Wedge shaft matching irons shaft

esg777

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Thinking of changing my wedge shafts to the same in my irons. Does anyone play there wedges that way? Love to hear your thoughts about this?

I have them all the way through, thought is on full shots they are more consistent.

Have done it, and would do it again. The continuity of feel can be nice if you're in an iron profile that works well for more touch stuff in your hands too. Not everyone's swing guys a shaft quite the same as there short work. I usually like a little more weight in my wedges than I want to play in my irons, so I haven't done it in a couple years. Plan to some this year though.

Sometimes people will soft step their iron shaft for a little more feel and I've done that and enjoyed it as well. It's all a bit of personal preference and what works for you.

I definitely match my gap wedge to my set irons and have matched my sand and lob wedges in the past. Tinkering around with a slightly softer shaft of the same weight in my 54 and 60 right now since they’re more often used on partial swings

I am thinking of trying it on one of my sets of irons. I am a little concerned about my 58* flying too high if I were to match my iron shafts. I do like that club not going so high on full swings.

I do this. Works great for me.

I have numerous times including right now.

I play different shafts in my wedges. Prefer something a little stiffer but not as heavy...play all of my wedges with steelfiber..makes all the difference for me

I did this in my current set, 105 S+ graphite from 5 iron through 62*, 58* & 62* were tipped differently to standard (8 iron vs wedge tipping) to help soften feel.

Im in the process of converting all my wedges to match my irons. The the words of @DannyLe : "Don't overthink it."

Recoil 95 F3. When I had my lob wedge built, they did tip the shaft 1/4 to handle the heavier head weight. but other than that..matching the progression from my irons. When I replace my 50 and 54, they will be made to match the rest of the set.

I did this in my current set, 105 S+ graphite from 5 iron through 62*, 58* & 62* were tipped differently to standard (8 iron vs wedge tipping) to help soften feel.
Read about this somewhere. Increased spin too if i recall

Do it. I just did it for the second time and wouldn’t do it any other way unless there is a better option.

I'm sure lots of us have the same shafts in our wedges as in our irons. But that doesn't mean you should.

Wedges have the greatest difference in mass from head to head as any other club in the bag. Some heads are actually lighter than typical irons. Other wedges are considerably heavier (more mass). In addition, wedges have the widest range of swing speed as you are hitting chips, pitches, 1/2 swing, 3/4 swing, and knockdowns. All of which is going to stress the shaft differently. Your wedges also have the shortest shafts of any swinging club in your bag.

All these variables suggest that assuming your wedges should have the same shaft as your irons is a poor assumption. A fitting or a try before you buy would be a better approach.

I do! I find I have better success if my irons and wedges are all the same weight.

i don't know the right answer to this.

on one hand, it makes sense that a swing is a swing, so if you can swing your irons with repeatability in their current setup, that same setup should work in the wedges since shafts are just timing devices.

on the other hand, your wedges call for WAY more shots than your irons do. unless you're someone who likes hitting flop shots with a long iron or greenside bunker explosion shots with a mid-iron. some of us (present company excluded) expect to be able to hit a greenside chip shot 15' on one hole and 35' on another hole with a very small margin of error, yet not (m)any of us would expect to be as precise from 150+ yards.

personally, i've never done it. but i'm not convinced i should. i'm also not convinced i shouldn't.

tl;dr disregard this post lol

I have three irons and four wedges with my fitted iron shaft. LA golf 45g shafts.
5,7,9, 48 AW, 56 SW, 58/6 TS low bounce, and 60/12 CB

As well as a 52/10S gap wedge with KBS TGI 60. Turns out that 60 is the raw weight and the cut weight is very close to my other shafts.

I have 2 different shafts in my 2 specialty wedges (55 & 58) both different than my irons. 1 of them is considerably heavier than the others and is steel. I've been debating getting it re-shafted closer to the rest.

Steel is easy to reshaft as you can just twist it out of the head without damage after breaking the epoxy bond with heat. But twisting will damage a graphite shaft.

Last edited:
I have not in fact my 60 , 56 , 52 and PW have different shafts.. True Temper wedge , Rifle , KBS and Recoil in the PW. They work so well that I am afraid to change anything. BTW - the 52 is a Mizuno and the 60 and 56 are Macgregor. :eek::eek::eek:

I never did it but have read and trust that it would be beneficial. I once intended to do it. Matter of fact, I have a set of SteelFiber i95 wedge shafts around here somewhere, when I intended to have them installed in my wedges to match my Apex CF-16 irons. Was just too lazy to get to that.

I've done it at times, but I'm not sure if it's something I must always do.

I use my wedges for full shots, so I do like having the same shaft all the way thru.

If I was only using for around the green and bunkers, I probably wouldn't care if it were different.

Back