What Are You Working On?

Several things, but the sequence to start the backswing by opening hips at the top of the swing and swinging more to the left. I am. a righthanded golfer.

Putter aim and path. It’s getting better thanks in part to my instructor getting me into a heel shafted putter with zero alignment on the face. For some reason I aim better naturally without any alignment mark on my putter but one on the ball does help. I have about 50 putters and have never had one without an alignment mark since I was a teenager, which also was the last time I was a great putter inside of 10 feet. :ROFLMAO:

My instructor had a used Eleven S putter that I initially tried inside and a couple times on a putting green at a local course and I was able to find a like new one on CPO for a great deal.

Never underestimate the value of a good putter fitting and being open to something different. Unlike this new Eleven S, 90% of my putters are face balanced and none of them are heel shafted mallets.

A2B14958-1C0D-49A4-A4C9-D7E9D204319A.jpeg

Spent time on the sim this morning. I worked on more of a dynamic swing with a downward move versus mostly turning and swinging around the shoulders (i.e.., following some ideas from Danny Maude on youtube). That brought back the speed but changed my path to be a little more out to in than I would like, most notably with driver. I setup a lesson for next week. Hopefully we can dial in.

This more vertical swing, with a shorter backswing, is really nice for irons and wedges. Plenty of pop, and my consistency and dispersion was fantastic. Where I got into trouble, no surprise, was with driver. I can't seem to bring the same efficient move to the big stick. I hit plenty of playable drives, but when I miss, I miss.

Range session this evening. Looking to present a consistently straighter club face to the ball and more in-line with the swing path to support less of a miss to the right which I seem to be correcting late in the swing rather than setting myself up for success. I somehow started cupping my wrist early in the backswing and opening up the face.

Watched a few YouTube videos and took away from drills and a feel to work on.

Worked with the 7i and then 5i to get the feel in with my irons which resulted in more of a draw and some additional ball speed and distance and then moved onto the driver which is my key focus at the moment. Looking to eliminate the right (fade/slice) miss due to the club face being open before working further on my swing path which has been out-to-in and over the top. Definite improvement - although the left netting on the range (not the bay! ;) ) saw some action tonight but I'm seeing better launch, faster club and ball speed, more carry and overall distance including a PB tonight.

I also managed to find some dry foot powder in a pharmacy last week and got some impact zone feedback - a little high on the face but more central that I was before the changes so I know I can get more distance out of club if I can drop it a couple of grooves.

Lesson is booked in for Friday with my coach who will no doubt critique some of the changes I have made independently of my last driver lesson back in November (before I injured my knee) but I'm hoping he can tweak the backswing a little, and then focus on my swing path to bring it back to the centre of the range.

Practicing my backwards shuffle to get my rhythm My front leg stomps the ground. Makes sure its heel first Feels like I can get my lower body and pelvis into the shot

My swing is very upright and I don’t like it. Working on getting more round and flat, via better body turn and left arm flexibility behind me. And also more shallow. Always working on something.

I’m currently working on getting my eight to transfer forward and not bit behind the ball. I seem to keep my weight back and hit behind the ball too frequently.

Sequencing the swing.... Getting the club correct at the top, then shifting left, and then turning through with speed.

Had a 3rd lesson with a new teacher today. Results have been fantastic... With very little headache or frustration.

6 iron carry is in the 195-200 range... And when we started with our first lesson, it was around 180-185.

But most importantly, the swing looks and feels less complicated. ♥️

RPB (Right Pocket Back).

I'd heard it long ago as essentially a way to start the backswing. But I'd never learned why nor any specifics as to effect. Then, someone here posted a Coach Lackey YT video that addresses many of my own issues. Negative AOA, toe strikes, turning against a too rigid bottom half, etc.

Apparently, RPB, all by itself, encourages a natural flattening of the swing, and encourages the hands to approach impact along the proper path (vs their getting outside against a too rigid/not turning enough, bottom half). Who knew? Plus, it'll likely alleviate stress on my terrible lower back. In 3 rounds since thinking RPB, I've carded 11 birds. That's not normal for me (last year's bidie/round average was 1.67).

