UST iron shaft recommendation

mts25

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently playing the Recoil 95 F4's and like the feel of them (moved to graphite last year after starting to have elbow pain). I would like to tighten up my iron dispersion. Driver swing speed in the 105-110 range, 7 iron in the upper 80's with a pretty smooth transition.

I'm thinking the Recoil 110 F5's might be a good fit, but I'm not that familiar with the other newer UST offerings. Since I like the feel of the UST Recoils already I am thinking I will try to stay in the UST family since it's tough to demo shafts sometimes. The only other graphite iron shafts I've tried are the Steelfiber shafts and I hated those.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
I'm currently playing the Recoil 95 F4's and like the feel of them (moved to graphite last year after starting to have elbow pain). I would like to tighten up my iron dispersion. Driver swing speed in the 105-100 range, 7 iron in the upper 80's with a pretty smooth transition.

I'm thinking the Recoil 110 F5's might be a good fit, but I'm not that familiar with the other newer UST offerings. Since I like the feel of the UST Recoils already I am thinking I will try to stay in the UST family since it's tough to demo shafts sometimes. The only other graphite iron shafts I've tried are the Steelfiber shafts and I hated those.

Suggestions?
What did you not like about SteelFibers?

that reminds me. And not to hijack the thread, but which ones do you have in your ParadymX again? I couldn't remember but I know I liked them vs my modus. Was thinking about that and @Mmaynard11 couldn't remember. Was planning an asking when you got back from Ballyhack but forgot again 😂
Recoil DART 95 F4

What did you not like about SteelFibers?

The Steelfibers felt harsh to me. I didn't see much difference in that way from the steel shafts I was playing at the time (that were starting to bother my elbows). The Recoil's just felt a lot less harsh that the Steelfiber's to me. I did not do any long term testing with the Steelfibers though. Just some back to back in the same irons vs. the Recoils and the steel shafts I was playing at the time. I'm sure others could offer much more extensive comparisons than I can.

BTW - Recoil DART 105's are on order now.
I think this was the right choice. Did you go F4 or F5? I think you were right on the cusp between both from your swing speed.

FWIW, my driver swing speed is around 105 to 107 and I play F4s.

The Steelfibers felt harsh to me. I didn't see much difference in that way from the steel shafts I was playing at the time (that were starting to bother my elbows). The Recoil's just felt a lot less harsh that the Steelfiber's to me. I did not do any long term testing with the Steelfibers though. Just some back to back in the same irons vs. the Recoils and the steel shafts I was playing at the time. I'm sure others could offer much more extensive comparisons than I can.
I am very familiar with both. I was just curious as to your thoughts, since you had a strong opinion. SteelFibers seem to be polarizing. People love them or hate them.

I haven’t played the Darts. I have Recoil Protos in a set of irons right now and like them a lot. I hope you love your new order.

JB,
If I remember, you were testing the Dart 90 F3 at one time and now I see you have the 90 F4. Have you noticed much of a difference in feel or playability between the two. I was told by someone at UST that the
90 F3 plays stiffer.

Follow up:

The Dart 105 F4's are in my Mizuno's (replacing the Recoil 95 F4's) and I have a few rounds under my belt with them. So far so good with the Darts.

Feel - I give the Recoil 95's a slight edge in feel, I just love them in that area, very smooth. However, the Dart's feel very good as well (dramatically better than Steelfiber's in my opinion.....different strokes). I'd say the Darts give my 95% of what the Recoil's do feel wise.
Distance - The Dart's are slightly shorter (maybe a yard or two) vs. the Recoil 95's. It's pretty immaterial for my game.
Control - This is where the Dart's really shine and is the reason I got them in the first place. My dispersion has improved pretty dramatically. My miss tends to be a big draw and several times I hit a shot with the Dart's that I expected to look up and see the ball curving well left of the green (my miss with the Recoil 95's) and all I got with the Dart's in a baby draw still finding the putting surface. A+ in that regard with the Darts.
Looks - I do prefer the look of the lighter color Recoil's which are often mistaken for steel shafts at a glance vs. the darker Dart's, but the Dart's are still a very nice looking shaft.

Some of these differences could be due to weight difference of the 95's vs. the 105's, but I have hit the Recoils in the 110 F4 version and still had the miss left. I also could have stepped up to the F5's in the Recoils and perhaps gotten similar results. Just not sure.

Anyway, I am pleased with the Dart's and have accomplished what I was trying to accomplish.

Follow up:

The Dart 105 F4's are in my Mizuno's (replacing the Recoil 95 F4's) and I have a few rounds under my belt with them. So far so good with the Darts.

