Use adjustable loft or shaft characteristics for desired launch & spin

stanwich

Reaction score
Handicap
Mid teens
TL/DR version: which has more influence on launch angle and spin for a given driver head that is adjustable up or down 1.5 degrees: adjusted loft, or shaft profile?

Background: I want to buy a new driver with some soon-expiring Pro shop credit. I know the best answer is “go get fit”, but don’t have time or availability to do that. I currently play a Cobra Fly-z+ with stiff Matrix VLCT ST shaft and like it. Not sure of my swing speed, but probably average 235 to 240 yards. I like what I’ve read about the forgiveness of the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme, so that is what I’m going to buy.

Delimma: i would like a mid (or maybe mid/high) launch and low (or maybe low/mid) spin from one of their stock shaft offerings.

Scenarios: the Xtreme head comes in 9.0*, 10.5*, and 12* heads (each adjustable up or down 1.5 degrees, but adjusting loft monkeys with lie angle). Stock offerings are HZRDUS yellow (low launch, low spin); rogue 110 silver (low-mid/low-mid); TENSEI AV blue (mid/mid); and helium (high/mid-high). I’m not an aggressive swinger so I’m tempted to rule out Hzrdus yellow. I’m a little afraid of too much spin, so tempted to rule out Helium. Leaning more to Rogue than TENSEI, but just guessing.

Finally, the question: if you were unable to demo or get fit, and had credit Expiring you had to spend, would you target mid to mid/high launch and low to low/mid spin with

a) 9.0* head with higher launch/spin shaft (TENSEI or Helium), or
b) 10.5* head with Lower launch/spin shaft (Hzrdus or Rogue), or
c) something else?

Any and all input is appreciated (even the obligatory “go get fit, doofus”).

At the distances you describe, I'd say start with a 10.5 degree head and probably go 12, and dial it down if needed.
Carry distance is your friend, as long as spin is in check. Loft is the biggest determining factor you can start with.
A shaft won't make a 9 degree useable for you if you in fact need a 12 degree.

Shaft tip softness should correlate mostly with how soon of a release one is fighting. If you release too soon, all the "load" on the shaft is lost.
A softer tip makes it feel less harsh at impact then. It's meant for "bad swings." Don't be afraid to use a softer tip if you are fighting swing issues. It can help. (y);)

Out of your options, I would go 10.5 and pair it with the Rogue. The Extreme is already a higher launching and higher spinning driver (compared to the standard) So using that little bit lower launch and spin will put you in that nice mid window you're looking for. But then again, that's just an educated guess with what info you have provided. I've also never used the Rogue so I can't totally speak to performance. I think you'd get along well with the Tensei too. I have used that shaft in the past and it definitely didn't sky the ball either. Best thing is to get fit;)

Actual loft trump everything else for launch angle and spin.
Lie angle should not be a great concern for the driver, since the golf ball will be on a tee.
From what you put on the paper, it seems a mid loft head with low spin shaft is probably what you're looking for. As whether it's the best fit ( for distance and/or disbursement ), you really need to hit the options either on L/M or on the driving range at least.
I would try 10.5/Helium Mid. This is a guess based on your info and bias toward my own preference.

Not the sexy answer but if you want to be sure go get fit. That is the only way you are going to truly find the best combination for you.

Option B with the Rogue

from what you described above

Well, if your cap number is accurate, I'd say you have a swing that will change as you improve. So, I would vote for the most "middle of the road" combo that will allow you to dial in a bit as your game/swing improves.

Not the sexy answer but if you want to be sure go get fit. That is the only way you are going to truly find the best combination for you.
Not the sexy answer, but it’s the sensible answer. And from me, the not popular answer...... I’d be surprised if the shaft made a massive difference to tour spin numbers. Loft and strike (which obviously the shaft can help with) will be the biggest factors.

So before I choose an option, what's your miss and what does your ball flight look like on the course.

Do your drives rise up into the air?
Do they seem to hit a peak and almost stay up in the air for a long time?
Does the ball seem to dive out of the sky quickly?

I haven’t noticed ball diving out of the air. Shotscope shows I hit 53% of fairways, with equal misses right and left. I get good height and carry with my current driver (set to 11*), but have been playing around with slightly lower loft lately for a more penetrating flight with more rollout. Some of my better drives (@11* loft) are lower and more penetrating, and my shorter drives usually seem pretty high. That could be selective memory.

Bottom line, I’m still quite happy with my current driver, but it is the oldest club in my bag so might as well use this credit to upgrade to newer model that is more forgiving and maybe a little longer. I like the suggestion of Hamfist above to go more middle of the road, so currently leaning toward 10.5* and More middling on shaft launch& spin.

And I don’t have an official handicap, so the 36 in my profile is not accurate. I usually shoot mid 80’s, with most of my dropped shots from short game.

TL/DR version: which has more influence on launch angle and spin for a given driver head that is adjustable up or down 1.5 degrees: adjusted loft, or shaft profile?

