What clubs did you swear you'd never use, then tried them and ended up using?

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
The Adidas codechaos thread made me remember so many clubs I said I'd never use...

I would never use a white driver, nor a mallet putter, would be hard pressed to use hybrids. And Cobra started the bright color driver/wood heads, I had one that was candy apple red (would have made an incredible car!).

Those were/are mine. Today, I play a Odyssey 7s - after never playing anything bigger than an original red x. I played 2 different Taylormade white drivers and the red driver from Cobra. I have now gone through at least 5 variants of hybrids, can't see how I was resistant for so long.

My putting with the 7s in far less than 1 season of use so much better - I cannot believe I played style over substance for so long - I draw the line at SGI irons though :rolleyes:

Hybrids!

A fairway wood haha, both 3 and a 5. And love them!

Closest I can come up with is a mallet putter. Do not like them. Then I decided I wanted one to try to like it. That it would be good for me to try. I have a Spider FCG I use sometimes now and I can putt well with it.

An armlock putter. I was embarrassed to try it, but it actually helped me learn a lot about putting.

60* wedge. Tried it a long time ago and didn't get along. Decided I was fine with less loft and could just manufacture shots. Stumbled on a beautiful wedge and got suckered in by a pretty face. Turns out it performs and now I'm a fan.

Attachments

• 14-60 - 2.jpeg
    14-60 - 2.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5
Fairway wood. I swore them off years ago, which led to a huge gap between driver and my hybrids. Then I discovered Ping G410 fairway woods (5W), and that club has been nothing short of awesome.

Hybrids. The new ones are so much better.

37 degree chipper. My favorite club in the bag hands down.

Going to try a bona fide chipper this week for the first time ever. Never ever thought I would, but.....
I am losing shots if I am not on my "A" game in short shots, chunking and blading. I am hoping this will simplify these shots that lose me shots. I had to do some research on them to make sure they are legal. Luckily they are.

Going to try a bona fide chipper this week for the first time ever. Never ever thought I would, but.....
I am losing shots if I am not on my "A" game in short shots, chunking and blading. I am hoping this will simplify these shots that lose me shots. I had to do some research on them to make sure they are legal. Luckily they are.
I love mine dude. Absolutely love it. I hit it exactly like a putter, i take my putting stance and hit it EXACTLY like I do putting. I don't actually "chip it" at all. And at 37 degrees I use my putting stroke all the way out to 40 yards. I've even used to punch out of trees from 60 yards out, and then I do use more of a straight arm chip from that distance.

And the more and more I use it I'm continuing to get better with it to the point where I will sometimes even use it to go over bunkers and even uphills.

Years ago, I swore I’d never use one of those new, balloon headed drivers…….

Mini Driver
Milled face putter
Cavity back wedges
Graphite-shafted irons
Steel shafted hybrid

Those big ugly hybrid-iron sets.... Haha got a bag full of them now.

Back