Wanted: Treatment to avoid nightly leg (calf) cramps

Theragun those calfs before bed.

I have done that occasionally and just need to make it just a regular routine although, like I said, my calves are very very sensitive even to the Theragun. Basically I have to just touch the skin otherwise I’ll hit the roof. Thanks for the reminder though I will give it a shot and just put it as an evening routine for three minutes.

Possibly get more potassium, calcium and magnesium in your diet.
Avoid alcohol and caffeine if you can.

1. Bananas: Rich in potassium, bananas can help maintain proper muscle function and prevent cramps.
  2. Leafy greens: Spinach, kale, and other leafy greens are high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium, which are all essential for muscle function.
  3. Nuts and seeds: Almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are good sources of magnesium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  4. Dairy products: Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich in calcium, which is crucial for muscle contraction and relaxation.
  5. Fish: Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and sardines are high in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, which can help support muscle function.
  6. Sweet potatoes: These root vegetables are rich in potassium and other essential nutrients, making them a good choice for preventing muscle cramps.
  7. Beans and legumes: Kidney beans, chickpeas, and lentils are rich in magnesium and potassium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  8. Avocado: This fruit is a good source of potassium, magnesium, and healthy fats, all of which can contribute to proper muscle function.
  9. Dark chocolate: High-quality dark chocolate with a high cocoa content contains magnesium, which can help prevent muscle cramps.
  10. Whole grains: Brown rice, quinoa, and whole wheat bread are good sources of magnesium and other essential nutrients.
  11. Watermelon: Rich in water and electrolytes, watermelon can help keep you hydrated and replenish lost electrolytes, which can prevent muscle cramps.

Thanks for the article. I have read up on it before and I am actually pretty good for probably 60% of what is listed. I just need to continue being more diligent. As far as alcohol goes I’ve been pretty moderate and I find though that it really doesn’t impact my muscle spasms, I guess one of the key items I have found especially after playing golf and hot weather is potential dehydration. I will continue to drink actually even after I get home from golf until bedtime. Annoying thing is so I will get up multiple times in the night after drinking so much water.

i’ll have to check that out, can you actually buy it and if so how much do you take per day?

My wife drinks it from the pickle jar. 🤣🤣

Like other have said same stuff.

What we also do is drink calm before bed, has some additional of those good things in them.

what is “calm” never heard of it?

Everyone beat me to it but potassium, magnesium, and calcium are the keys to preventing those cramps. I bet you could find a supplement pretty easily that would have those 3 together.

Tizandine.

what is “calm” never heard of it?
1680217765043.png

It's a magnesium supplement - it's "supposed" to do all sorts of things, but it's just another magnesium based drink - I don't know how much it helps but my wife enjoys it so we take it mostly every night.

I have very tight, huge calves…. I mean I put Phil Mickelson to shame. When I get a calf cramp which occur 99% of the time in the middle of the night while asleep lying in bed, it is excruciating to get out of bed and place weight on heel to release muscle. That is part 1 but the side effect is the after-pain in the calf can last for days and at times cause a limp.

With golf season starting up in the next month, I need to finally put an end to this. I will note I still get them throughout non-golf season, like last night I had 2 separate occurrences.

While golfing I do drink a lot including drinks with electrolytes but still fight leg cramps.

Does anyone have any similar experiences and found a solution that has eliminated these annoying and painful cramps? Appreciate sharing.
Had the same problem. Cured it by drinking more water. A bottle just before bed, and more if I had night time trips to the bath room to pee. Yeah, I'm that old.

I was always going to bed slightly dehydrated. Just not enough to notice it.

I was drinking too much soda, and iced teas. A friend of mine had the same problem caused by drinking too much coffee.

Doctor told me leg cramps were common in people who drank too many diuretic fluids instead of water. He also said diabetics who pee a lot suffer from leg cramps.

Once I gave up too many sodas, and teas, and started drinking more water, I have been cramp free. Going on two years now.

Not magnesium, but my one friend lives by this stuff... Not sure if it will help with cramps specifically but worth a try.. 🤷
NutriBiotic - Sodium Ascorbate Buffered Vitamin C Powder, 2.2 Lb | Vegan, Non-Acidic & Easier on Digestion Than Ascorbic Acid | Essential Immune Support & Antioxidant Supplement | Gluten & GMO Free https://a.co/d/5rgRTxK

I was having a helluva problem with calf cramps. Started talking magnesium every other evening, after dinner. Problem 99% solved.

N.B.: Most store magnesium is the oxide form, which doesn’t absorb well. The citrate form is better. The glycinate form is best for absorption.

View attachment 9168115

It's a magnesium supplement - it's "supposed" to do all sorts of things, but it's just another magnesium based drink - I don't know how much it helps but my wife enjoys it so we take it mostly every night.
I've used this in gummy variation and really like it.
I do feel like it works.

All the added potassium won’t make much difference without magnesium

I've used this in gummy variation and really like it.
I do feel like it works.
Yeah, we have the gummys as well - those big sugar flakes or whatever is on them is kind of weird and the fact that a serving size is 4 is also strange to me.

I like the liquid because hydration is key but there are nights I take the gummy.

Back