What Are You Working On?

Winter has been a bit of work on a couple of things - swing speed, stopping my right arm from breaking down too much and getting better wrist angles

I have spent a lot of time at our range working on these and just using the Trackman range figures I have seen increases in both distance accuracy

After my last lesson I saw an increase of 15yds carry with my 7i from when I was warming up to the end of the lesson, and to be honest it felt like a lot less effort was needed to see that increase just because of the better impact conditions that the subtle changes to my swing have made

More work on my wedges. Using the 56 and 61 around the green equally now. Was overusing the LW. Very confident from green side bunker My putting still a mystery. I’m have good putting one day then bad puttting next day. I had to switch out putter after 9 and putting dramatically improved with new putter
The old putter was working fine last round so I rather not be doing the putter switching this early in the season

Physically tired after 3 rounds three straight days Still obsessed and thinking ways to improve
Happy with my driver/ putter/ chipping / wedge play inside 120 yards... my full irons is still poor
learning to use 9iron as a wedge and have been using pitch and run and pitching motion with 9 iron
Still lost with full wedge motion and full irons motion
I requires a proper setup for that

Started playing again after basically taking 3 years off. Hit a few irons I didn’t like but now I know the issue so that’s an easy one. What I’d really like to work on is letting my right elbow fly a bit to increase my shoulder turn. I’m hitting it scarily well off the tee but I know just bigger turn is something to look at and that’s how to do it.

Thought we should have a sticky thread at the top of this section talking a bit about the golf swing and what each of you are currently working on. Obviously if you have a question or want to share a tip, a new thread makes the most sense, but this could be a great place to drop something from a recent lesson or that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Keeping my arms connected to my body through my swing.
Starting my swing with a weight transfer to the left as opposed to using my arms first.

Interestingly enough, when I became satisfied with my left/right dispersion and began to swing more relaxed with better tempo,
I began to automatically add the weight shift option to my swing. I first learned a rotational swing that made it very easy to keep my balance.
Later I added some weight shift. Then I lost the feeling in the bottom of my right foot over the winter. Not a health concern, more of the usual SNAFU
when you have had a stroke like the one I had. Now the ability to sense the ground or whatever else is under my foot is coming back.
And with it the ability to do weight shift!

Playing 6 rounds this season and already on my third putter. Scoring for me is the short game Every-time I change putter it affects my chipping style too. I willing to rotate between 3 putters this year as long as it helps my scoring
I do putt better after a switch. I do not know why but I’m rolling with the punches
Working on my irons. Establishing width on my backswing. Want to able to carry 190 yards with 6 iron by end of the season or bust

working on my partial wedges and full irons for awkward stances. The partial wedges come more naturally for me and intuitive for me to adjust

The full motion iron is a lot tougher. I think the ball above the feet lie is more natural, give me a draw Downhill stance is most awkward. Ball goes out lower and hotter but less distance. Feels like I have to chase the ball and pressure is right hand at impact is more over the right trigger finger. Ball below feet is the toughest to learn. Got a lesson from a pro Finally able to hit the ball solid with my iron. The only problem is it’s a big hook

Working hard on changing my putting stroke to incorporate Stan Utley’s putting style which very much agrees with what Brad Faxon teaches. It feel more natural and less mechanical which is a good thing for me.

I'm working on the same usual suspects that always creep into my game, especially early in the season - making a full shoulder turn, and my initial transition to the downswing. I hit a lot of wipey fades this past weekend, which is a sign I'm not turning enough in the BS and spinning out in my downswing. So the past few buckets at the range as well as my slo-mo indoor swings have focused on getting my rear shoulder behind my head, and feeling like my back is staying pointed at the target as I start my downswing.

Great practice session 15 mins each putting /chipping/sand/pitch
Went to driving range and changed my grip so that I’m looking at a completely shut clubface.
For the irons this means stronger grip and more side bend Had really sore muscles after a bucket Did gain 10-20 yards plus higher trajectory and more stopping power
For my driver this change was really awkward, did not really want to change my driver swing but sometime swing changes for certain clubs will bleed into other clubs.
For wedge /iron play for 50-130 yards I kept a neutral grip and had to be conscious of the difference in set up.
Practice open clubface grips with both Greenside bunker and flop shots.

