Still waiting for the Rolex's to get back in stock, thinking about adding another Omega to the collection. I love my current Seamaster, might have to get a "dressier" one to tide me over.
I think it's going to be quite a while before you find Rolex on display, regardless of stock. Sad state of the market.

As much as I am after a Platona with a baguette dial, I'm dying to add a Blue Side of the Moon to my wrist.

Housing and travel costs are really eating into my watch budget at the moment though

What says your @ryang13 I see you lurking. I know your taste is watches is impeccable

What says your @ryang13 I see you lurking. I know your taste is watches is impeccable
Much appreciated sir. What's the biggest thing holding you back from a purchase at this point? Just the same paralysis by analysis you faced with your irons?
I think it's going to be quite a while before you find Rolex on display, regardless of stock. Sad state of the market.

As much as I am after a Platona with a baguette dial, I'm dying to add a Blue Side of the Moon to my wrist.

Housing and travel costs are really eating into my watch budget at the moment though
BSOTM is such a heater of a piece. I spent a hot minute wiping the drool off the chin the last time I was at my local AD. If I was going to add another Speedy to the collection it would probably be a racing edition as I have my heart set on another moonphase but that blue ceramic is incredible.

Much appreciated sir. What's the biggest thing holding you back from a purchase at this point? Just the same paralysis by analysis you faced with your irons?

BSOTM is such a heater of a piece. I spent a hot minute wiping the drool off the chin the last time I was at my local AD. If I was going to add another Speedy to the collection it would probably be a racing edition as I have my heart set on another moonphase but that blue ceramic is incredible.

Just dont know what to even look at. I have been out of watches for years. Anything you recommend in the 1k range? I got some other recs in the thread just wondering what you think.

The blue is what gets me. I used to have an IWC Portuguese Chronograph with a blue alligator bracelet, and I loved it. Have wanted something like that ever since. The Omega just takes it so many steps further.

Just dont know what to even look at. I have been out of watches for years. Anything you recommend in the 1k range? I got some other recs in the thread just wondering what you think.
Best advice I could give you, and this is amazing advice I got a few years ago when I was exploring dipping my toes into this hobby - "buy one that you look at it without checking the time". It doesn't have to be expensive, you just have to like it. If I was going to spend 1K right now, without thinking about it too much and I wanted something fun?

If I wanted something a little dressier? Probably something from this line:

Best advice I could give you, and this is amazing advice I got a few years ago when I was exploring dipping my toes into this hobby - "buy one that you look at it without checking the time". It doesn't have to be expensive, you just have to like it. If I was going to spend 1K right now, without thinking about it too much and I wanted something fun?

If I wanted something a little dressier? Probably something from this line:

Doxa i have heard makes solid pieces.

The blue is what gets me. I used to have an IWC Portuguese Chronograph with a blue alligator bracelet, and I loved it. Have wanted something like that ever since. The Omega just takes it so many steps further.
The IWC's with the white dial and blued hands are dangerous to my future retirement plans. For a chronograph with a moon-phase complication, which should in theory be an insanely busy dial, they have done an incredible job of not drawing your eye anywhere it shouldn't be for too long. I love the inclusion of the crescent date indication as well.

As much as I hate to agree, I do. Local AD had a barely worn Starbucks Sub that I was eyeing but they wanted $25k!!! I just can't pay that kind of money for a $11k watch. The BSOTM would be an awesome addition. I looked at a blue Constellation with gold accents and it was gorgeous for a dressier look.

My buddy picked up a AP Royal Oak from a boutique down in the Caribbean a month or so ago. Let me tell you, that was one sexy watch!

Doxa i have heard makes solid pieces.
Pretty iconic, and the stingray style case of the sub 300 is so cool to me for some reason. One of these days I will pull the trigger on one and channel my inner Dirk Pitt, even if Mrs. G says it’s ugly 😂.

As much as I hate to agree, I do. Local AD had a barely worn Starbucks Sub that I was eyeing but they wanted $25k!!! I just can't pay that kind of money for a $11k watch.
That's like $7000 over market right now. I understand they need to keep the lights on, but that is way too much.

