USGA missing the mark with GHIN

Just did some "Grint" reading.
Not super excited that Jose is about outsourcing/streamlining jobs in general in his biz ventures/experiences in a quick peek.

Other than when I was a member of private course that held monthly tournaments, I have no use for a handicap and if it wasn't included in my membership fees I wouldn't have one. I'd be curious what percentage of golfers who don't have one really have a need for one or want one. Is the problem being overstated?
same here..... don't have one - don't need one. I am happy to avoid the competitions where you often have people bitching about some rules or someone whose handicap is suspect.

I tried the grint for 2 months, clunky, battery draining, phone freezing garbage. They also didn't have half the courses I play on it and never responded to my emails. Never fear though, I still got weekly emails wanting me to upgrade to the paid version! 😠
Yes, the Grint sucks, two years, 40 bucks, and nothing to show for it.

Yes, the Grint sucks, two years, 40 bucks, and nothing to show for it.
???

I'm missing something here. For $20/yr I get an Official Handicap. What else should I be expecting?

???

I'm missing something here. For $20/yr I get an Official Handicap. What else should I be expecting?
I think they find it lacking as an on-course GPS and/or stat keeper. All the stuff the free version does :sneaky: Wouldn't be the first product where the free part is crummy but the part you pay for (handicap) is just fine. Go figure.

I think they find it lacking as an on-course GPS and/or stat keeper. All the stuff the free version does :sneaky: Wouldn't be the first product where the free part is crummy but the part you pay for (handicap) is just fine. Go figure.
The handicap membership is $20, the pro membership with all the advanced gps shot & stat tracking is an additional $20. And the latter is worth way more than the former. The free part isn't bad, but there are definitely better free ones.

There are a number of zero cost services to get a USGA handicap. For instance, Diablo golf. I have used that app for years and my friends and i track each other.

However, as was mentioned before, if you want to get into any kind of competitive play, having a GHIN number and handicap is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our golf association, the NCGA, has regional E-clubs that folks can join if they don’t wish to join a physical club. I agree with much of what you are saying though, the new handicap system is not user friendly. Many folks I know still have the old ESC system in their head and their caps are nowhere near accurate.

Our golf association, the NCGA, has regional E-clubs that folks can join if they don’t wish to join a physical club. I agree with much of what you are saying though, the new handicap system is not user friendly. Many folks I know still have the old ESC system in their head and their caps are nowhere near accurate.
So does ours. It however seems like a buried footnote. That’s why I want to see something done at the USGA level.

I like the suggestion and would do it if it was free.

same here..... don't have one - don't need one. I am happy to avoid the competitions where you often have people bitching about some rules or someone whose handicap is suspect.

A bit off topic, but this is a big reason why I have no desire in playing handicapped competitions. Teenage girls level of gossip over whose a sandbagger and whose a vanity.

I do agree with this, but I think the reason they don't is because they have their affiliate clubs that rely on getting their members paying for their handicap through them so the clubs can then pay the USGA.

For my current club, we are not a private club, anyone can join as long as they pay the fee. Of our current membership, maybe 35% actually participate in tournaments (and probably 33% play in 80% of the tournaments if not more). Our club could survive if only active members renewed for the 20/21 season, but we would definitely have to adjust rates for those renewing or more likely raise tournament costs in the short term until the 21/22 renewals come up. We are a non profit and have worked to reduce operating costs even before covid, but our membership rate is still $20-35 more than what I am guessing a handicap would cost direct from the USGA so I think there would be decent amount of attrition, even if not immediately.

Now, not all members would immediately leave, but it is similar to when OEMs started selling product direct to consumer outside of the green grass and big box stores: they had to find a path that wouldn't kill those currently buying their product to chase a market that might purchase it.

I am sure it could be done in a way that wouldn't cannibalize the clubs, but at the rate the USGA works I would be surprised to see it happen this decade.

I'm not saying I don't believe you. Just wondering what GHIN gets out of it or maybe what they pay out to be considered THE handicap that is better than all others.
FYI, GHIN is owned by the USGA. So, the more revealing question is "what does the USGA get out of it?

Back