I'm currently working on getting flexion and shallowing to start my downswing, and attempting to combine that with the flapping release, vs my standard roll.
The release feels pretty weird, but the ball is curving a lot less so that's progress.

Working on tempo with my irons and chipping. Slowed my takeaway down with the irons making sure to pause before I come thru with my chips

I did it! Ball sitting on the edge top lip of deep bunker Ball sits up severe downhill stance Almost impossible chip the normal way.
Did The Mickelson special with flop wedge my back towards the green
It’s circus shot ball flops up and BACKWARds and Flys 20 yards up and behind me and lands on green Attempted before but first time success
Wish I got it on camera.
I did 2nd time on practice just to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.
Will video next time I practice this
But I think I finally got the concept of this. Wide open clubface grip and at impact flip the wrist

Last edited:
spend 30 mins on pitch and pitch+run from odd stances Was able to do each as long as the lie and stance wasn’t too crazy.
Next spend 30 mins on full pitch motion from various stances Side hill stance and Downhill stance still yield my draw.
Though I had to “pick” /“chase” feeling through the ball. Uphill stance ball upslope gave me a fade. Able to make a wider backswing involved more of all left arm backswing
30 mins putting. Shorter putts my focus is the back edge of the cup and to make the ball roll in off the back edge. I want to impart more forward roll immediately and find that if I lift the putter and hit slightly above the equator of the ball I can get the ball rolling forward right away
Longer putts for me is just to get as close to hole as possible Still focus to make the putt
Speed is more essential for me I have a forward press and make sure butt end stays “fixed” during the putting stroke

short game on the course good this am , Had troubles off the tee with my driver . I was to focused on my left hand grip
Lighter left hand grip works better for me for the driver , Lift the driver off the ground by contracting the muscles between the left shoulder blade and spine and feel the "pull" was my thought of the day

Getting through the ball on full swings, and making sure I release the putter head on putts. Both have been coming along nicely, and looking forward to what I can do with it this year. HC jumped a few points after having kids but I think my game feels pretty good right now and I can get back down to the 7 I was before.

Spent a decent amount of time practicing toe down chipping yesterday. Seems to be a promising option worth putting more time into.

Still working on grip, path, and weight shift. Boring stuff :(
I am not hitting the face of the driver more than missing however, so that is a plus?!

Spent a decent amount of time practicing toe down chipping yesterday. Seems to be a promising option worth putting more time into.

Is that only closer to the green? Out of the rough? Just curious. There are times I should probably do this too.

Is that only closer to the green? Out of the rough? Just curious. There are times I should probably do this too.
I was practicing closer to green, can't see using it further away but I'm not positive. Rough and fringe, though I really like the ease of it from the rough.

I watched video of my swing. I'm faking my weight transfer by moving forward after my swing... almost as an afterthought. This is such a tough one for me and I keep having to work on it after I think I get it down.

Taking lessons.
Arms are too active and stay behind when I swing resulting in over draws. I like to hit out about 7 degrees to the right with around 1400 sidespin, which is fine but hard to control in the wind.
Trying to get an over the top feeling with my hands in front of me. Feels like cutting across the ball. All while keeping my clubface open.
When I do it correctly my shot is perfectly straight and has that nice sound of a perfectly hit shot.

still working on my irons, went to the simulator with a 7 iron and had two swings in mind
smooth push draw - lower trajectory spin rate 5500 landed 150 yards and run 20 yards not much stopping power
hammer fade - higher trajectory spin rate 6500 160 fly and 10 yards run and stop
I getting old and admit I cannot carry 7 iron 170+ yards like the younger guys half my age who have flat tummies are doing

Weight transfer, or in my case, lack of it. I went to the range today specifically to work on that, and results were encouraging.

Back