UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

Lamkin ST. See the article in the latest Digital Magazine or thread here.

Made a point to look at those today while at Edwin Watts. Softer feel and seemed to provide plenty of grip.

They had a set of used Mizuno MP20's with Recoil 95's and the MCC grips. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to hit them and honestly, it has me thinking about sticking with the MCC plus 4 grips, since I really like them, even if they are a bit firm. I hit the MP20's pretty well, but even on mishits, it wasn't harsh. If I stick with the MCC plus 4 and I feel like I need to switch, it won't be a huge hassle.

Made a point to look at those today while at Edwin Watts. Softer feel and seemed to provide plenty of grip.

They had a set of used Mizuno MP20's with Recoil 95's and the MCC grips. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to hit them and honestly, it has me thinking about sticking with the MCC plus 4 grips, since I really like them, even if they are a bit firm. I hit the MP20's pretty well, but even on mishits, it wasn't harsh. If I stick with the MCC plus 4 and I feel like I need to switch, it won't be a huge hassle.

On a side note, I also hit the Hot Metals with the Recoil ESX 460 F3 since we had time to kill. Wow! Those felt great! I expected to be all over the place with a light weight regular flex shaft, but it is super stable. Every shot was down the middle and I was getting some solid increases in carry. If I was looking for more distance, I'd be all over these. If the Recoil 95's paired with my Hot Metals feel like that or just close to it, it will be a home run for me. Got me pretty excited about this upgrade.

Still really enjoying the feel of these 95 recoils and the Proto wedges. The protos have performed nicely in the wedges and have performed greatly on partial swings with the wedges into greens. Have been able to get the ball to check up a few times which isn’t too common for me as well. The iron shafts feel great in the release on the ball in the swing. I’ve been able to maintain consistent numbers on my distances and flight with my shots compared to other shafts I had previously tried.
If you still have the proto wedge shaft installed in something I’d love to meet up and give them a go.

I’m between a regular and stiff in terms of SS. How would you folks decide between hard stepping the 780 smacwrap F3 vs soft stepping the F4?

I’m managing a shoulder injury, working on making smooth 3/4 iron swings. My 150 club is 8 iron PXG 0311P. I play the MMT 80 stiff now, but demoed a ping i525 with an F3 recoil 780 and hit it really well which surprised me. But I know the adrenaline can kick in on the course, so in-between is the answer.

Personally I hard stepped a set of Recoil F3’s in a set of Srixon irons a few years ago and in retrospect I think I would have better to have soft stepped the F4’s. My next set was the Smacwrap 780 in F4 (86 gr) which felt better from a stiffness perspective especially in the lower 1/3 (tip). Eventually went back to 95 gram weight in both MMT and Aerotech Steelfibre, both in stiff and find best weight for my swing.

Personally I hard stepped a set of Recoil F3’s in a set of Srixon irons a few years ago and in retrospect I think I would have better to have soft stepped the F4’s. My next set was the Smacwrap 780 in F4 (86 gr) which felt better from a stiffness perspective especially in the lower 1/3 (tip). Eventually went back to 95 gram weight in both MMT and Aerotech Steelfibre, both in stiff and find best weight for my swing.
So sounds like the smacwrap weight was really borderline for you, and going F3 made that a little worse.

The ping fitter thought I should play power spec lofts because I was launching so high. Who knows which would launch lower, F3 hard stepped (less tip) or F4 soft (stiffer but more tip). My ortho doc would like the smacwrap shock absorption and lightest/softest I can stand:)

I looked at the Ping LPGA WITB (my SS similar to them) and didn’t see smacwrap. Lots of other 80ish gram graphite shafts. Ping pricing strongly favors smacwrap however and I’m older and more beat up than the ladies.

Slightly crazy idea, but I did this on GAT 95s years ago - used lead tape to add ~10g to each shaft, without changing balance point, cheap way to tweak weight.

So sounds like the smacwrap weight was really borderline for you, and going F3 made that a little worse.

The ping fitter thought I should play power spec lofts because I was launching so high. Who knows which would launch lower, F3 hard stepped (less tip) or F4 soft (stiffer but more tip). My ortho doc would like the smacwrap shock absorption and lightest/softest I can stand:)

I looked at the Ping LPGA WITB (my SS similar to them) and didn’t see smacwrap. Lots of other 80ish gram graphite shafts. Ping pricing strongly favors smacwrap however and I’m older and more beat up than the ladies.

