Using Graphite Shafts on Artificial Surfaces

TeeJayeff

Next year is the year.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
15.4 GHIN
Thoughts? I have had one clubhead fly off on the course and another is starting to sound like a broken bat when I tap the ground. A local clubmaker said never use graphite shafts on turf because it damages the epoxy. I'm not a range-rat but unfortunately, most of the range stalls at my club are turf as is a new indoor simulator.

No expert here but my clubs have seen a tremendous amount of artificial turf play. Nearly 3 years of sim play. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts.

Thoughts? I have had one clubhead fly off on the course and another is starting to sound like a broken bat when I tap the ground. A local clubmaker said never use graphite shafts on turf because it damages the epoxy. I'm not a range-rat but unfortunately, most of the range stalls at my club are turf as is a new indoor simulator.
I would disagree with him. Epoxy will come loose regardless. Graphite is so much more versatile than steel that the likelihood of hitting to many balls and damaging the shafts seems really strange. If someone can tell me the graphite weakens over a certain period of time I will bail on the idea. But it’s gonna have to be proven.

Have honestly never heard that synthetic areas would be bad for epoxy.....

I have only ever had one issue with graphite while hitting off mats. Bought a used driver from pro shop, proceeded to hit off mats. 5 minutes of hitting later, with my janky/beginner swing.... aand I broke the shaft off at the hosel lol.

It’s nonsense. Steel shafts use epoxy too, the same epoxy. Sometimes epoxy just fails, be it the epoxy itself or where the clubs are stored in temperature extremes.

I’ve hit thousands of balls with graphite on mats with no issues.

I would be more concerned with my wrists and joints hitting off mats. I never use irons on mats.

Back