for another club and do whichever works best for you.

Most of us have the same wedge at different degrees so why noy have 2

Back