What’s the least important spot in the bag?

Fairway of any description. Changed to Apex UW and hit it far better with more consistency.

One of my main goals equipment wise for 2024 is to have 14 clubs in my bag that I have complete confidence in.

Having changed clubs a bunch the past two years made me realize that it takes time to get comfortable with a new club. While a few clubs have become new favorites it also made me appreciate more some of the clubs that I had used in the past that got set aside.

My golf bag for 2024 has evolved through some analysis of stats and on course yardages, some shaft tinkering, paying attention to lofts and lies, what I prefer from a looks, feel, sound and ball flight standpoint.

Essentially I’m trying to optimize each club as if I was fit for them individually. My goal is to have 14 “favorite clubs”.

To be clear if I make a bad swing it is not the clubs fault.

However if there is ever a situation that calls for a specific club and I’m reluctant to use that club because I’m not certain that I can make it do what needs to be done then the club has to either be modified to work or it needs to be removed from the bag.

Don’t worry @MWard the Cobra LTDx 15 degree 3 wood that you told me to “Never take out of my bag!” Is safe.

Lob wedge. It's just a place to store my magnetic towel. I may pull it out once every 10 rounds. I don't even list it in my clubs because it hasn't earned a varsity letter.

Probably the 5-iron for me. I could drop it and easily make up for it between the 6 and 4. The gaps between each iron 6-PW are pretty consistent for me, but decrease to about 10 yards between 6-5, and 5-4.

3 Wood. I use it for specific holes off the tee depending upon the wind direction. I will hit it off the fairway if it is a level lie on par 5 2nd shots.

Not for everyone, but in all honesty my bag has a slot for an umbrella. At 4+/- inches of rain each year, (ave) it's not something I use.

Club wise, I could easily get by not carrying a driver. My 3w is a trooper and gets most of the use both on, off the tee.

On my Bennington Bag, as far as the zippered compartments go, quite a few are left empty most of the time.

The one club I could most afford to get rid of is a PW. It's basically a 10 iron for me... a full swing club to hit a distance target. And I don't seem to end up at that distance very often. For short-game shots inside that yardage, I have a GW, SW, and LW that pretty much cover all the bases.

I'm tempted to say putter. If you're good at putting, you can get used to using just about anything. And if you're horrible at controlling distance or hitting your line than no putter will help much. But in the end I'll go with 58 degree lob wedge, simply because I can't even remember the last time I actually used it.

Fun reading about all who dislike their 3w…. I have loved a 3w ever since I started playing 3 decades ago. I’m the one who really doesn’t care for a lob wedge. My 56* sw is the highest loft I need. Isn’t it enjoyable how golf can be so different for different people.

I would probably in 2023 have said my 3-wood, but since I changed it to the Paradym TD I'm loving it. So for me it is now my 4i - really close to my 3H when I smoke it, but more often than not very close in distance to my 5i or worse......

moving to slightly stronger lofted Apex 21s from my older style and traditionally lofted X20 Tours sees it getting removed from the bag in 2024.

Back