Slightly crazy idea, but I did this on GAT 95s years ago - used lead tape to add ~10g to each shaft, without changing balance point, cheap way to tweak weight.

At the time I went to Smacwrap from the 95 gm F3's, I reached out to @DannyLe at UST for his recommendations as he is an expert in graphite and his experience is invaluable. Danny for me recommended the F4 in the Smacwrap and he was dead on. They were a great shaft, I just like a little more weight in the 95 gram.

At the time I went to Smacwrap from the 95 gm F3's, I reached out to @DannyLe at UST for his recommendations as he is an expert in graphite and his experience is invaluable. Danny for me recommended the F4 in the Smacwrap and he was dead on. They were a great shaft, I just like a little more weight in the 95 gram.
Thanks for reminding me about Danny, very helpful. I’ve talked to him in the past (couple ortho surgeries ago, was then sorting out 110 fitting).
Mizuno fitted me into 95 stiff earlier this year, will probably go back and test again. Smacwrap is a little light but easier and a little less wear and tear. When I do my full swing, the Mizuno shaft optimizer suggested 105-120g x-stiff, I was hitting the Mizuno 225 full 7i 180 yards with recoil 95. But that swing has no future due to aging (66) and shoulder injuries, really working on a 3/4ish swing for longevity. I’m 6’4” 250, can carry a smooth 7i 160-165 which is enough. Or maybe recoil 95 regular, a little extra weight for feel and to moderate speed.

These shafts have saved me and my body. I was a hurting unit with both Golfer's and Tennis Elbow and haven't even had a tinge of pain since installing these in early 2022!

Thank you Danny and UST Mamiya!

Recoils were my first graphite shafts. I’d been playing steel and fighting pain in my elbows and shoulders into my neck. The Recoils have been outstanding in reducing the vibration that were causing my pain. I’ve loved the performance I’ve seen in the 110 Protos, 110s and 95s. The stability is great. I’ve tried a few other graphite shafts but have quickly realized these perform best for me.

The Recoil shafts are just so good. I remember debating over and over again about which shafts to replace my stock steel shafts in the Mizuno 921s that I had. Ended up waiting for the 923s and got the Recoil 95 F4 in the Hot Metal HLs. This is still a fantastic combo for me and I love the feel of the 95s. I think I could comfortably play them in just about any iron.

With that being said, my Cobra Aerojets have the Recoil ESX 460 F4. I went with these more for the higher launch than trying to get any extra swing speed. I've always had a steep angle of attack and with the stronger lofts of the Aerojets, I wanted the extra help getting the height I needed. The ESX has been a perfect fit for those irons. They'd launch too high in my 923 HLs, but in the Aerojets, they are phenomenal. Super stable through the swing and as accurate as any shaft I've played. Before getting the Aerojets, I had the opportunity to hit the ESX a few times in other clubs and the guys at Edwin Watts and PGA SS all said it wouldn't fit me and it was made for slower swing speeds and I'd be all over the place with it. Not once was that the case. The last Shaft Up got me thinking about that and that conventional wisdom would have steered me away from those shafts. I'm glad I didn't listen and insisted on trying them because they have performed exceptionally well for me.

The Recoil shafts are just so good. I remember debating over and over again about which shafts to replace my stock steel shafts in the Mizuno 921s that I had. Ended up waiting for the 923s and got the Recoil 95 F4 in the Hot Metal HLs. This is still a fantastic combo for me and I love the feel of the 95s. I think I could comfortably play them in just about any iron.

With that being said, my Cobra Aerojets have the Recoil ESX 460 F4. I went with these more for the higher launch than trying to get any extra swing speed. I've always had a steep angle of attack and with the stronger lofts of the Aerojets, I wanted the extra help getting the height I needed. The ESX has been a perfect fit for those irons. They'd launch too high in my 923 HLs, but in the Aerojets, they are phenomenal. Super stable through the swing and as accurate as any shaft I've played. Before getting the Aerojets, I had the opportunity to hit the ESX a few times in other clubs and the guys at Edwin Watts and PGA SS all said it wouldn't fit me and it was made for slower swing speeds and I'd be all over the place with it. Not once was that the case. The last Shaft Up got me thinking about that and that conventional wisdom would have steered me away from those shafts. I'm glad I didn't listen and insisted on trying them because they have performed exceptionally well for me.
I've been pondering hard of a combo of Darkspeed irons and ESX 460 F4 for the Morgan Cup. Exactly because of what you said. They could be a really great high launching combo that goes far and easily.

