UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

For those of you with Recoils, did you have to add a lot of additional tape under the grips? Or use Midsize grips? I find them to be very undersized

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Interesting question. While I can't speak to the specs of the butt-end of Recoil shafts, they do not seem to be any smaller in diameter than steel shafts. I use the same approach for grips (midsize) and extra tape for steel or Recoil shafts. I prefer no taper in my grip, so I wrap the shaft about 3 times with masking tape and then add about 2 more wraps to the bottom hand before adding a strip of standard grip tape. I do not notice any difference in the overall grip size.

Here's a picture for how this comes out...

d3732fa219c269369d654b86a55d8ee4.jpg

I think it depends which recoils you have. I have the 110’s, and they don’t seem much smaller than steel to me if at all. I could see how the lighter ones potentially use less material to get the weight though, making them smaller diameter. Not positive on that though
I have 95g F4 shafts

For those of you with Recoils, did you have to add a lot of additional tape under the grips? Or use Midsize grips? I find them to be very undersized

I didn't notice it at all. I gamed a midsize grip before and after with no detectable difference in grip feel.

My buddy @Six4Three5 won their Valentine's contest!! Very nice.

8841d80676dc5964b106b5b3b4243f41.jpg
Yeah buddy! I'm pumped!! White and red paint fill will look sick with these!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You handsome bastard. I’ve missed you.

Ridiculous! You gonna throw a heart or cupid stamps on any of those irons?

I’m jealous of that win dude! Can’t wait to see what you think of them, and ultimately with how good they should be. That smooth swing should be able to put a killer move on the ball with these

You handsome bastard. I’ve missed you.
The feeling is mutual my man! I'm still here! Just more of a lurker now, especially when it's under 20 degrees with 10 inches of snow outside.
Ridiculous! You gonna throw a heart or cupid stamps on any of those irons?
Haha I never thought of that. Hearts could look pretty slick actually!
I’m jealous of that win dude! Can’t wait to see what you think of them, and ultimately with how good they should be. That smooth swing should be able to put a killer move on the ball with these
Yeah man I'm pumped. The black and red look so slick! And I've never really spent much time with graphite iron shafts so I'm excited to see what they're like!

The black and red look so slick! And I've never really spent much time with graphite iron shafts so I'm excited to see what they're like!

Ive been using the 110 recoils for the past year or so now, and the results have been very good.

The feeling is mutual my man! I'm still here! Just more of a lurker now, especially when it's under 20 degrees with 10 inches of snow outside. Haha I never thought of that. Hearts could look pretty slick actually!Yeah man I'm pumped. The black and red look so slick! And I've never really spent much time with graphite iron shafts so I'm excited to see what they're like!

Ok so there is no F3 recoil oem 110. Have any of you ssx2 the 110 and could you sense much difference?

I've played F4 95s, liked ok but turned out to not be on my favorite head. Picked up Ping i200s with F4 recoil 110s and had my most precise iron game ever...except felt like I was working a bit toward the longer irons.

Aggravated an injury (again) and over-reacted, going all the way to F4 smacwrap 780. I hit the 780s ok on mid/long end but dispersion is way up in short end. I keep reminding myself that lighter/more flexible = easier = less injury but the 780s are too light.

I can swap for free (playability) so trying to nail the recipe. Right now I'm thinking F4 110s soft stepped a bit through 6i or 7i, then recoil 95s through 4i. Looking at maybe u85s (recoil 95s) on long end to get easier launch.

My 7i ss is now 84-87, apparently hard/fast tempo. Mizuno shaft analyzer rated my tempo 9 lol.

Any thoughts appreciated.

And I've never really spent much time with graphite iron shafts so I'm excited to see what they're like!

When you get north of 50 like my old arse, you will definitely appreciate the benefits afforded by graphite. Have been playing Recoils for 4 years all the way through LW and my wedge game actually improved with the change. Congrats on the awesome win buddy!

Ok so there is no F3 recoil oem 110. Have any of you ssx2 the 110 and could you sense much difference?

I've played F4 95s, liked ok but turned out to not be on my favorite head. Picked up Ping i200s with F4 recoil 110s and had my most precise iron game ever...except felt like I was working a bit toward the longer irons.

