Used Balls Or Ball Snob?

New. Too many variables in the game to worry about the ball being one of them

New. I’m a big enough variable so I don’t need another problem. It’s the only equipment used in every shot.

Anyone who doesn't feel like hitting used balls, send them to yer ol' buddy, Hamfist. I'll pay the postage.

(Stares unblinkingly at oumagic and his garage full of golf balls.)
I would have to think on that. There is something oddly satisfying knowing I have all of those peasants locked up in the dungeon while I eat cake, sip champagne, and play with my new balls.

For me it depends on the deals to be had. I buy new most of the time when the buy XX get 1 free come out or buy older versions when on sale. I have also bought from the used sites and haven't had any problems but I never go refinished and always buy the pristine level.

I do buy used golf balls at the Goodwill store when I see them. At $1 to $2 a bag it's hard to resist. I use these for practice.

I will also pick up used (abandoned) balls in the short game practice area. These are not the course's range balls. Again, I only use these for practice.

When I play, I always use new balls, fresh out of the box.

Ironically, I don't see that much difference, ball flight wise, between the new, and used balls.

In the Good Old days I rarely lost a ball so I'd play new. Now getting back in I play 3A in Winter and Mint in Summer.
I still have a box of Strata and several of Nike Black that was my preferred ball. That's how LONG ago I was good. 😞

I would have to think on that. There is something oddly satisfying knowing I have all of those peasants locked up in the dungeon while I eat cake, sip champagne, and play with my new balls.
Lol.

Free the proletariat!!

I'm a degenerate ball hawker. While I'm inevitably looking for mine in the woods, I always keep an eye peeled for other strays. there's a course near me that has a hole that is a short-ish par 4 with a 90 dogleg to the left. Off the tee, if you hit it through the fairway it's literally a farmer's field about 15 feet off the fairway. During the summer, balls accumulate, during the fall, when most people aren't playing, the field is cut down, and there's easily 3-4 dozen good quality balls to be harvested.

I'm a degenerate ball hawker. While I'm inevitably looking for mine in the woods, I always keep an eye peeled for other strays. there's a course near me that has a hole that is a short-ish par 4 with a 90 dogleg to the left. Off the tee, if you hit it through the fairway it's literally a farmer's field about 15 feet off the fairway. During the summer, balls accumulate, during the fall, when most people aren't playing, the field is cut down, and there's easily 3-4 dozen good quality balls to be harvested.
Been there, still do that.

Nah the snob part was just fun. I have read a lot where new beginner players should play a soft ball. Is this true? If so, I am fine with it. Just curious. And is there one any of you beginners, or as a beginner, liked a lot? Is there anything wrong with "mint"? Is pristine that much better?

I buy new but I'll play ones I find out on the course. I just won't pay for used ones.

I will buy new ones to play with. I have never bought used and don’t think I would. Even if I find a nice ball on course I don’t play it unless I want to try that particular brand out. They end up in the shag bag or I give them to my son in law.
If I find a ball I like on the course that's in good condition I'll throw it in my bag for use as a water ball, usually keep 3 or 4 balls in the bag for that purpose.

I used to buy/play used balls but now that I am no longer loosing so many I am a Ball Snob preferring New to used.

I buy new. I can afford to golf I can afford a couple dozen new balls a year.

I guess I would be considered a "Ball Snob". If not current models, then NOS of last years models. At least at this point in my golf 'career'. Learning over the years that you have absolutely NO idea where used balls come from or how old they are (for the most part). "Ratings" by various suppliers of used/refinished balls are totally useless. There is no standard across the industry to judge one against the other.

I think in a different thread, I related the story of my buddy who was a "Refurbished ProV1" snob; "they're just as good for half the price", etc... Until we were on a guys trip and he needed to restock- but the little shop we stopped at didn't have any of those, So I suggested that his game could probably use the Chrome Super Softs- priced about what he would pay for his Refurbs. After 9 holes of hitting it anywhere from 10-30 yards further off the tee, I get the: "You know, you might be right about those refurbs..."

"Ya think?"

Last edited:
I will also pick up used (abandoned) balls in the short game practice area. These are not the course's range balls. Again, I only use these for practice.

Hmmm... I can't say I'd be to willing to admit something like that... It doesn't seem Kosher. I would think that those balls could/should be used by everybody who may want to practice a bit without dipping a few bucks for a bucket of range balls. It would seem that folks would like to use "real" balls in that part of practice.

I would kind of compare it to picking up the balls at a golf store that are on the practice putting area to test putters. If everyone did it, nobody can practice/test putters.

i don't play enough anymore that i have to worry about buying boxes and boxes of balls. so it's only new for me. after a round, that ball is dead to me, time for a new one next time.

I buy new. I hit the ball pretty straight, and rarely lose a ball on the course.
My experience with used balls from retail used ball sites has been inconsistent at best. They may look good on the outside, but.....
I usually play a ball 1-2 rounds, depending on whether it's scuffed or not, then it goes into a box that's a back up to my practice tube.
The practice tube gets cleaned up every few months, and replenished with less "damaged" balls.
I like to practice with the same ball I play regularly.

Trust me on the Laddies, $24 for a 24 pack won’t get you in trouble. And you get the thrill of opening a new crispy box.

Not a ball snob but will never buy used or refurbs. Just don't know what you are getting. How long were they soaking under water?
I would rather spend similiar money on maxfli and get a new ball the performs consistently.

I used to buy used when I was married to my narcissist wife who ruled over me. lol Now that I am free I buy brand new ProV1 X balls with number 00 on them all. Love having a brand new, fresh ball and a number that I will always remember when trying to find it. (which happens a lot lol)

Used for me, either from lostgolfballs or a couple other reputable folks I have found on ebay... I get the 4A or 5A, most look brand new and I don't have to spend retail on something that isn't going to last me more than a few holes, lol.

Hmmm... I can't say I'd be to willing to admit something like that... It doesn't seem Kosher. I would think that those balls could/should be used by everybody who may want to practice a bit without dipping a few bucks for a bucket of range balls. It would seem that folks would like to use "real" balls in that part of practice.

I would kind of compare it to picking up the balls at a golf store that are on the practice putting area to test putters. If everyone did it, nobody can practice/test putters.
Myself and others have permission from the golf course director to do so.

I even pick up the abandon range balls that are NOT to be used in the short game area and return them to the cart barn.

Its not the same as practice balls in a store. Those balls are the property if the store.

Our course offers a pretty nice short game area, where golfers can use their own balls to practice. They do not allow range balls to be used there, but golfers still ignore the signage. The problem is people leave 100s of balls scattered all over the area. Lack of manpower prevents the course maintenance crews from picking them up before mowing and other repairs. The director allows the locals to handle it.

Back