Recoils were my first graphite shafts. I’d been playing steel and fighting pain in my elbows and shoulders into my neck. The Recoils have been outstanding in reducing the vibration that were causing my pain. I’ve loved the performance I’ve seen in the 110 Protos, 110s and 95s. The stability is great. I’ve tried a few other graphite shafts but have quickly realized these perform best for me.
The Recoils are just really good. After using them most of last year I was given another set of irons that had steel shafts and right away I was just like eww. The Recoils have been swapped in to the new irons and are ready for 2024

I've been pondering hard of a combo of Darkspeed irons and ESX 460 F4 for the Morgan Cup. Exactly because of what you said. They could be a really great high launching combo that goes far and easily.
I think the Darkspeed irons paired with the ESX shafts would be a killer combo. They made a huge difference for me with the Aerojets. I love the stability and the lighter weight lets me make smoother swings. I’d definitely say try them if you have the chance.

The Recoils are just really good. After using them most of last year I was given another set of irons that had steel shafts and right away I was just like eww. The Recoils have been swapped in to the new irons and are ready for 2024
That’s exactly what I said after hitting my old Cleveland wedges with steel shafts awhile back. My Cobra wedges had Recoil 95s. Took the old set out and after the first swing at the range with that steel shafted wedge, I was like “ewww.” :ROFLMAO:

I’ve been playing Recoil Protos for the last 8-9 years I believe. Any wrist and elbow issues I had previously have vanished. Also, I don’t feel like a train wreck after playing.

I’ve been playing Recoil Protos for the last 8-9 years I believe. Any wrist and elbow issues I had previously have vanished. Also, I don’t feel like a train wreck after playing.
It’s shocking at how much of a difference it makes. I switched to the Recoils because with steel shafts my hands, wrists, and elbows would hurt after every round. Haven’t had that problem in a long time now!

Does anyone have experience with both recoil protos and now the dart recoils?

I’ve been in recoil proto 110 F5s for several years but will need to make a switch eventually to Recoil Dart 105 F5s.

Curious if anyone has made a switch and what their thoughts are?

I’ve been in recoil proto 110 F5s for several years but will need to make a switch eventually to Recoil Dart 105 F5s.

Bump

I played Recoil Protos in 95 for close to 8 years.
I made the switch to the Dart 90s after a fitting.
To me they are a bit more smooth at the transition, which is where I thought the Protos shined previously.

There is a feel difference, but its not massive.

I played Recoil Protos in 95 for close to 8 years.
I made the switch to the Dart 90s after a fitting.
To me they are a bit more smooth at the transition, which is where I thought the Protos shined previously.

There is a feel difference, but its not massive.
Thanks @JB I’m looking to move into Dart 105s with my next set so wanted to hear this.

Got to hit the Recoil 95s in my Mizuno 923 HM HLs side by side with the Recoil ESX in my Cobra Aerojets today. Pretty different irons, so not an apples to apples comparison, but wanted to see how they performed. I don't know if it's the extra weight of the Recoil 95s, but I felt like the ESX was easier to get back to square. For a lightweight shaft, the ESX is shockingly stable and really helps get the ball up in the air. The Aerojets are pretty strong lofted and I struggled with some other shafts when I tested the AJ irons, but the ESX is just a phenomenal pairing for me. It's crazy that the Aerojets were getting close to the height I was getting with the 923 HLs. I'm giving credit to the ESX shaft there.

I don't feel like I hear much about the Recoil ESX, even though it's a pretty common offering. I'd love to hear what others think about it. Almost every time I ask to hit a club with the ESX shaft, if they've seen me swing something else, they usually tell me it won't be a good fit and that I'm swinging too fast and it'll be too lightweight. I'm glad I didn't listen, because it has become one of my favorite shafts.

Back