Walker and DeChambeau

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Reading Global Golf Post this morning, I saw a couple of interesting things:

Jimmy Walker played with a steel shafted driver and 3-wood this week. He was messing with his old steel-shafted three wood during the lockdown and said he was "blown away" by how well it worked. He also decided to put a steel shaft in his driver. They are the TT X100. Be curious to see how that plays out. He averaged 322 yards with it this past week.

Bryson worked out a lot during the lockdown. He wants the strength to hit the ball farther. His driver is 5.5º and he is looking to get a 3-wood that is 10º. :oops: His goal is to carry his tee shots 340 yards.

it will be interesting to follow Bryson's journey with this. he was absolutely crushing the ball, but his putting wasn't great. I think he will be a force this year.

it will be interesting to follow Bryson's journey with this. he was absolutely crushing the ball, but his putting wasn't great. I think he will be a force this year.
I agree. Had had he putted just a bit better...

Jimmy also missed the cut and hit 14% of his fairways on Friday. Will I am in the longer is better camp. 14% of the fairways will make it hard to play well

New golf....bomb it and then find it....lol

I know a lot of people like that, but I am not a fan of bomb and gouge golf. These guys are professionals and should find the fairway more often than not, and if they don't there should be a consequence. There is less finesse in the game...just hit it as far as you can, find it, and hit it again.

I don’t think the steel shafts helped Walker that much. He missed the cut and only hit 32% of fairways.

I know a lot of people like that, but I am not a fan of bomb and gouge golf. These guys are professionals and should find the fairway more often than not, and if they don't there should be a consequence. There is less finesse in the game...just hit it as far as you can, find it, and hit it again.

I don't have the time to do a deep dive, but i'd love to know the fairway accuracy and green accuracy rankings for each tournament winner in the 2019 season (since it was a full season). I have a feeling the winners ranked very high in greens hit, and better than most in fairways hit. I don't think guys who miss a bunch of fairways are winning, but I don't know what the numbers say.

I don't have the time to do a deep dive, but i'd love to know the fairway accuracy and green accuracy rankings for each tournament winner in the 2019 season (since it was a full season). I have a feeling the winners ranked very high in greens hit, and better than most in fairways hit. I don't think guys who miss a bunch of fairways are winning, but I don't know what the numbers say.

I just took a quick look at the stats and the guys that are in contention every week are much higher on the driving distance scale than accuracy. Most of the guys you think of in contention regularly are also in the top 50 on GIR.

Wow, they must listen to THP's Off Course Podcast that came out on Friday...

Back