scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Still contemplating my wedge setup. Last wedge in my iron set has 49 degree loft. Currently own a 56 and 60 RTX4. I am leaning towards a 54 SW to close the gap to 5 degrees. What do you think about 49, 54, 60? That way I only need to buy a 54. Iron set os G700. Get a 54 RTX4 to match my 60? That seems to make sense. CBX 2? Ping Glide 3.0?

It's all about your gaps and what works for you. You would have to figure that out in testing. Maybe borrow a friends wedges with different lofts and try them out?
That way you don't buy clubs that in the end don't work for you. My wedge set up is PW, 52-56-60. That setup has worked for me quite well this last season and I will be using the same setup in the Spring. Good luck on your search !

There are many schools of thought on this situation. For me, I littererely spend a lot of time on gaping wedges to meet a certain yardage I want on full swing shots I want. The main thing I keep in mind though is not making them stronger than 2* for the bounce effect. Weaker, I can go more since I would be adding bounce and I would rather error on that side.
That's just me.

If you are adept at taking distance off your 54 to bridge the 6 degree gap to the 60, that setup should work fine. I would personally go with the RTX4 to match the 60 but that is just me.

46 - 130
50 - 108
56 - 100
60 - 75

? I'm working on it.

Still contemplating my wedge setup. Last wedge in my iron set has 49 degree loft. Currently own a 56 and 60 RTX4. I am leaning towards a 54 SW to close the gap to 5 degrees. What do you think about 49, 54, 60? That way I only need to buy a 54. Iron set os G700. Get a 54 RTX4 to match my 60? That seems to make sense. CBX 2? Ping Glide 3.0?
im a fan of the glide 3.0 ws

Buy the G700 54* SW.

54 sounds like a nice fit for your setup. I run 46, 50, 54, 60. I like that gapping. The distances and options work for me.

Don't know what to recommend with specific wedges. Depends what you like. For some reason I would have a hard time playing a different gap and SW model (bounce, etc. can be different, of course). With lob I'm OK going a different way.

I switched from 56 & 60 on my home setup because the gap between my apex pro AW and the rtx4 56 was large. I'd be down with the 54 & 60 setup. That's what I changed to first. Gap was still a touch big, and I don't have quick or convenient loft and lie changes available, so I ended up playing the 54 cut a hair longer, and eventually went down to a 58 at the bottom end too. That's just personal preference though. I use the 56 and 60 more often when I travel, but still wish it was at least 54 & 60.

Going to 54 sounds like a good plan. The different wedges mentioned are all great. Although I'm not one to care much at all really about matching wedges, if I liked a wedge of a particular make and was buying blind, I'm pretty sure that I'd buy the same in another loft.

But it's less about loft than it is actual yardage gapping and that can only be determined through play.

I say this because my "gaps" are hardly gaps at all as to wedge loft on a couple, yet they play 10 yards difference.

I'll often swap the bottom of my bag but for now my lofts actually go: 45, 46, 52, 58, 60.

5 wedges including the set's PW. I hit that club so far relative to regular wedges that it created a huge gap between it and a traditional GW. Hence the 46° that I hit 10 yards shorter than the PW. And strangely enough, although 6° difference between the 46° and the 52° (and they're both the same brand, model and shaft), there's only still another 10 yards difference between them during play.

All specs were re-checked last year, all good. Some would have an issue looking at such a wonky loft configuration but I just view it as, "whatever works."

That's really my long-winded advice in a nutshell. Lofts are a terrific and sensible guide and general rule of thumb, but always allow the dynamic aspect of play to dictate what goes into your bag.

I carry a lot of wedges myself. I don’t see anything wrong with getting the 54. I could get by with that.

...Although I'm not one to care much at all really about matching wedges, if I liked a wedge of a particular make and was buying blind, I'm pretty sure that I'd buy the same in another loft.

But it's less about loft than it is actual yardage gapping and that can only be determined through play.

That's really my long-winded advice in a nutshell. Lofts are a terrific and sensible guide and general rule of thumb, but always allow the dynamic aspect of play to dictate what goes into your bag.
This is how I feel... I’m using the PW and AW from my set, and then added in a 56* and 60* once I knew how the set wedges were going to work, or if I even liked them.

Based purely on lofts, mine are 44, 49, 56 and 60.