Aggravated an injury (again) and over-reacted, going all the way to F4 smacwrap 780. I hit the 780s ok on mid/long end but dispersion is way up in short end. I keep reminding myself that lighter/more flexible = easier = less injury but the 780s are too light.

I can swap for free (playability) so trying to nail the recipe. Right now I'm thinking F4 110s soft stepped a bit through 6i or 7i, then recoil 95s through 4i. Looking at maybe u85s (recoil 95s) on long end to get easier launch.

My 7i ss is now 84-87, apparently hard/fast tempo. Mizuno shaft analyzer rated my tempo 9 lol.

From what I understand, heavier will definitely help with aggresive transitions. I would maybe consider going with a Proto iron if you feel you need more control on your lateral dispersion. If that's not the case, heavier should do the trick. That's a big jump from the 780 to the 110. Right 25g.

I would say the F4 ssx2 would get you really close to where you want to be and I think you’d really enjoy that set makeup. Don’t be shy about throwing them in your wedges too, it’s a steeper swing and a lot of turf interaction, especially if you use your wedges as full swing clubs.

I would say the F4 ssx2 would get you really close to where you want to be and I think you’d really enjoy that set makeup. Don’t be shy about throwing them in your wedges too, it’s a steeper swing and a lot of turf interaction, especially if you use your wedges as full swing clubs.
Thanks, yes still have the 110 in my SW and steel in LW which I need to replace with a 110. I'm 6'4" and play wedges +1" so 110 is very good weight.
I played 110s through the whole set for a long time and then over reacted to the most recent shoulder flare-up by jumping to 780s. Ultrasound guided cortisone shot and recommitment to PT, heat, ice was the solution.
But glad I tried 780s really, no harm given playability deals to swap back. I could see using 780s down the road, good shaft, no complaints, would encourage anyone ready for that weight class to try smacwrap.
But I'm still strong/fit enough to play better with 110s, which are in the scheme of things just mid weight and very injury friendly.
Ust has done a nice job filling out their recoil line, can fit just about anyone.

Thanks, yes still have the 110 in my SW and steel in LW which I need to replace with a 110. I'm 6'4" and play wedges +1" so 110 is very good weight.
I played 110s through the whole set for a long time and then over reacted to the most recent shoulder flare-up by jumping to 780s. Ultrasound guided cortisone shot and recommitment to PT, heat, ice was the solution.
But glad I tried 780s really, no harm given playability deals to swap back. I could see using 780s down the road, good shaft, no complaints, would encourage anyone ready for that weight class to try smacwrap.
But I'm still strong/fit enough to play better with 110s, which are in the scheme of things just mid weight and very injury friendly.
Ust has done a nice job filling out their recoil line, can fit just about anyone.

Completely agree! I’ve got a 780 ES F5 in my Rogue 3h and really like it in that spot and I play the Recoil 125’s, it would definitely be a bit light in irons for me. They do make a shaft for anybody if people are willing to take the time to find out which one works for them.

93e5729aef910a5e2f0e168462f2c771.jpg

Not long now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oooooh! Those look phenomenal, can’t wait to see them built out!

Damn @JourdanInMich.....those are sweet!

Damn fine sticks ya got there @JourdanInMich !!!

Hey boys just ordered the f5 recoil 95 in a Srixon u85 2 iron. I swing my driver 115 and 6 iron 95 on quad. Think I should be good with f5 or will it feel too boardy? May just chuck a project x LZ 6.0 in it when it comes if it is. Unfortunately couldn't test before I bought. Anyone have experience with these shafts in a driving iron? Do they play true to flex? I tend to like a little 'whip' in a driving iron so I know i'm gonna draw it.

Thanks

Hey boys just ordered the f5 recoil 95 in a Srixon u85 2 iron. I swing my driver 115 and 6 iron 95 on quad. Think I should be good with f5 or will it feel too boardy? May just chuck a project x LZ 6.0 in it when it comes if it is. Unfortunately couldn't test before I bought. Anyone have experience with these shafts in a driving iron? Do they play true to flex? I tend to like a little 'whip' in a driving iron so I know i'm gonna draw it.

Thanks

They do seem to play true to flex, but I doubt you’ll have a problem with it. The recoils load so well I think you might like it in the x stiff.

Thanks

I agree with what Baker said, you should be good to go especially since you like to sling a draw out there.

Back