Wedge bounce options - high / low

I used to vary the bounce between my wedges but just got a true wedge fitting and was told only to go between 6-8 degrees on all my wedges 54-58. Works great when playing but finding a low bounce 54 is hard now that vokey dropped it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told years ago that you should have a big bounce for your sand wedge and small bounce on a lob wedge. Thinking about adding a lob wedge so I would have 56 S 10 deg bounce and 60 M 8 deg bounce.

I ended up with MD5’s 56 & 60 wide sole and had them bent to 55 and 59 taking the bounce from 12 to 11. For me they work well off of both hard and soft conditions.

Outside of the set wedges, I carry an S grind 54/10* and M grind 60/8*. I don't open the 54 much but will if I need too, the 60 does all kinds of stuff.
I prefer lower bounces as I think they give me more options.

I like high bounce in my higher loft wedges as that is what I generally play out of green side bunkers. I also prefer it to have plenty of relief in the grind so that the club can be flexible in other green side shots that might be needed.

My sand wedge has a little less bounce as I generally play it square or de-lofted for a knock down shot.

I like high bounce in my higher loft wedges as that is what I generally play out of green side bunkers. I also prefer it to have plenty of relief in the grind so that the club can be flexible in other green side shots that might be needed.

This ^^^

My 53 has 11 of bounce with an M Grind (not excessive heel, toe, trailing edge relief; the 58 has 12 bounce with a C grind (more relief than the 53).

I play in tight conditions and other than loose sand near a fairway, I have no issues with versatility and opening the face or laying it back. With any loose sand near a fairway, I take a lower bounce Gap or PW and play it slightly back in my stance.

Play Mizuno MP T20 Wedges and usually set up with more weight on my lead foot, with a narrow stance for pitches and chips with ball in the middle or forward with the shaft straight up or down (vertical) for my stock shot - in that way, I use the bounce.

Back