Background: I want to buy a new driver with some soon-expiring Pro shop credit. I know the best answer is “go get fit”, but don’t have time or availability to do that. I currently play a Cobra Fly-z+ with stiff Matrix VLCT ST shaft and like it. Not sure of my swing speed, but probably average 235 to 240 yards. I like what I’ve read about the forgiveness of the Cobra Speedzone Xtreme, so that is what I’m going to buy.

Delimma: i would like a mid (or maybe mid/high) launch and low (or maybe low/mid) spin from one of their stock shaft offerings.

Scenarios: the Xtreme head comes in 9.0*, 10.5*, and 12* heads (each adjustable up or down 1.5 degrees, but adjusting loft monkeys with lie angle). Stock offerings are HZRDUS yellow (low launch, low spin); rogue 110 silver (low-mid/low-mid); TENSEI AV blue (mid/mid); and helium (high/mid-high). I’m not an aggressive swinger so I’m tempted to rule out Hzrdus yellow. I’m a little afraid of too much spin, so tempted to rule out Helium. Leaning more to Rogue than TENSEI, but just guessing.

Finally, the question: if you were unable to demo or get fit, and had credit Expiring you had to spend, would you target mid to mid/high launch and low to low/mid spin with

c) something else?

Keep in mind spin is your friend and is needed to maximize carry yards based on how you delivery the club head at impact. Of course too much or too little spin will adversely affect the results. You will be able to control spin more with the head than you will the shaft. of course that is assuming a square face at impact because an open or closed face will affect spin as well. In my experience the shaft has helped with spin, but not to make a big difference. I have always used the shaft to control launch and help load the club properly to maximize my swing speed. So I would say find the lightest shaft you can control based on your swing.

I can't really say what head to pick without seeing the baseline spin numbers, but the safe bet would be to go with the 9* head and the Tensei or Helium and tinker from there.

No guarantee without a fitting of course. But based off your description of your drives and what you see as your better ones I like the 9* head paired with the Tensei blue. That head launches and spins on the higher side by design so I'd be a bit concerned the 10.5* might not allow you enough adjustment to find those slightly lower flights you liked. Also, you're going to have plenty of adjustment to get the 9* SZ Ex to launch and spin as high as your current FZ+ if you ultimately decide you need it to. Final answer 9* with Tensei.

Last edited:

c) something else?

Wait, you haven’t been here very long have ya? Expiring shop credit? That’s a first time I’ve heard that phrase here, lol.

You’ll have more options with the 10.5 I would think. You can always adjust the loft down if it’s still spinning too much, some clubs it’s negligible, so clubs it makes a big difference.

I swing WAY up with driver so I have to get as low of loft as I can and it also helps take the bad spin off when I crank that puppy down.

Welcome to THP!

I will just leave this here.

In fact, swings often got the most distance with driver lofts at 9 degrees or less. (It’s still true that golfers who swing less than 80 mph would likely benefit from using drivers with 11 degrees of loft or higher.) Lower lofts can provide more energy transfer at impact because there’s less of an oblique angle. It’s why your 7-iron flies farther than your 8-iron. :

interesting article on why Lower loft may be better for some amateurs.

I have a 90's swing speed and was fit into a Hzurdus yellow but it felt like a 2x4. I have the 10.5 EXS and If I was buying a new driver I would get the Lowest loft available.

Shaft profiles are a good starting place, but they are not factual for all players all of the time. Some players react to certain profiles and the opposite of what is advertised takes place.

The SpeedZone Extreme is a great head, but I have yet to put anyone into a 12* head this entire year. The 10.5 provides plenty of height/spin and you can add loft if needed. If you like the SpeedZone Extreme head and your credit is expiring soon, you can always find a fitter nearby who will do a retrofit and get you into the right shaft without having to guess.

I will just leave this here.

interesting article on why Lower loft may be better for some amateurs.

I have a 90's swing speed and was fit into a Hzurdus yellow but it felt like a 2x4. I have the 10.5 EXS and If I was buying a new driver I would get the Lowest loft available.
Backspin generally helps keeps the shot straighter, overall, which benefits most ams.
Even if you spin it "too much," straight in the fairway at least.

-My shaft is too stiff.
-My present loft is 10.5.
-I need 8.5.
Faulty logic. ;) Never change two variables either, if you can help it.

Just started reading the article. PGA pros have a downward attack angle it says, of -1.3 degrees.
More loft even helps the pros. (y)
Only upward attack angles necessitate lower loft. LPGA players it says hit up on the ball. But, they are much shorter, and do this from a young age to help add height to the shot.

Lots of good info. Thanks everyone for your input. Think I’m heavily leaning toward
  1. 10.5* head, since that gives me a range from 9.0* to 12.0*, and I feel I’m more likely to need loft above 10.5* than below 9.0*; and
  2. Rogue silver shaft. It and TENSEI are more middle of the road then other 2 options, and it looks like rogue is a couple of grams lighter and a little lower torque.
Thanks again!

Back