IMO, its really more about what your typical wedge distances are than having even spacing in your wedges. Some manufacturers have tried to push the notion of even spacing in your wedges but if you look at the bags of some pros, they dont have even spacing at all.
Im like the OP in that my AW is 49* and I carry a 52* and 56*. I dont carry a 60* anymore because IMO you dont really need one and it can be a very high risk club. I replaced my 60* with a chipper and honestly dont miss the 60*. Any shot that I used to hit with the 60* I can hit with my 56*

Ping Glide 3.0 54 WS. Still a lot of beef behind the ball but works in most situation. Maybe a 58* Glide 3.0 Eye 2 just in case you need to really open the face?

What I don't know yet is the full swing distance of my G700 U wedge. It will definitely be longer than my previous CB GW. But, until my back gets pain free, I am not doing a full swing.

From what I have researched, the CBX2 and RTX4 go similar distances and have similar spin with the CBX2 having more forgiveness.

Just figure out your distances and where you might be lacking. I carry 3 black Vokey SM7’s in my bag at 58, 52, and a 50 I had adjusted to 49.

Just figure out your distances and where you might be lacking. I carry 3 black Vokey SM7’s in my bag at 58, 52, and a 50 I had adjusted to 49.
Had a thought over the weekend. My 49 degree G700 has a graphite shaft in it. My current wedges have steel shafts at 56 and 60. Wondering if a 52 degree might be a good choice between the 56 and 60 and keeps the 56 and 60 in the bag with only having to buy one wedge.

I've been working with the 49 degree chipping around the green. It feels quite light with the graphite shaft in it. I know I can dial it in with practice. A 52 degree RTX4 might be my go to chipping wedge and potentially fills the gap on full shots too.

I'm in the middle of replacing my wedges right now. My set PW is 44*, then I have Cleveland RTX 2.0s in 50* CB, 56* MB, and 60* MB. I'll be keeping the PW, replacing the 50* with a 50* CBX2, the 56* with a CBX2 56* adjusted to 55*, and the 60* with a 60* RTX4. Shafts on my current wedges, and the new ones, are UST Recoil 95 F3s. When I reshafted the current wedges I gained a few yards on full shots, which closed the gap between my PW and 50* a bit (a good thing), so I'm hoping for similar results with the new ones.

MY AP1 P and W are 44 and 48 so I carry a 52 56 and 60 in the bag as well. I contemplated the 54 and 60 combo but it too big of a gap for me ~20 yards. I would rather give up some longer clubs and have tight gapping close to the green as thats the most important iron shot imo.

Had a thought over the weekend. My 49 degree G700 has a graphite shaft in it. My current wedges have steel shafts at 56 and 60. Wondering if a 52 degree might be a good choice between the 56 and 60 and keeps the 56 and 60 in the bag with only having to buy one wedge.

I've been working with the 49 degree chipping around the green. It feels quite light with the graphite shaft in it. I know I can dial it in with practice. A 52 degree RTX4 might be my go to chipping wedge and potentially fills the gap on full shots too.
Having a graphite shaft in one of my three wedges would probably throw me off...even if it is only a slight weight differential.
I used to carry a 54 and 60 when I was younger and could still hit the 60 degree about 90-100 yards. If you only have room for 2 wedges, I’d carry a 50(or)52 and 56. You can open up the face of a 56 if you need to get some height.
In regards to chipping, don’t get stuck using just one club as a designated “chipper”. Too many golfers do this and it definitely hurts their game. For chipping, my goal is to get the ball to land on the green as quickly as possible and let it roll out like a putt. Pick out a target landing area and try to hit your chip there and let the green do the rest of the work. I’ll chip with any iron or wedge in my bag depending on how close or far the pin is and what’s between me and the green. Good luck!

Currently sitting at set PW and GW (44* and 50*), 54*, 60*, but have found that the yardage gaps go about 135-115-95-75; I'm contemplating closing it up since I don't feel like I have a handle on the 80-90 or 120-125 ranges. If I switched to a 4W at the top of the bag, I could bend the GW to 48*, bend the 54* to 56* and add a 52*. Then I'd (theoretically) go:

PW (44*) - 135
GW (48*) - 120
52* - 105
56* - 90
60* - 75

Which takes me down to 15 yard gaps instead of 20's. The tradeoff of course being my top bag goes from 4h-5w-3w-D (210-230-250-270+) to 4h-4w-D (210-240-270+).

The question is, where do I want to be choking up to fill gaps, in the wedges or the hybrids/woods? I'm thinking the sheer number of times I'll have to adjust is much lower on the long clubs, just cause I hit them less often. But on the other hand, even with 15 yard gaps in the wedges I'll still have to do some choking up to cover the middle numbers.

What would THPers do? Am I just overthinking this? (don't answer that :ROFLMAO:)

Back