What do you consider a good putt?

A 35ft down hill left breaking putt

6" or less.

A good putt to me, must be close. But a close putt may certainly not equal a good putt.

If I make a good pass at the ball but either miss my line or hit my line but ball's path proves it to have been a mis-read, I'll consider both a good stroke rather than a good putt.

A good putt to me must combine a good stroke, line, and proximity to the hole. In the case of closer putts or intermediate straight or what I'd deem "makeable" putts, of course the bar rises wrt what I'd perceive as being a good putt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If it's outside 20 ft, anything inside 2 ft is pretty solid. 10-20 ft, I want to be within a foot or so, if not in obviously. Inside 10 ft, I want it to go in.

I think with all things in golf I am really focusing on picking a line and making good contact. If I do that then it was a good putt. If I have a bad result it is because my read was bad. I am finding as I work on improving it is important to note what went wrong when a shot does not come put as intended. This helps to improve each and every shot.

If I hit my intended line with the speed I want, and the ball is rolling nicely out of the center of the face, it's a perfect putt, regardless of outcome.

As long as I'm hitting my line and pace that I intended I'm happy with my putt. I may get really mad at my inability to read greens though.

I tend to tell someone they have a good putt if they have the right line and just end up short, or have the right speed and end up next to the hole or just past it. And of course, it's a good putt if it goes in. I tend to be more strict about my own putts, though.

I tend to tell someone they have a good putt if they have the right line and just end up short, or have the right speed and end up next to the hole or just past it. And of course, it's a good putt if it goes in. I tend to be more strict about my own putts, though.
I try not to do that unless I know their expectations. What I consider a good putt might not be even close to their standards. I don't wanna offend anyone by assuming something about them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If I hit my intended line with the speed I want, and the ball is rolling nicely out of the center of the face, it's a perfect putt, regardless of outcome.
I can agree with that. I guess I just "want" the speed and intend to hit the line that'll take my ball to the hole. As long as I do both of those, I'm satisfied. I do it 18 times each round. Just wish I didn't fail to do it so many other times each round. :clown:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Depends.

Anything beyond 15 feet then I want to get it within the bottom of the putter grip since it's pickup territory for a 2-putt.

Inside that then I definitely want to be in gimmie territory but more importantly not leave it short.

Speed what I wanted, started on the line I wanted.

If I miss, that's a bad read, not a bad putt. If I'm not starting it where I think I am, and not getting the speed, I've got zero confidence in making even a straight putt so those two things are key.

Depends.

Anything beyond 15 feet then I want to get it within the bottom of the putter grip since it's pickup territory for a 2-putt.

Inside that then I definitely want to be in gimmie territory but more importantly not leave it short.

Wouldn't the bolded parts be the same thing? Care to elaborate? I feel like I'm missing something.

Wouldn't the bolded parts be the same thing? Care to elaborate? I feel like I'm missing something.
Sure I’ll elaborate.

It’s the same thing for my friends I golf with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure I’ll elaborate.

It’s the same thing for my friends I golf with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha. I just thought maybe there was a difference since it seemed like you tried to differentiate.

My intended line with my intended speed. Outcome doesn't matter.

Realistically: The one that drops in the cup.

Ideally: A good, smooth stroke... with the speed I'd intended... and on the line that I'd intended.

-Bishop

Anything I can get out of the cup, or tossed back to me after my first roll!!

On a lag putt if I can leave it inside 3’ then I’m happy. Anything inside 15’ I want to hit my line and leave something along the lines of a gimme. A bad read is a whole other thing...

Back