Under The Radar Band Recommendations

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This thread is to post recommendations for under the radar, little known bands that play great music and you would like others to know about. Please post the name of the band, a brief description of their music, and a link to Youtube video of one of the band's songs that will give everyone a taste of what they are getting into.

I will start:

The Monophonics

This is a band from San Francisco that I would describe as funk/soul music meets acid rock. They have 6 members and 3 albums.

https://www.monophonics.com/about/

Limp Bizkit?

Whiskey Wolves of the West.

And, one of the two guys that started the band, Leroy Powell, is my favorite musician of the last 15 years or so.

Well...not necessarily new, but I would say go listen to King's X and then Big Wreck. Hugely under-appreciated and still under the radar.

Volbeat is a great band, if you like that kind of music

Picture This: When We Were Young

Saw them at Lollapallooza this year and they were fantastic.

I'm gonna dig deep and go back a few years to one of my favorite "drink beer on the back porch" bands.

Well...not necessarily new, but I would say go listen to King's X and then Big Wreck. Hugely under-appreciated and still under the radar.
I saw Kings X open for AC/DC in Charlotte in 1991. They were pretty good.

Bob Mould ( Husker Du & Sugar) is really talented and has put out some great solo work. It’s his birthday today as well :p. I saw him two years ago at a little place and he absolutely tore it up.

Not sure if these are really "under the radar" or not. If you listen to Blues / Blues Rock you probably know them, but since that isn't exactly mainstream music anymore, they might be unknown to a lot of people.

From the 90's on, The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band has put out really good Blues / Blues Rock music. KWS is an incredible guitarist, and Noah Hunt has a great voice.

Albert Cummings is another good Blues guitarist, been around since the early 2000's.

Volbeat is a great band, if you like that kind of music
Good call, one of my favorites.

Another one of my favorites is The Glorious Sons. Almost nobody has heard of them outside of Ontario or Western New York, but they have a great throwback 1970's rock sound.

Jonathan Edwards is way under the radar. His first album is still one of my top 5 of all time.
Older folks will remember his 2 radio "hits": Sunshine (Go Away Today) and Shanty (which doesn't get airplay any more since it's about smoking pot, but still an awesome song with amazing harmonica work). But the entire LP doesn't have a bad song:

Some faves:

and the two biggies:

I'm never sure if a band is popular or not, so I'll just say you should probably listen to St. Paul and the Broken Bones.

Back