Wedge fitting or wedge practice?

Hackapotamus

Reaction score
Handicap
My plan is to really crack down on my wedge game — not only on that pesky 40-100 yard range but also green side and bunker shots. I want to devote the majority of my limited practice time to wedges.

I’m also overdue for new wedges. Does it make more sense to practice for a few months or a year with my ancient Vokeys, then get new sticks? Or to get fitted for new wedges and then learn how to make them do my bidding?

Chicken (wing) or egg?

Practice is always good but new grooves will do wonders.

My plan is to really crack down on my wedge game — not only on that pesky 40-100 yard range but also green side and bunker shots. I want to devote the majority of my limited practice time to wedges.

I’m also overdue for new wedges. Does it make more sense to practice for a few months or a year with my ancient Vokeys, then get new sticks? Or to get fitted for new wedges and then learn how to make them do my bidding?

Chicken (wing) or egg?
Winter is coming. I pretend I’d go the practice route and keep an eye out for off season sales and new releases. You’re gonna be rusty come the new season anyway and new wedges in the new year are a perfect excuse.

In reality, I just bought a new 58* to test out even though my current wedges are doing pretty good and their grooves are still pretty fresh.

Chicken (wing) or egg?
How confident are you that you have the right lofts and grinds?

How confident are you that you have the right lofts and grinds?
Not very. I’d like more bounce in my SW and less bounce and more relief in my LW. Also curious if a lighter shaft than S200 would make a difference. Would love to have a qualified fitter help answer those questions.

Not very. I’d like more bounce in my SW and less bounce and more relief in my LW. Also curious if a lighter shaft than S200 would make a difference. Would love to have a qualified fitter help answer those questions.
If that's the case, IMO it's unlikely you'll practice yourself "out" of the recommend grinds if you get fit now.

I’m might take the opposite route and practice with what I have, thought being I might know better what I want/need when the time comes for new stuff.

Which is why my driver is 13 years old. :rolleyes:

Get help selecting the new wedges and then get after the practice. Practicing with worn out wedges and wedges that don't have the proper set up of bounce and grind, will hinder your improvement. Take the opportunity to assess the shafts in the wedges too.

Get the new sticks and get to work!

Get help selecting the new wedges and then get after the practice. Practicing with worn out wedges and wedges that don't have the proper set up of bounce and grind, will hinder your improvement. Take the opportunity to assess the shafts in the wedges too.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Why learn to drive on a Camry if you're going to be driving a pickup truck every day?

Practice first then do the fitting. Always better to get equipment that fits your swing rather than fit your swing to the equipment

Practice first then do the fitting. Always better to get equipment that fits your swing rather than fit your swing to the equipment

That’s kinda how I do, but don’t believe there’s really a wrong answer. I have a problem laying out cash first then wishing for something else later.

Tightwadaphobia and golf don’t mix.

:LOL:

I got a wedge fitting but it was indoors, would recommend making sure you can do it outdoors if possible. felt like i didn't get the full experience i would of liked.

I’m in the same boat as you, despite saying I was committing more time in 2023, work got in the way and I end up devoting pretty well nil to my wedge (chipping & pitching) game.

I do have a full 2 years with my existing wedges and am going back to a regular non-full toe wedge in 2024. I am going to do some testing when I can to figure out the best grinds then probably purchase in spring 2024 when the new models get released. I went all in on the full toe couple of years ago with zero testing and for me just have seen my short game deteriorate. Partly due to no practice and secondly confidence in the shape. Good luck with your decision but I do luv new grooves.

My observation is that the vast majority of people would be better off avoiding the blade wedges and playing a cavity back like the Callaway CB ot Cleveland CBX Zipcore. If one plays GI irons why would they want a blade wedge?

My observation is that the vast majority of people would be better off avoiding the blade wedges and playing a cavity back like the Callaway CB ot Cleveland CBX Zipcore. If one plays GI irons why would they want a blade wedge?

Back