RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Errrgh. Still “No Walk-ups” at my locals (at least the 2-3 that I play regularly).
That gets annoying when you’re out and decide to play because your schedule doesn’t always allow booking 3-4 days out.
last week I got out of the car, masked up and started toward the starter shack to check for an opening. Get halfway and there’s the sign “No Walk ons, online prepaid only”. Well, crap. So I got back in the car and called the pro shop to see if I could pay over the phone IF they had a slot in the next 20-30 minutes. “Ummm, I don’t know...” He sounded 14 years old. “Is there someone there who does?” “Ummm, I don..” “never mind”.
We can eat inside, have weirdos all over us at Wally World, but can’t stand around OUTSIDE waiting to fill out a 4?

I've had to stand outside and pay online real quick as a single. Does that course do online bookings? Some of it seems silly, but most places I've been to have been forced to update their online tee time and payment method stuff and I actually appreciate that part of this madness. It can make the people working inside even less aware of what's happening and what's available though.

Errrgh. Still “No Walk-ups” at my locals (at least the 2-3 that I play regularly).
That gets annoying when you’re out and decide to play because your schedule doesn’t always allow booking 3-4 days out.
last week I got out of the car, masked up and started toward the starter shack to check for an opening. Get halfway and there’s the sign “No Walk ons, online prepaid only”. Well, crap. So I got back in the car and called the pro shop to see if I could pay over the phone IF they had a slot in the next 20-30 minutes. “Ummm, I don’t know...” He sounded 14 years old. “Is there someone there who does?” “Ummm, I don..” “never mind”.
We can eat inside, have weirdos all over us at Wally World, but can’t stand around OUTSIDE waiting to fill out a 4?
That would be frustrating. Especially if you're someone who doesn't know ahead of time if they'll get a chance to go out. Makes no sense you can't distance outside.

Sounds like they need to get things figured out.

Same here. I’m on the road and sometimes my appointment get cancelled. I have few hours to kill until next appointment. Can’t get in quick nine or even practice green is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a little silly they couldn’t even tell you if there was a tee time. Our course is still the same but will take last minute bookings. Just call and if it’s clear, head on over.

Seems silly on the courses end. No harm in socially distancing while waiting for the starter to fit you in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe rounds booked are so heavy?

The course DOES have online booking, but they don’t always show openings within a few minutes to an hour. I was there at 10:30am, first open online slot showed at almost 3pm! That’s when I called to check. Besides, it was walking only because the place gets real soggy after a soaker like the night before. There almost certainly were slots, but that kid had no clue and I wasn’t going to get myself all worked up over it.
Most courses near me all seem to be online only reservations- no calling the pro shop like usual, so EVERYONE is booking a week ahead to just save a spot. So the sheets are “full” all the time just about.

My course does walk ups and has been since they opened the courses again

I'm just gonna call before I head out. Mid afternoons I hope there is plenty of room. I love fall golf as it starts to thin out a little out there.

Mr RayG,

Welcome to this bold new world where nothing makes logical sense.

I agree that’s pretty asinine. I haven’t checked you locale yet, but I can probably narrow it down to 5-6 states. I’ll check and edit if I’m right or wrong.

Edit: I wasn’t wrong, lol. Good luck sir!

All the courses I play are book online or call in for tee times. I don't really mind calling for my tee time even if it's in the parking lot. That said you can't get a tee time in San Diego right now unless you book at least 5 days out. I like to book my times closer to the weekend but it's been a pretty easy adjustment to just book a week out and make plans around that.

There's a nice public in Little Rock I've been wanting to try, because it's over 7k, and that's rare there. It's booked 2 weeks in advance, and everyone tells me to just show up in the afternoon, but this is the scenario I fear. When I've called and asked, calling them easily confused or uninformed would be generous. Doesn't bode well for a show and play, so I've been waiting for the right day when I won't care if it goes horribly.

It's been a long wait...

There's a nice public in Little Rock I've been wanting to try, because it's over 7k, and that's rare there. It's booked 2 weeks in advance, and everyone tells me to just show up in the afternoon, but this is the scenario I fear. When I've called and asked, calling them easily confused or uninformed would be generous. Doesn't bode well for a show and play, so I've been waiting for the right day when I won't care if it goes horribly.

It's been a long wait...

You’ll still be the best golfer in your group on an off day.

I’m very confused with where you live though, lol. I thought you were Colorado, then Nebraska, now Arkansas?

It doesn’t take much to confuse me.

You’ll still be the best golfer in your group on an off day.

I’m very confused with where you live though, lol. I thought you were Colorado, then Nebraska, now Arkansas?

It doesn’t take much to confuse me.
I lived in Nebraska, moved to AR around July 1, and I had to come back here to NE to organize the movers and do a few other things now that the house is closing soon. Hoping to be going home to Little Rock right after the holiday.

If its too hard to get on a public course, I figure its probably not for me.
Most venues I've ended up at over the years have been due to ease of access and just calling ahead.
I hate when courses have tee times and still won't "secure" a time for you as a single. I'm not contagious?? :LOL:

The course DOES have online booking, but they don’t always show openings within a few minutes to an hour. I was there at 10:30am, first open online slot showed at almost 3pm! That’s when I called to check. Besides, it was walking only because the place gets real soggy after a soaker like the night before. There almost certainly were slots, but that kid had no clue and I wasn’t going to get myself all worked up over it.
Most courses near me all seem to be online only reservations- no calling the pro shop like usual, so EVERYONE is booking a week ahead to just save a spot. So the sheets are “full” all the time just about.
Easy solution, join a private club

Man that sucks. Luckily here I’ve never lost the ability to walk on and play as a single.

I travel a lot and play with groups of buds...But when I am home I play solo a lot and via walk up 90% of the time. If there were other options available to you that allow walk up I'd be moving my business there.....

All the courses around here are wide open for walk-ons after about 8 am right now.

That's because it's already over 100 degrees by 8 am, and it'll be 110+ when you finish. 🔥

Definitely frustrating. Being a meme rd and not having to pay at my course I dint understand it, but that is the rule. They can kiss my hairy white.... oh never mind. ;)

Back