What’s the dumbest thing you’ve done - playing golf..?

Getting really drunk and needing to repeatedly water the lilies while a guest at a friend‘s CC. Never invited back and I don’t blame him.

Getting really drunk and needing to repeatedly water the lilies while a guest at a friend‘s CC. Never invited back and I don’t blame him.
Ouch... that sounds rough.

We had a guy on our team at a charity tournament years back get so drunk he fell over on one of the greens. He tried to play it off, but everyone around knew and it was super embarrassing.

My dumb moment was mixing up the 6-iron with the 9-iron and being 30yds long. I have done this twice in my golfing life.

Well, I hit this sign today and this was my lie. Though in fairness, I wasn’t aiming for it. Wonder if there is a local rule on this? If not, there should be. It was in the middle of the fairway.

View attachment 9090796
USGA 15.2a

move the sign, no penalty, play it as it lies. if the ball moves, replace it in its original spot

Threw my driver up/into a conifer tree after a bad tee shot and it got stuck out of reach 🤦🏻‍♂️. Threw my 3 wood up to try and dislodge it… and… well, you know what happened next 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣.

Walking the course years ago after pulling a new pair of shoes out of the box and laced onto my feet in the parking lot.

By #7 the fast developing blisters on my heels were already crippling. I was tearing off pieces of the scorecard to wedge in between to dampen the rub areas. Brutal.

I can jump that ditch!

Blocked a tee shot just over a ditch line. I grabbed a few clubs and decided to jump over the ditch instead of walking 40 yards up the fairway and using the bridge. I came up a foot short and sunk past my knees in the muck. My 3 partners and the course marshall trying to pull me out. We had 2 groups play through who all knew me and I ended up losing my right shoe in the process.

Played out the round barefoot and had to listen to everyone's jokes in the clubhouse for months.

Thank god we didn't have cell phones back then.

Well, you see, I started playing this game called Golf...

Walking the course years ago after pulling a new pair of shoes out of the box and laced onto my feet in the parking lot.

By #7 the fast developing blisters on my heels were already crippling. I was tearing off pieces of the scorecard to wedge in between to dampen the rub areas. Brutal.
This scenario is how I played 1/2 of last year Barefoot.

For me, it was trying to walk down a steep slope on dormant Bermuda grass when two steps to the right a set of stairs had been cut into the hill. I slipped, and as I fell back, I tried to break my fall with my right hand and fractured my right forearm just above the wrist. Fortunately, my ortho was also a golfer and with no displacement of any bones, he just had me wear a brace and did frequent x-rays to insure all was OK. As a result, my downtime was minimized, considering.

Playing a new-to-me course for the first time, hooked my drive into trees. Found the ball. Saw a clear (albeit very small) opening under, then over some branches, to the green about 180 yards away. So, figured I'd give it a shot. Hit it perfectly, under the first branch and over the next one, dead straight at the pin. Lost sight of it in the air as it became hidden by other trees, but saw it land 180 yards out on the green. Amazing shot. Playing partners also thought the same. Unfortunately, as I walked towards my ball, a different foursome began pulling up to the green upon which my ball lay. Their balls were also on or just off that same green. I had hit my ball into the wrong green, which was the only one I could see from within the grouping of trees where my ball had been. "My" green was about 100 yards to the left, obscured by those same trees. :dohanim: Funny thing is, my playing partners (who were also all new to the course) were all headed to the same green I hit into. And, yet, they each had a clear view of the correct green from their balls in the fairway. They were just blindly following my lead.

Oh boy….

Probably the mid-season tourney in my league in Michigan, many years ago. Bought a sleeve of Titleist Tour Balata 100s in the pro shop. Proceeded to the first tee with about 15 other league members watching and waiting for their tee times. I pull-hooked all three of those new balls right over the fence and OB.

Oh, you know, the typical 6i and 9i mistake. Didn't make much difference though. I was short as always.:D

How do you get out of the trees? Aim for the first one. Right? Yeah, no. Hit the tree just trying that hero shot. Walk back 25 yards to hit it again. no more hero shots.

