Ugly Clubs, But Played Great...

collegefbfan

Reaction score
Just curious, what are the ugliest driver(s), irons, hybrids, wedges, and or putters you have ever played, but they gave you great results?

Played a Nike Sumo square 3hybrid great, until I developed the hooks with it. My buddy has it now and still plays it

Can I just say mallet style putters in general? 😆 And I play a mallet style, but I mean they are all mostly just ugly hunks of metal that are relatively just weird when I think about it?

Last edited:
Can I just say mallet style putters in general? 😆 And I play a mallet style, but I mean they are all mostly just ugly hunks of metal that are relatively just weird when I think about?
Hey that’s Mr Hunk of Junk!

(But seriously some are ugly as hell)

I've always had purdy clubs:LOL:

I've never owned any clubs that were ugly (at least not to me). If I don't like looking at them, they don't go in the bag.

I've never owned any clubs that were ugly (at least not to me). If I don't like looking at them, they don't go in the bag.
Yep. Can't do it.

More interested in the numbers on the card ) than the aesthetic preference … and yea lve used some clubs that aren’t the supermodel of golf clubs lol … performance outweighed prettiness.

That said some, of the released iterations over the years have probably tested the boundaries of optics lol

Directed Force/L.A.B. Reno 2.1 and the Cleveland Niblick are the only two that come to mind.

Although... lots of people don't seem to like the look of my L.A.B Mezz.1 Max, either. But I like it.

These looked nice new but did they pick up mud etc in the cavity and the top line was wild.... Used them for a number of years though (and still got them in the garage) with pretty good results - could never blame them it was always me (and still is). At least the Golds were better looking than the originals IMHO.

1678005869808.png

A

My current T300's, the sundial original version are the second set of cast clubs I ever had in 45 years of golf, other than a misguided foray into the Cleveland VAS purchased during a semi-inebriated trip to a resort pro shop in the mid 90's. I tried to hit them for a couple weeks. They liked to hook. A lot.
I don't know which are uglier, but the T300's stay in the bag because on bad arthritis days I can still hit them and get decent results.
I may even replace them with the newer, less offensive T300's.

Ping zing 2 looked like a garden tool vs other irons of the day but they worked for me for about 15 years

Yeah, my first set was Ping Eye 2’s. They looked like something that came over on the Mayflower. Everyone said you can’t find a better iron to start out with. However, I didn’t want to be playing the same clubs Ward Cleaver played. I know, I know. Some won’t get that reference.

Yeah, my first set was Ping Eye 2’s. They looked like something that came over on the Mayflower. Everyone said you can’t find a better iron to start out with. However, I didn’t want to be playing the same clubs Ward Cleaver played. I know, I know. Some won’t get that reference.
Just goes to show how subjective it is. I love the look of Ping Eye 2s, they're an iconic club and have always been one of my favorites. I'd still bag them over a lot of other more modern irons.

Played the ping isi for a number of yrs. Amazing how good equip looks when one plays well.

1433257E-6EBD-4C6E-AEBE-E703A16436D6.jpegMy brother-in-law used this Scotty for a while. Kind of a strange look.

I have a set of Adams XTD irons. Every comment I saw on them in forums seemed to say how ugly they were. I actually held off buying them for while because of that even though every time I tried them I hit them very well. Finally bought them and had my first sub 40 nines. I still have them in my travel bag.

Nike Dymo2 is one of my alltime favorite drivers. I hit so many fairways with that badboy. It looked and sounded horrible lol

I also had a couple of great seasons playing the diablo 3 wood. That one that looked like wayyyyy closed.

VAS? I need to regrip them, but they are actually pretty good irons. They’ll make their way back in my bag for a couple rounds this season.

My spider tour. So damn ugly but I putt solidly with it

Back