Verdict in Cleveland/Srixon V-Sole

scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
Been reading and researching in sole design of Irons. It started with wedge sole design.

My limited research shows that Vsole is for digger or soft fairways. I live in LA and I usually play local muni where fairway is usually hard/bare. I’m mostly a picker. I rarely take divots unless it’s a wedge.

I have Z765 which I hit good on mats but have difficulty on actual course.
I’m looking for a new set a iron and I found z585 really good price in my specs.
Just wondering if I should just get it or get a different design club. My brain tells me I should get normal sole design but other half tells me it’s me. Not the club.

So what do you think about v-sole? For digger or can sweeper play with it. Especially where fairway is usually very tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are steep or a little over the top, they will probably help.

If you are flat/a sweeper they may contribute to some contact issues.

It’s always best to test, and off real turf if at all possible.

V-sole really helps! I like Hogan's v-sole better than Srixon.

I love V-sole on irons, dislike on wedges. I guess there could be a slim chance it could be hurting you, but I doubt it. If you're hitting well off mats, but not on regular turf, it sounds like you're actually hitting it a bit fat...which i know from personal experience. mats help mask turf interaction flaws.

I'm generally a picker, and very rarely get a deep divot with my irons, particularly as I get up into the longer irons. I got fit into Z785 irons, and hit them far better than all other irons I tried. I don't think that the V sole is going to get me into any kind of trouble with a shallow swing unless I just hit it really, really thin, in which case, that shot is ruined anyway. No kind of sole is going to help me with that. I think it offers real help to a digger, though. I've been concisously working on getting my swing to be a bit steeper, so I'm glad to have that help if I need it as my swing evolves.

I was thinking about Hogan demo program

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hogan demo or they're now available at Club Champion!

I have 765's and I can play them on any surface. I actually like them so much I don't plan on upgrading even this year or maybe next?

It could be AoA also.....

I’ve been a sweeper and got along great with the 565s.

Awesome feature! helps with earth hits.

I don't really know what type of swinger I am (I almost never take divots) but I LOVE my 565s now that I've committed to playing them all the time. I think the v-sole works very well for me...I have yet to be fitted for irons, tho...

Every iron ever should have a Vsole, then I could die happy.

I am a sweeper, and I get along great with the V-sole. Three of my last four irons sets have been V-sole - Z745, Z-Forged, and PTx Pro. The fourth is more normally radiused sole Apex MB. I honestly don;t feel like the V-sole penalizes a sweeper, but that me just be me. I like how predictable or "crisp" they get through the ground.

Back