Let's see... 18th hole on a course. I'm in my cart on the left side of the fairway in the rough. Drainage isn't the best... there's standing water... the cart was going full speed... and slowing down as the back tires aren't getting traction on the clay... luckily I didn't tear the course up nor did I have to get out and push or abandon it. I stay away from water on the fairways now.:ROFLMAO:

Tossed a club out of frustration, and meant to just give it a light toss up in the air in front of me. What actually happened was it went pinwheeling in the air over the course boundary into a cow pasture. That was fun trying to get back.

Playing partner's cart died and was driving back to get another one. Looking at my phone to call the clubhouse and drove straight through a fairway bunker. Didn't realize it was happening until I crested the high side (back) of the bunker. That was a big bump, no damage to bunker or the cart thankfully.

At a course I worked at, my ball ended up in a quarry with the halfway house separating my ball and the green at the top of a cliff. I pulled my 56, which I had a tendency for hitting thin at the time, and hit a flop shot over the halfway house and onto the green. I stuck it inside of 5 feet but if I skulled that sucker I would have been fired so fast.

The dumbest thing for me is continuing to go back thinking I'm getting better...

At Atkinson Country Club, a really upscale course, on the 18th green I was coming in with my approach shot about 100 yards out and thought I grabbed my sand wedge. But it was not my SW and instead grabbed my 8 iron. So i hit a great 8 iron right on the patio where everybody was eating about 50 yards behind the green. Luckily I did not hit anybody directly but the ball bounced around on the bricks and the walls and everywhere else on the patio.

Damn eyes as you get older an S does kinda look like an 8

Threw a brand new hybrid into a tree, after three bad shots in a row with it.
Proceeded to spend 15 minutes climbing and trying to get it out.

Stupid young Brad.

Well, I hit this sign today and this was my lie. Though in fairness, I wasn’t aiming for it. Wonder if there is a local rule on this? If not, there should be. It was in the middle of the fairway.

View attachment 9090796
Yank that sign out of the ground, hit your shot, and stick it back in the ground.

Years and years ago... drove 40/50 miles to play... when I get there I realize that I left my golf shoes at home! 🙄
I did this once though it was only about 20 miles. Had to go in and buy a pair of Nikes in the proshop.

I have done a lot of dumb things in my days playing golf. I have done the pulling the wrong club and that doesn't really make the list for me.

1. Played the wrong ball from the middle of a fairway in a State Am qualifying tournament on the first hole. It resulted in starting the round with a double.
2. Hit my golf bag with a ball also in a State Am qualifier. I was trying to play the ball left handed out from under a tree and the ball squirted directly through my legs and hit my ball. Back then this was a penalty which resulted in a double. In both of these cases I got my **** together and got into a playoff to qualify only to lose out in the playoff.
3. Dropped a club on my ball in the middle of the fairway in a Sr. Am qualifier last year. I put my bag down next to the ball, pulled the club I wanted which tangled with another one which fell out of the bag onto the ball. Also a 1 stroke penalty. I was never in the mix in this event.
4. In a casual Saturday morning match I was playing really crappy. I had a water bottle on the ground and after missing the third green in a row from the middle of the fairway I smashed the bottle with my club which proceeded to explode water up and cover my crotch like I had wet my pants. Fortunately it was a warm day and things dried off by the time it was done. This was over 20 years ago and people still talk about it.

Walked in front of, what I thought was far enough left, a woman that was hitting. She doesn't play very often & well, sucks. I should have known better but .... she smacked the ball & it hit me in the straight in the back. She was more shaken up than I was. But from that point on, I never walked in front or near her while she was hitting ever again :eek:

In a fit of rage due to little skill and poor temper, I snapped my first hybrid over my knee years ago after another chunked shot.

A little over 10 years ago, with that same small amount of skill but less temper, I swing my 5-wood so hard Bryson's driver swing looked like Ernie Els or Fred Couples by comparison. That 5-wood left my hands and wound up in a tree about 15 feet in the air. Thankfully it was windy that day and the club eventually fell back to Eatth when we completed the hole running parallel.

Back