Wanted: Treatment to avoid nightly leg (calf) cramps

Jimmy3864

“JimmyD”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have very tight, huge calves…. I mean I put Phil Mickelson to shame. When I get a calf cramp which occur 99% of the time in the middle of the night while asleep lying in bed, it is excruciating to get out of bed and place weight on heel to release muscle. That is part 1 but the side effect is the after-pain in the calf can last for days and at times cause a limp.

With golf season starting up in the next month, I need to finally put an end to this. I will note I still get them throughout non-golf season, like last night I had 2 separate occurrences.

While golfing I do drink a lot including drinks with electrolytes but still fight leg cramps.

Does anyone have any similar experiences and found a solution that has eliminated these annoying and painful cramps? Appreciate sharing.

Pickle juice

Possibly get more potassium, calcium and magnesium in your diet.
Avoid alcohol and caffeine if you can.

1. Bananas: Rich in potassium, bananas can help maintain proper muscle function and prevent cramps.
  2. Leafy greens: Spinach, kale, and other leafy greens are high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which are all essential for muscle function.
  3. Nuts and seeds: Almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are good sources of magnesium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  4. Dairy products: Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich in calcium, which is crucial for muscle contraction and relaxation.
  5. Fish: Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines are high in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, which can help support muscle function.
  6. Sweet potatoes: These root vegetables are rich in potassium and other essential nutrients, making them a good choice for preventing muscle cramps.
  7. Beans and legumes: Kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils are rich in magnesium and potassium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  8. Avocado: This fruit is a good source of potassium, magnesium, and healthy fats, all of which can contribute to proper muscle function.
  9. Dark chocolate: High-quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa content contains magnesium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  10. Whole grains: Brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat bread are good sources of magnesium and other essential nutrients.
  11. Watermelon: Rich in water and electrolytes, watermelon can help keep you hydrated and replenish lost electrolytes, which can prevent muscle cramps.

I used get them occasionally. I would try to use my other foot to pull enough to get it to release so I didn't have to get out of bed to fix it. I would recommend stretching your calves before you go to bed. Also, eating a banana might help. They have a lot of potassium. They made us eat a banana every day during our football camps in high school in addition to the Gatorade they gave us just to try to keep everyone from cramping up in the SC heat. Still had one year where two guys needed to get electrolytes via IV.

Like other have said same stuff.

What we also do is drink calm before bed, has some additional of those good things in them.

foam roll / massage / percussion therapy those calves, bottoms of feet, and thighs

in addition to the potassium, magnesium, and calcium, some sodium will probably help too. Sea salt is preferable to table salt

I was getting leg cramps at night. I supplemented magnesium, potassium and calcium , worked great

Yes, I was going to suggestCal-Mag also....I take it daily as a supplement

A swig of pickle juice before bed works wonders. It also works pdq if you still get the cramps. Long-term, some of the other things mentioned are good.

I have tried it all, night leg cramps have been an issue for 40+ years for me. For the last few years I have been drinking about 8 ounces of tonic water before bed. It has been life changing for me! Tonic water has a small amount of quinine in it and has been used used for years as a home remedy. It has worked for me with great results. I went from nearly nightly leg cramps to maybe 1 or 2 a month.

As a bonus, if you do get a cramp, add some gin for the pain!

I had a spell of that. Pain is excruciating! No advice I’m afraid, mine just went, but good luck finding a solution.

I have a fellow golfer that is a Geriatric Doctor.
He told me that everyone things is Potassium for the cure however Magnesem is the key to stopping leg cramps.
Also the commercial for I think "TheraWorx" has been showing.
That works when you are stopping the cramping.

For me, if I take mustard (simple yellow mustard) cramps will stop very quickly. Doesn't work for all, but a spoonful (or a packet) will make them quit.

I used to get them when I played and I used the theraworx relief foam and it worked like a charm.

Good luck, waking up with a cramp is brutal.

Magnesium at night and tons of water throughout the day. Adults should consume 80-100 oz of water a day.

Have had same exact issue in the past. I started doing a lot of calf exercise throughout the day, raising up on toes and back onto heels about 50 times per set. Not sure of causality, but no painful cramps in months.

