Wells fargo pulling sponsorship

Look for this to be happening more with the tour in disorder. Nobody can justify higher costs for a less product, especially when the tour can’t seem to find their way out of a wet paper bag.

Maybe NCNB can pick it up. Or NationsBank, or Huntington, Barnett or First Union...

I think this is just the 1st. There will be more as $$$ become more scarce.

I can't see QH being taken out of the rotation.

Maybe THP will pick it up?

If I’m not mistaken, RBC is far from secure as well. There was an article released in Canada that spoke of a planned long term extension that was paused when DJ jumped. I’ll see if I can find it.

I would imagine with all of the uncertainty with the tour, it's tough sponsoring a tournament right now.

Similar to conference re-alignment in the NCAA, some events are gonna get left behind whether there is a merger or not. There's too much golf on the schedule and not enough players who matter.

I guess Wells Fargo, " Following the report, Sports Business Journal's Josh Carpenter wrote that Wells Fargo wanted to stay on as tournament sponsor, but was unwilling to pay the increase in the purse" ,

Maybe this is the first of many sponsors that just say, enough is enough with high purses and drop their sponsorship.

Can't blame them. Ponying up north of $20 million so a no name Pro can cash half a million for finishing T8 can't be too good for returns.
Ratings are down. Players are leaving. Charitable component is shrinking.

Is that the third sponsor to drop, or are there more I've missed? Austin Country Club/Dell Technologies, Honda, Wells Fargo

Back