Feel - I give the Recoil 95's a slight edge in feel, I just love them in that area, very smooth. However, the Dart's feel very good as well (dramatically better than Steelfiber's in my opinion.....different strokes). I'd say the Darts give my 95% of what the Recoil's do feel wise.
Distance - The Dart's are slightly shorter (maybe a yard or two) vs. the Recoil 95's. It's pretty immaterial for my game.
Control - This is where the Dart's really shine and is the reason I got them in the first place. My dispersion has improved pretty dramatically. My miss tends to be a big draw and several times I hit a shot with the Dart's that I expected to look up and see the ball curving well left of the green (my miss with the Recoil 95's) and all I got with the Dart's in a baby draw still finding the putting surface. A+ in that regard with the Darts.
Looks - I do prefer the look of the lighter color Recoil's which are often mistaken for steel shafts at a glance vs. the darker Dart's, but the Dart's are still a very nice looking shaft.

Some of these differences could be due to weight difference of the 95's vs. the 105's, but I have hit the Recoils in the 110 F4 version and still had the miss left. I also could have stepped up to the F5's in the Recoils and perhaps gotten similar results. Just not sure.

Anyway, I am pleased with the Dart's and have accomplished what I was trying to accomplish.
Glad to hear that and appreciate the feedback.

I am very familiar with both. I was just curious as to your thoughts, since you had a strong opinion. SteelFibers seem to be polarizing. People love them or hate them.

I haven’t played the Darts. I have Recoil Protos in a set of irons right now and like them a lot. I hope you love your new order.

I wanted to give a quick update and add some further discussion on the Steelfibers:

I've played the Mizuno JPX 923 HMP's with the DARTs the last few months and had pretty good luck with them. I like the DART shafts. My HMP's are a bit longer than I'd like even set up 2 degrees weak. It was causing some gapping issues for me and I was also having a bit lower spin than I'd like (my home course greens play very firm).

Anyway, I picked up a set of JPX 923 Tour irons recently that had Steelfiber shafts in them and I wanted to follow up on my comments on the Steelfibers since I had a fairly negative opinion of them in the past. I had hit them in a couple different irons in the past and they felt harsh to me. In fairness though, I don't remember the exact specs on those Steelfiber shafts (they have several offerings). Also, the irons they were in were in the "players distance" category and were not the softest heads out there.

The Mizuno JPX 923 Tour irons I picked up (which is a pretty soft head) that had Steelfiber i110 stiffs in them. With this particular combo, the Steelfibers feel good to me. Not harsh, just very solid feeling and the performance/consistency with them is an A+. My consistency numbers using the GCQuad with them are terrific. I really would have trouble asking for better consistency/performance out of a golf shaft.

That being said, a few weeks into playing that set-up, my elbow pain was creeping back in. Based on what I've played, the Steelfibers just seem somewhere between steel and graphite as far as vibration goes. I've since pulled the Steelfibers and gone back to the Recoil DART 105 F4's.

Steelfiber i110 stiff - 110g, 1.9 torque, mid launch
DART 105 F4 - 106g, 2.0 torque, mid launch

For me at least, I seem to be getting 95% of the consistency of the Steelfiber's and a significant reduction in vibration by sticking the DART 105's in the JPX Tour heads. I also seem to hit the DART's negligibly further (we are talking 1-2 yrds on a 7 iron....hardly worth talking about).

If I had no elbow issues, I might have just left the Steefibers in play. However, since the whole reason I went to graphite in the first place is elbow pain.........the DARTs are a better fit for me.

I wanted to give a quick update and add some further discussion on the Steelfibers:

I've played the Mizuno JPX 923 HMP's with the DARTs the last few months and had pretty good luck with them. I like the DART shafts. My HMP's are a bit longer than I'd like even set up 2 degrees weak. It was causing some gapping issues for me and I was also having a bit lower spin than I'd like (my home course greens play very firm).

Anyway, I picked up a set of JPX 923 Tour irons recently that had Steelfiber shafts in them and I wanted to follow up on my comments on the Steelfibers since I had a fairly negative opinion of them in the past. I had hit them in a couple different irons in the past and they felt harsh to me. In fairness though, I don't remember the exact specs on those Steelfiber shafts (they have several offerings). Also, the irons they were in were in the "players distance" category and were not the softest heads out there.

The Mizuno JPX 923 Tour irons I picked up (which is a pretty soft head) that had Steelfiber i110 stiffs in them. With this particular combo, the Steelfibers feel good to me. Not harsh, just very solid feeling and the performance/consistency with them is an A+. My consistency numbers using the GCQuad with them are terrific. I really would have trouble asking for better consistency/performance out of a golf shaft.

That being said, a few weeks into playing that set-up, my elbow pain was creeping back in. Based on what I've played, the Steelfibers just seem somewhere between steel and graphite as far as vibration goes. I've since pulled the Steelfibers and gone back to the Recoil DART 105 F4's.

For me at least, I seem to be getting 95% of the consistency of the Steelfiber's and a significant reduction in vibration by sticking the DART 105's in the JPX Tour heads. I also seem to hit the DART's negligibly further (we are talking 1-2 yrds on a 7 iron....hardly worth talking about).

If I had no elbow issues, I might have just left the Steefibers in play. However, since the whole reason I went to graphite in the first place is elbow pain.........the DARTs are a better fit for me.
Glad to hear you like the Darts. I think they are fantastic.

I love SteelFibers, but am glad you found a good fit for you.

Back