Also keeping tonic water on hand now. If I have restless legs and can't sleep, a couple good swigs has an almost immediate positive effect. I've heard it minimizes cramps as well.

Magnesium at night and tons of water throughout the day. Adults should consume 80-100 oz of water a day.

I take Magnesium supplements every day. When I have been active I double down with some electrolyte supplements before going to bed. I also think rolling the calves on a foam roller and the Theragun help.

I get them in other places as well. My hands will cramp sometimes as will my groin. The groin is tough because they are tough to stretch out.

I have very tight, huge calves…. I mean I put Phil Mickelson to shame. When I get a calf cramp which occur 99% of the time in the middle of the night while asleep lying in bed, it is excruciating to get out of bed and place weight on heel to release muscle. That is part 1 but the side effect is the after-pain in the calf can last for days and at times cause a limp.

With golf season starting up in the next month, I need to finally put an end to this. I will note I still get them throughout non-golf season, like last night I had 2 separate occurrences.

While golfing I do drink a lot including drinks with electrolytes but still fight leg cramps.

Does anyone have any similar experiences and found a solution that has eliminated these annoying and painful cramps? Appreciate sharing.
Most likely diet related. I had/have those in the past and usually low potassium or magnesium was the culprit. I was pretty successful drinking 16 oz of water a couple of hours before bed, and eating a banana or some almonds. I use a foam roller and theragun right before bed and it has all but eliminated them.

I take Magnesium supplements every day. When I have been active I double down with some electrolyte supplements before going to bed. I also think rolling the calves on a foam roller and the Theragun help.

I get them in other places as well. My hands will cramp sometimes as will my groin. The groin is tough because they are tough to stretch out.
If your not getting enough sodium in your diet, you could be lacking electrolytes and their are plenty of brands out there that have them. I've heard good things about LMNT electrolytes but have not tried myself yet.

Good stuff here. One addition you might add to your nightly routine. Find a spot where you can lay on your back and put your legs up a wall. You can use a pillow under the head. 15 min of legs up the wall can help.

Also with bedding, I find my feet get stuck in odd positions with tucked in bedding. Restrictive. I do better with loose sheets.

If your not getting enough sodium in your diet, you could be lacking electrolytes and their are plenty of brands out there that have them. I've heard good things about LMNT electrolytes but have not tried myself yet.

I don’t love the way LMNT tastes. I take NuuN daily as well. I keep forgetting to add another Nuun into my late afternoon/evening water.

I get flushed out really easily and when I do, I get cramps that won't go away for 30+ minutes sometimes. It's absolutely awful. One thing that works for me when I get a really stubborn one is to gargle apple cider vinegar. Something, something, hits a nerve in your throat and releases the cramp. It burns a bit, but it works for me.

Yes, I was going to suggestCal-Mag also....I take it daily as a supplement
This, as well a salt tablets or electrolytes
I use these, variety of flavors..

Last edited:
Possibly get more potassium, calcium and magnesium in your diet.
Avoid alcohol and caffeine if you can.

1. Bananas: Rich in potassium, bananas can help maintain proper muscle function and prevent cramps.
  2. Leafy greens: Spinach, kale, and other leafy greens are high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which are all essential for muscle function.
  3. Nuts and seeds: Almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are good sources of magnesium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  4. Dairy products: Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich in calcium, which is crucial for muscle contraction and relaxation.
  5. Fish: Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines are high in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, which can help support muscle function.
  6. Sweet potatoes: These root vegetables are rich in potassium and other essential nutrients, making them a good choice for preventing muscle cramps.
  7. Beans and legumes: Kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils are rich in magnesium and potassium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  8. Avocado: This fruit is a good source of potassium, magnesium, and healthy fats, all of which can contribute to proper muscle function.
  9. Dark chocolate: High-quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa content contains magnesium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  10. Whole grains: Brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat bread are good sources of magnesium and other essential nutrients.
  11. Watermelon: Rich in water and electrolytes, watermelon can help keep you hydrated and replenish lost electrolytes, which can prevent muscle cramps.
Bingo. Although minus the dairy for me, and add in more water.

At work, to make sure I drink enough water throughout the day, I have one or two cups of coffee in the morning, and then switch to hot water. I'll have 4-6 mugs of H20 that way.

Back