Wes Anderson Films

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
Currently cruising over Greenland, on 2 hours of sleep, fresh vodka soda in hand, trying to wear myself out enough to take a nap.

Decided to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I've seen, but it has prompted me to think about Mr. Anderson's other pictures.

I like only one other. Frankly, I can't stand his films, and I dont really get the allure.

What do you think?

PXL_20230815_094603645.MP.jpg

I liked the Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore was decent as well.

After looking at his lineup, I’ve never seen his work. What are comparisons or descriptions that suit his films?

self indulgent. beautifully made with performances that i’m sure were successful in his mind. i’m all for creating art that helps you express yourself, there’s just a circle jerk film student i’m-smarter-than-you vibe that is a turnoff for me.

His visual style is reminiscent of the old Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer to me. I liked the French Dispatch mainly because it was a series of short stories that tied together into one longer story, but when the whole movie is one story I get kind of tired of the schtick pretty quick. Not my favorite, but I understand the allure.

I can't say I'm a fan. After seeing previews of his movies on IMDB, they're all using the same cinematography and actors. Meh. Not a fan. I tried watching The Royal Tenenbaums years ago but just couldn't get into it. It's like a cross between Edward Scissorhands and Dallas. Not a very good combination of drama or quirkiness.

I did see Isle of Dogs and thought it was okay but I didn't know it was made by him. After checking the rest of his movies out, it's just like all of his others. Not good, not bad, mostly forgettable, and mostly the same.🤷‍♂️

I have not seen all of them, but do I liked Rushmore, Royal Tennenbaums, Life Aquatic, Bottle Rocket and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Asteroid City is on my list of movies to watch.

I like Fantastic Mr Fox, but I'm also biased since he's a local.

I’ve never been a big fan.

I've seen most of his films and they are kind of hit and miss. But the ones I've liked I really liked and will rewatch. I think Grand Budapest is his best movie, and my wife who doesn't like any of his movies, really liked it as well. I thought Rushmore was pretty good, but the other two I really liked were The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Life Aquatic is without a doubt one of my favorite movies. I enjoy Wes Anderson films.

I saw this and for some reason read it as Wes Craven, not Wes Anderson, and Wes Craven has never made a bad movie. Wes Anderson? I'll just say I'm glad others enjoy his work.

I’m not the biggest fan but have actually seen several of his films — Life Aquatic, Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom, and Royal Tenenbaums. The first two are probably the best out of the ones I’ve seen.

self indulgent. beautifully made with performances that i’m sure were successful in his mind. i’m all for creating art that helps you express yourself, there’s just a circle jerk film student i’m-smarter-than-you vibe that is a turnoff for me.

This is the perfect summation of his style. And he’s got a cult following as well as 15 academy award nominations. :unsure:

I saw this and for some reason read it as Wes Craven, not Wes Anderson, and Wes Craven has never made a bad movie. Wes Anderson? I'll just say I'm glad others enjoy his work.
Agreed. I had the pleasure of working with Wes Craven on a couple of occasions. Very interesting guy.

Back