Unofficial World Golf Rankings?

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We all know the OWGR is not accurate anymore due to non-inclusion of LIV Golfers. Datagolf.com also ranks players using Strokes Gained metrics and a moving average. Do you think this is a fairly accurate representation of where we stand right now?

Top 25 pictured, with full rankings on link above.

1709744556124.png

Imagine what ranking Scheffler would be if his putter got hot.

Oh, wait. 😉

I’d think their ranking system is as good and any.

That feels fairly accurate for the current landscape

Probably the best option for ranking while still not being perfect.

Xander @ 2?

Xander @ 2?
It’s based on strokes gained not results. Key difference with some of these guys. Xander is constantly a bridesmaid never the bride.

It’s based on strokes gained not results. Key difference with some of these guys. Xander is constantly a bridesmaid never the bride.
Ah, makes sense then.

We all know the OWGR is not accurate anymore due to non-inclusion of LIV Golfers. Datagolf.com also ranks players using Strokes Gained metrics and a moving average. Do you think this is a fairly accurate representation of where we stand right now?

Top 25 pictured, with full rankings on link above.

View attachment 9246788
It’s a better start than the OWGr that’s for sure. At least it’s applying some sense to performance

If I had to pick someone on this list to have chasing me down with the lead on Sunday, it would probably be Xander.

As for the original question, I think this seems pretty accurate.

I think the DataGolf is much more accurate than the OWGR for sure. I think there are some guys that are too high or too low even on the DataGolf ranking but I can't explain why I say that.

I like this one better......

No, all the little colorful dots and squirrely lines makes it hard to take seriously.

No, all the little colorful dots and squirrely lines makes it hard to take seriously.
We should make our own "Official THP World Golf Rankings."

Those are data points. The dots size represent number of rounds played an each tour and the squiggly line is strokes gained last 90 rounds. Go to the site and they are interactive. It’s data visualization.

How could I possibly take this serious with Brooks not being on this list?

Been reading and absorbing others posts on this subject. Here's my 2 pennies:

Instead of an organization that arbitrarily decides what tours and formats to include, I think golf needs its own PFF.

PFF aims to grade college and NFL football players on a per game basis on production -- independent of stats or which field they play on or who their opponent was.

It'd be great if golf had a service that just measured and ranked a professional golfer's ability and execution of golf shots. Regardless of politics or league or whether it was a shotgun start, etc.

I know this doesn't necessarily correlate to tournament wins. But we'd at least know who's an actually good golfer.

I had wrote this in another thread but there could easily be a better rankings system. This is a good start...It's not like we don't know course rating vs score and etc. I recall reading that Joaquim Niemann's 59 was one of the best rounds in terms of Data Golf in the last 20 years.

You could easily base a ranking around this, with an extra kicker for winning an event depending on tour you are on

Not that hard to do, if this wasn't all politics

Back