Wedges do you really need to replace?

Mine are still good , they are 3 years old now.

I replace my sand wedge about every other year. When I do that I end up purchasing a matching lob wedge.

I can't remember who it was, but I saw an article a few years back and a tour pro was saying he replaced his lob wedge 2 or 3 times a year. He said he uses it every day for both full shots and short game practice to include out of the sand. He played forged wedges.
I remember thinking that it would take me many years to replicate what he does in 4 months and my wedges are cast.

Replace mine on average of every 2 - 3 years.

Wouldn't some of this also have to do with forged vs cast? I thought forged club would wear down (relatively speaking) faster and may even fall out of loft and lie spec due to repeated hard full swing hits especially off hitting matts if one practices that a whole lot at the ranges.

But with that said, generally speaking here it seems we have a bunch in this thread who have posted about that they have spoken to very qualified people and still we get mixed responses yet most seem to say its not a big deal and will last for years. I tend to think this then becomes more about whats in ones own mind and even though not necessary just feel better having a new one.

All I do know for certain is that clubs are expensive and through all my many years playing this game there are tons of people who play with old golf clubs for very many years, of which I was one. (I don't mean just 5 or so years but much much longer than that) cant afford and don't see the need to replace clubs and yet they are (unlike me) really darn good at golf and spinning the ball with irons and wedges that are old and heavily used. I guess there has to be some point during those years where they would have been better off with newer irons and wedges (with fresh grooves) and would still be better off by changing now (if they could) but none the less it still goes to show me there is a lot less to this than people think and as the old saying goes "its the Indian and not the arrow" still dominates our success.

Last edited:
Back