UK - Tonic for the Winter Blues...

El Bandito

Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
Morning UK THPers!

How are we all? Winter is well and truly setting in, and sounds like rain, frost and all the joys of winter golf are with us all...

Some of us (well me specifically) are lucky enough to play on free draining courses and have most of the winter on a full course...with maybe one or two winter greens at worse.

Testing interest.

Bearing in mind chat the last time we met, how do we feel about a fun round on Sunday 12th of January on the little all year gem that is Tidworth Garrison Golf Club? Harry Colt designed course with fairways that do not get sodden, tricky greens and guaranteed beautiful weather in January (ok, I made that last bit up.) Societies can't usually get on at the weekend, but if we are happy to go off at 1130 or so, I should be able to get us some slots.

www.tidworthgolfclub.co.uk

I would expect it to be circa £30 for a bacon buttie and coffee, a round and then ham egg and chips to fortify you for the drive home.

The club is just off the A303 and therefore easy to drive to - and Sunday traffic means shorter journey times.

As everyone is likely to be short of cash after Christmas, my thoughts are to have a fun get together without overnight stay or the need to take time off. This may of course put off some of the guys up North...so happy to take advice. I am thinking that for this year, we maybe play for the cup in one or two bigger events when the weather is better and the courses are in tip top condition.

who is in?

I'll get the ball rolling;

El Bandito
Dirk St Moritz

over to you......

That is almost a 4hr 45min drive for me so a bit too far for just the day unfortunately.....

Figured it might be a tough ask for the guys up North - I'm just wary of setting up an overnighter that is
a) just after Christmas when everybody is spent out
b) potentially going to be in awful weather - would be a real killer if people made the effort for a long trip to find course closed / half length etc
so was thinking of putting together a Winter Cup towards the end of winter - just having this one as a fun knock around...

Completely agree with being wary when you can't guarantee weather / course conditions - if we had been down south visiting the kids it would have possibly been a different story for me, but that far in a day is a bit too much

As the current holder of the cup, you need to get thinking about the next event, and no picking a course where you have an unfair advantage.... :alien:

Yep I am in for that one Stu.

I assume there's a Premier Inn or similar local to you?, I might look to come down on the Sat afternoon if your free for a few beers and a curry on the Sat night?

Yep I am in for that one Stu.

I assume there's a Premier Inn or similar local to you?, I might look to come down on the Sat afternoon if your free for a few beers and a curry on the Sat night?

Certainly is - although you would of course be staying at my place:clapp:

And to my knowledge I have still never knowingly turned down a beer...that said, Mrs Bandita would undoubtedly be very offended; so brace yourself for Sicilian home cooking and fine wine...:banana:

El Bandito
Dirk St Moritz
Mav 281...
One more for a fourball????

Completely agree with being wary when you can't guarantee weather / course conditions - if we had been down south visiting the kids it would have possibly been a different story for me, but that far in a day is a bit too much

As the current holder of the cup, you need to get thinking about the next event, and no picking a course where you have an unfair advantage.... :alien:

hmmmm....need a course
1. With big bar
2. so short 3 wood is too much
3. no water
4. greens with windmills...

crazy golf anyone? Will get the thinking cap on!

Damn and blast! I can't do the 12th Jan, sorry chaps :(

Damn and blast! I can't do the 12th Jan, sorry chaps :(
Boooooo.....

actually, don't worry, you need to hit it straight at Tidworth...:alien:

Straight is no fun, need some creative shape to a ball flight!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is almost a 4hr 45min drive for me so a bit too far for just the day unfortunately.....

6 and a half for me :(

Definitely need to kick start a Northern chapter and get some day trips in...

6 and a half for me :(

Definitely need to kick start a Northern chapter and get some day trips in...

:bad: Long way I know...you could pick up the two North East lads...share the driving and it's only 2 hours each....

I'll get my coat....

Personally, when it comes to organising the THP cup, if we are going to focus on quality rather than quantity, then I would aim for somewhere with a marquee course or two, steeped in history and green fees half of England...

so Turnberry, Troon, St Andrews all readily spring to mind:clapp:

Heading north or south from here is fine with me, it is just those at either end of the country that have the longest travels (apart from the mad Dane obviously) whenever an event is at the opposite end of the country, even Celtic Manor is 'only' 4 - 4.5 hours drive and the Scottish courses are all around 4hrs drive as well

Maybe you all need to move closer to me and then the major courses are all within a 4hr or so radius :D

Heading north or south from here is fine with me, it is just those at either end of the country that have the longest travels (apart from the mad Dane obviously) whenever an event is at the opposite end of the country, even Celtic Manor is 'only' 4 - 4.5 hours drive and the Scottish courses are all around 4hrs drive as well

Maybe you all need to move closer to me and then the major courses are all within a 4hr or so radius :D

Thanks for the offer! But - Celtic Manor, less than 90 mins. Sunningdale, Wentworth, West Hill, The Oxfordshire and many many more...less than 60 mins...I'll stick down here in the Tropical South!:clap:

Thanks for the offer! But - Celtic Manor, less than 90 mins. Sunningdale, Wentworth, West Hill, The Oxfordshire and many many more...less than 60 mins...I'll stick down here in the Tropical South!:clap:

Southerners.....pffft..... :D

Certainly is - although you would of course be staying at my place:clapp:

And to my knowledge I have still never knowingly turned down a beer...that said, Mrs Bandita would undoubtedly be very offended; so brace yourself for Sicilian home cooking and fine wine...:banana:

El Bandito
Dirk St Moritz
Mav 281...
One more for a fourball????

So very kind sir - your offer is very much appreciated.

Sicilian home cooking and fine wine eh - shocking! Closest I get to that at home is pizza hut :banana:

Look forward to it mate.

Is that really a conversation you want start.... :D
;)

Ok....maybe a summer house up your way would complete the set! Which day is Summer?:alien:

My Dad was a Bathgate man, so maybe I'll be allowed an ancestry visa if the referendum goes that way...

So very kind sir - your offer is very much appreciated.

Sicilian home cooking and fine wine eh - shocking! Closest I get to that at home is pizza hut :banana:

Look forward to it mate.

Well lad, looks like just us! Must put a note in the diary to book a tee!

El Bandito

Let me check my duties , if you dont mind me bringing Ranger junior ( he is a bandit) as well....

El Bandito

Let me check my duties , if you dont mind me bringing Ranger junior ( he is a bandit) as well....

No probs at all! The more the merrier!

El Bandito , sorry me and the little bandito will have to take a rain check , a twelve hour early shift beckons that day.:banghead:

El Bandito , sorry me and the little bandito will have to take a rain check , a twelve hour early shift beckons that day.:banghead:

Ouch! No worries. Don't work too hard!

Back