It hasn't been all roses as I've mistimed some swings and hit the ball OB too often. But when done reasonably correct, my sequencing is sooooo much better.

Long video, lots of talking, but I've gleaned so much value from it.

Today's lesson: Bend right elbow sooner to get the shaft a little steeper by left arm parallel, which helps balance the weight better and prevent it from pulling the hands too far back and the top and getting a little bounce back over the top at the start of my transition. From there, drop the hands into my back right pocket before rotating to shallow better and not get my hands moving away from my body leading to heel strikes.

Keeping club outside the hands during takeaway. Feeling like the club is in front of the body for as long as possible.

My bad tendency is to quickly pull the club away on the inside when swinging poorly.

Swing session with my coach today at the range.

Some positive feedback about my setup and backswing with some of the changes we made the last time I saw him (before November, prior to my injury), and which I have really only recently been able to implement and practice.

Worked a bit on refining my iron strike point and hand position at impact, and also using my left hip rotation and left shoulder turn to bring the club up and round. Once that had bedded in a bit we moved onto the big stick which was the main point of the session. Again positive on the setup and backswing but worked really hard on dropping my hands to start and then swing path. Lots of really good feels which I now need to work on over the next 2-3 weeks to consolidate the learnings. Need to get some of this to be second nature so as not to overload the swing with too many thoughts.

Grabbed another 100 balls after the lesson and my son and I worked on some of our individual points (he had a driver lesson about 4 weeks ago - same coach) and definitely saw more consistency on the strike and flight. My son with the benefit of 4 weeks of practice has now started to stripe his drives with added confidence and resulting ball speed he nailed himself a PB - up over 20 yards from last week.

I’m finding that a palm grip with my top hand over the club allows me to deliver a more forceful powerful impact.

I’m finding that a palm grip with my top hand over the club allows me to deliver a more forceful powerful impact.

Sounds like you're close to having a good handle on things, nice.

sch.png

Right hip back/keep flex in right leg, Left hip back/straighten left leg

and foot pressure

and improve path/feel like a cut to swing left.

Width. Lateral movement. RHB.
Losing weight. 😂

Don’t really have a standard ball position. But lately what makes it easier is ball just in front of my front heel for the driver ( standard fade)
Ball position just behind my left heel front foot for the iron draw. Obvious adjustment can be made for ball positions but those are the ones I would start off with off the tee box

Trying to stop semi chunking those delicate chips and pitches.

It's killing my scoring.
Watch your lead arm/elbow and chest on video.
See if your maintaining width and making a smooth shoulder/torso rotation. Not using an armsy swing and getting alligator arms.
You got this. 👊

Right now, I am working on making my arc wider, both in the backswing and after striking the ball.

Currently: Driver

All driver. AOA mostly and trying to figure out a way to remove the spin numbers that are killing my distance. I seemed to have reverted into some sort of combo golf yips/hybrid baseball swing that plagued me when I first started playing. Hit anything off the mat and I'm good. 3 wood off the deck is currently traveling farther than my driver.... I know it's mostly mental but hoping to figure it out in the next few weeks so I can put some good swings in at Shaft Up.

Pounding my walking route hard and often, especially tomorrow and Tuesday, getting ready for opening day.

My sand wedge. That's all I have hit for the past five weeks. I'm getting really good at controlling the clubhead through impact, which is what the game is all about.

Working on the final pieces of my downswing: Pivot-down, bring my hands down properly, and integrating the two motions into a cohesive whole.

Trained with the Divot Board a bit. This is kinda what I like to see :)

Training_w_Divot_Board-20240304-01-18pct.JPG

Driver AoA. Been thinking about and testing it most of the winter, but finally got to try it out on course. Overall it was a positive, as I was able to start off the round really well, and visually the ball was higher. Hit some really good drives, that due to conditions, were all carry. So very happy with where I'm starting the season. Got lazy towards the end of the round and missed some right. But working on tilt and attacking the ball, without sacrificing dispersion was a success in round 1 of 2024.

Back