The IWC's with the white dial and blued hands are dangerous to my future retirement plans. For a chronograph with a moon-phase complication, which should in theory be an insanely busy dial, they have done an incredible job of not drawing your eye anywhere it shouldn't be for too long. I love the inclusion of the crescent date indication as well.
Speaking of IWC's with white dial and blued hands, I have been eyeing off a Stowa Flieger:

Made to the same original specs as the IWC pilot watches, but more budget friendly.

I stopped wearing my Rolex Submariner back in the early 80's. Its a 1963 5513. It was my dads and a gift when I got my Masters degree. All I do is remove it from the safe and send it in every 5 years for a service at a Rolex service center, even if it doesn't need it.. The service center said leave it as authentic as possible to retain the value. Its just to valuable to take a chance on something happening to it by wearing it.
1963 Submariner5513.jpg

The pricing on Rolex's in my market is crazy right now. I have been thinking about upgrading my circa 2000 Submariner to a newer version, but the markup I would have to pay would be nuts.

I stopped wearing my Rolex Submariner back in the early 80's. Its a 1963 5513. It was my dads and a gift when I got my Masters degree. All I do is remove it from the safe and send it in every 5 years for a service at a Rolex service center, even if it doesn't need it.. The service center said leave it as authentic as possible to retain the value. Its just to valuable to take a chance on something happening to it by wearing it.
View attachment 9120048
That's a radioactive beauty!

The pricing on Rolex's in my market is crazy right now. I have been thinking about upgrading my circa 2000 Submariner to a newer version, but the markup I would have to pay would be nuts.
And to think it has come down like 30 percent or something nuts :oops:

I’ve been hearing a lot of stories the last few weeks of people being offered the “exhibition” watches. I’m sure it’s highly dependent on region but it seems to be getting better

Was super excited for the release of the new alpinist until I saw it was Europe only. Wish they used the strap more often. This would have been an easy addition to my small collection

11087C59-FD99-46A5-A8EA-A720306144BB.jpeg

I’ve been hearing a lot of stories the last few weeks of people being offered the “exhibition” watches. I’m sure it’s highly dependent on region but it seems to be getting better
I've heard the "Exhibition" watches are missing some of the movements, that's why they can't sell them. I could be totally wrong but that's what I've heard.

Last AD I went into was in Cologne, Germany and they said they had a list of a few thousand people they could call to pick up any men's watch at that time. He said the vast majority are flippers. Therein lies the biggest problem. Many of us want them to enjoy and respect the art/engineering, but there are some that just want to buy and flip.

I've heard the "Exhibition" watches are missing some of the movements, that's why they can't sell them. I could be totally wrong but that's what I've heard.

Last AD I went into was in Cologne, Germany and they said they had a list of a few thousand people they could call to pick up any men's watch at that time. He said the vast majority are flippers. Therein lies the biggest problem. Many of us want them to enjoy and respect the art/engineering, but there are some that just want to buy and flip.
That is a common rumor with the exhibition models but personally I find that to be false. I’ve been to multiple ADs with functioning exhibition models. In my eyes it doesn’t make sense some would receive real models while others receive a replica.

That said, most of the chatter I’ve seen about people getting watches out of the case, or with a really short wait, has been in the US. Things seem to be pretty crazy in Europe still if you want something other than a black OP or a DJ

I find that very hard to believe. No talk on any of the big FB groups or forums. From what my AD has always told me, anyway, is that most of the exhibition watches are not in sellable condition i.e. non working movements or flaws, etc. The term coming from your ability to exhibit the piece for potential clients, and they can try it on.

The truth of the matter is that many ADs now have plenty of stock. You just need to be in the know.

I find that very hard to believe. No talk on any of the big FB groups or forums. From what my AD has always told me, anyway, is that most of the exhibition watches are not in sellable condition i.e. non working movements or flaws, etc. The term coming from your ability to exhibit the piece for potential clients, and they can try it on.

The truth of the matter is that many ADs now have plenty of stock. You just need to be in the know.
On TRF I feel like I’ve seen people walking in and asking for a sub no date or DJ and being offered it from the back. There were a few instances of people seeing stuff in the case and being offered it as well. The latest was a YM. That forum is a small sample size though. In general, it’s not a good time to be a new customer

Back