What Are You Working On?

Currently working on getting my weight shifted. Lots of slowed-down work and face-on video the last few days.

Right now is short game. I lose so many strokes 100 yards and in.

I swear it's always something creeping back into my swing.

One thing I'm working on is improving my angle of attack with driver. I might be on to something with this.

Some of the main swing mechanics I'm working on is making sure I have a wide arc in the back swing (don't break the wrists too early) and making sure I have a full rotation with the shoulders (my shoulder line should get to perpendicular with the target line at the top of my back swing). I need to keep working so I can do both more consistently.

I have a slight over the top move back in my swing as I was hitting compressed fades my last round whereas I usually see a draw. I think I know what is going on but plan to get it on video and keep working at it

Staying pretty consistent in my misses... decent swing path open slightly to the target line, closed club face on the majority of shots resulting in shots hooking left of my target. Few of them are massive hooks, but the fact that there are by far more misses left than right bugs me a little. I'd prefer to distribute the misses even if the "cone" is of the same width.

I have some ideas for the next practice session. Will see if any of them can start to change the picture.

Improving my driving and short game, including putting. Regarding the latter, too often I would 3 putt after a GIR or take 2 chips/pitches followed by 2 putts. As @Sean is fond of saying "you don't have to be young or particularly athletic to develop a really good short game". For me, this is some lower hanging fruit than my full swing where I feel I can save 3-6 strokes per round.

Shallowing the club and Mental focus during the round.

Stand a bit more upright at setup, back swing with a wide arc, get shoulders rotated so the shoulder line points 90 degrees from target, point right palm at the sky at the top of the back swing, fire the right glute for the down swing, and make sure right arm points at target to ensure more in to out club path. But other than that, not much. 😄

Stand a bit more upright at setup, back swing with a wide arc, get shoulders rotated so the shoulder line points 90 degrees from target, point right palm at the sky at the top of the back swing, fire the right glute for the down swing, and make sure right arm points at target to ensure more in to out club path. But other than that, not much.

Wow, that makes me tired just reading it…

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow, that makes me tired just reading it…

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not necessarily thinking all of it at once, but any of those elements can go wrong, and I need to get better at diagnosing and fixing.

Reducing my in-to-out swing. Trying to work backswing to be more up than back to not let the clubhead fall so much behind me.

Speed training. That time of year to break out the SpeedSticks.

Working on 40-90 yard finesse wedges

Very underestimated but I need to start working on my putting game.

3 wood in general continues to be a weak area of my bag and I'm working hard to remedy that for this season.

Now I am working on keeping my back to the target longer. Irons have picked up 15+ yards but the drive has been struggling a little.

Very underestimated but I need to start working on my putting game.

I miss so many greens it's probably more beneficial to work on my chipping, all joking aside I need to work on this as well. However, I have 3 kids a stressful tech job and a wife who likes to travel so not much time.

Downswing Rotation. Currently I turn back good, but coming down my rotation stops around my address position and I have a big flip with the hands and huge chicken wing.

Been working with my driver. I have troubles to hit a powerful draw but today I tried something.
Tee it low and ball back in stance and voila! Finally, I can now feel how a nice free draw swing feels. It was outstanding and I can’t believe I haven’t tried this before, I guess I’m so brainwashed of all golf advice that says keep the ball at instep of leadfoot…

Wedges and putting.
Like hyper-focused obsessed with it.

Love this. If I would do this I could probably score 2 - 3 more pars a round and maybe convert more birdies.

Had a range session last night which felt great overall. Below were some of the main things I focused on.

1. Standing tall (more upright) at setup. The grooves on the club head should be parallel to the ground.
  2. With 3 wood in particular, I focused on not placing the ball so far forward in my stance. It's more similar to what I do with hybrids which seems to help with better contact and ball flight.
  3. Extend the club during the back swing so the swing has a wide arc (don't break the wrists early).
  4. At the top of the back swing, point right palm at the sky and create the 90 degree angle between my left arm and the club shaft.
  5. In the follow through, especially with driver, my sure my right arm is pointing directly at the target if not slightly right of the target. This ensures much better club path.

Alignment, my aiming was way off last year so I'm working on setting up square to my target.

I bought one of those swing devices that force you to swing inside out (or reverse if needed). I have struggled with an over the top swing for decades, as well as hanging back and not getting through the ball. Because of this I lose yardage and tend to spray the ball. I have a great short game and can putt decently. But I need consistency off the tee.

Back