What’s more impressive... a hole in one or bowling a perfect game?

Which one is more impressive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thrillbilly Jim

No Diddy! No Doubt!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
A friend of mine is really into bowling. He’s a good bowler, but his son is really good! His son, Jake, bowled a 300 last night in league play. This was his 6th perfect game. It got me thinking which is a more impressive feat? I googled it and the odds of a hole in one are 12,500-1 and the odds of bowling a perfect game are 11,500-1, both for amateurs. Which one do you believe is the more impressive accomplishment?!

I've never been close to a 300 game, yet I have had hole-in-ones.

Oh wow...that's a tough one. I consider myself an above average golfer and bowler. I have one hole-in-one and no perfect games. My highest is a 289. If I HAD to choose, I'd say that it's harder to throw a 300 game, and that's simply because when I was an Assistant Golf Pro back in the day at least once a year some 25 handicap would come in excited because he got a hole-in-one and the story behind it was something like "I hit the tree to right of the green on 17 and it kicked around, popped out and went in the hole!" That doesn't happen with a 300 game in bowling.

I am not much of a bowler, but to bowl a perfect game takes skill and lots of practice. A hole in one can be had a variety of ways. I have heard of and seen some hole in ones occur off bladed shots, crazy bounces etc. So while many HIO take skill, you don't have to have great skill to make one just one lucky shot. In bowling you must have a lot of skill to bowl a perfect game maybe one or two lucky trikes in a row, but not 10.

I am going with bowling the 300 game. I know my HIO was purely luck. Aside from the really skilled players I suspect it usually is. But bowling the 300 game requires 12 straight perfect rolls. I think that is harder.

Definitely bowling a 300 game. I have come close twice to perfect games, the adrenaline is real about frame 9 then you still have to throw 3 more perfect balls.
I have the HIO and while it was a good shot, you still have to catch a break.

Anyone can get lucky with a HIO. Besides the skill to bowl a 300 game you also have to have the mental capacity to handle it. You know what you are doing in the 8th, 9th, 10th frame.

Oh wow I'd have to go with bowling on this one!
It takes 12 perfect throws for the 300?
But
The argument could be, can you make a HIO in 12 tries?

Anyone can get lucky with a HIO. Besides the skill to bowl a 300 game you also have to have the mental capacity to handle it. You know what you are doing in the 8th, 9th, 10th frame.
☝☝☝☝☝
I couldn't have said it better. I've seen lucky hole in ones. But you've never seen a lucky 300!

I said a hole in one but in reflecting on it I think it is bowling a perfect game. My son has a hole in one and he isn't a great golfer and there is no chance he could bowl a perfect game.

I don't bowl. I said HIO. Luck or not, there aren't a lot of HIO's around. Yeah, the same can be said about bowling.

HIO.

I have 5 300 games. I have 0 HIO. I've been playing golf 10 years longer than I bowled ( quit 10 years ago )

Went with a HIO because I don't bowl. Probably takes more skill for the perfect game but since I don't bowl I'm not impressed. Have witnessed two HIO and was very impressed.

Would go with 300 all day as I've seen a few HOI that have nothing to do with skill :) I wonder what would golf score wise be a good comparison to bowling a 300? Not a bowler myself so have no idea to what it could be.

My thoughts exactly. so I have to go with bowling a 300. Waiting to hear @vdubtx thoughts on it since he's got a few.

I don't have either but have come very close to both. Bowled 299 twice. Nothing like leaving stiff 10 pins :rolleyes:.

I've seen 3 HIO's and 2 of them were probably the worst shots hit that day that somehow rolled into the hole. But hey, they are HIO's.

It depends on how you look at it. A HIO can happen by chance even for the most casual golfer. That’s never going to happen with a perfect game. I did bowl a 200 twice and have no HIO’s and am currently feeling very inadequate...

I’m a golfer, so of course, it’s a HIO for me.

Reactions: Ooo
300 game is more impressive. You have to be a very skilled bowler to even approach bowling a 300.

300 is more impressive.

Reminds me of a very old joke.

The President comes running into the Secretary of State's office in a polo shirt and says, excitedly, "I just had a 122!!!"

Without looking up, SecState says, "Excellent, Mr. President! Your golf game is improving."

The Prez frowns and says, " I was bowling."

Bowling 300 (or 200, really), is more impressive than a hole in one. No comparison.

This is easy -- I know a number of folks who have bowled a 300 and very few folks who have had a hole-in-one.

300 game is more impressive. You have to be a very skilled bowler to even approach bowling a 300.

Agree. A 300 would be more like a golfer shooting 68 on a course rated at least 72.0/135.

perfect game. i'm sure there is some luck involved, but to do it for every roll in every frame and 3 times in the last, that takes a perfect mix of skill and mental focus. so many holes in one are about luck that to me this one isn't close.

Back