What do you remember from your "career round?"

My best ever was a 37/42=79 on my home course, about 3 1/2 years ago. I remember that it was one of those rare days when everything was working pretty well. I was trying really hard not to focus on my score because I knew I was shooting probably the best game of my life and didn't want to get too locked in on that. I was just writing the numbers down and looking away as quickly as I could. I went par-par-bogey on the last three holes and figured I was probably somewhere close to 80. Needless to say I was stoked when I added it up at the end and saw I had broken 80 for the first time (and still the only time I've done it).

I had a similarly good round going a few months ago, but I made the mistake of starting to pay too much attention to my score on the back 9. I came to the 17th tee knowing that if I could just par the last two holes (a short, easy par 3 and a relatively easy par 5), I'd shoot a 77 and break my previous record. On one hand I was licking my chops, but on the other hand the nerves really set in. I proceeded to take a 7 on the par 3 17th, easiest hole on the course, and bogeyed #18 to end up with an 82. :mad:

Last edited:
June 2018, -4.

What I remember was that I wasn't in any kind of zone. I was actually staying on myself, internally chastising, demanding that I stay within each and every shot to maintain singular focus.

I recall certain shots here and there but not close to all. What I remember most was that feeling when I holed out for par on 18.

I did it, I thought. Then aloud. Holy smokes, "I did it."

It was 30+ years ago I don’t remember much other than I eagled the first hole and birdied the second. I’ve had other rounds on tougher courses that are way more memorable including a 68 in 2014 that included a hole in one on the 5th hole.

The biggest thing was converting all of the up and downs. Saved so many shots that day with the short game.

My PBs are both so long ago I don't remember many specifics. My non tournament PB is a 66 and I just remember making 6 birdies and no bogies. My tournament PB was a 70 in the State Am and I remember going long on the 16th hole and making an all world bogey from under a bush that kept the round from being derailed. I also remember making a ton of 5 footers that round as the greens were lighting fast and putts were rolling out.

One other round I remember was shooting 67 once in an annual outing with a bunch of buddies (we had the 25th two years ago). This is a very social event lots of drinking thing not many serious golfers and I had at least 6 beers through 12 holes when I realized I was 4 under and slowed down the booze. I made one more birdie and I remember that I hit 17 greens that day on a course I had never seen before and the one I missed was right over the flag. The other three in my group I don't think broke 110 and had no idea I was playing that well.

Back