Wedge shafts compared to senior iron shafts?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm currently playing T300's with their stock senior shaft. Just wondering what you would suggest for the weight of the shaft wedge?

I've typically gone with a slightly heavier shaft (around 80 grams) and recently purchased a Titleist SM8 with the Dynamic Gold wedge steel shaft. I don't know if this is a fluke but it just seems like it is much easier to control distance wise. I've tended to leave my wedge shots short, and the heavier shaft seems to minimize this.

Do you think that shaft is too heavy?

I had a driver fitting session with Club Champion back around Christmas time. After baselining my current driver, the results indicated no significant improvement from current options. So, we looked at my wedges. I currently have Recoil Smacwrap 760 F2 in my irons and the wedges have S400 spinner shafts in them. While my swing speed dropped with the heavier shafted wedges, I had no significant loss in yardage for gapping purposes. So, he did not recommend reshafting the wedges. The feel on shorter distance shots is the key. Your experience sounds similar.

I have always used heavier shafts in my wedges until this recent change. I now feel some consistency in my swing with all irons and wedges. It definitely feels easier to make wedge swings for various distances with the same shafts that are in my irons.

I thought the wedge shafts were built with extra weight/ stiffness to compensate for shorter shaft length to get swing weight consistent with your irons and stiffness for digging into sand/ rough/ cactus/ roots/ rocks without breaking. Those might just be my shafts?

Last edited:
I like my sand and lob wedge shafts a bit heavier than my 95gm iron shafts.
Currently using KBS HiRev 2.0 Reg. at 115gm.

I'm currently playing T300's with their stock senior shaft. Just wondering what you would suggest for the weight of the shaft wedge?

I've typically gone with a slightly heavier shaft (around 80 grams) and recently purchased a Titleist SM8 with the Dynamic Gold wedge steel shaft. I don't know if this is a fluke but it just seems like it is much easier to control distance wise. I've tended to leave my wedge shots short, and the heavier shaft seems to minimize this.

Do you think that shaft is too heavy?
Seems your results speak your answer. (y)

If you're happy with the results, then go with them. That's the great thing about so many options! No one has to follow the "standard" because there really isn't one.

Play what feels comfortable to you. If you're not feeling fatigue or pain, then I'd say they work for you!:):)

Back