What does your police blotter show...

We're still legal to play golf, but there sure is a loud vocal minority bi***ing about it in the comments section of the local news rags. They want everything shut down, no exceptions. I just figure they fall into one of two categories - tinfoil hat nutbags who think that everybody should be locked down in their homes breathing nothing but purified oxygen, and/or miserable, jealous people who figure since they can't do whatever their favorite activity is, nobody else should be able to either.

We're still legal to play golf, but there sure is a loud vocal minority bi***ing about it in the comments section of the local news rags. They want everything shut down, no exceptions. I just figure they fall into one of two categories - tinfoil hat nutbags who think that everybody should be locked down in their homes breathing nothing but purified oxygen, and/or miserable, jealous people who figure since they can't do whatever their favorite activity is, nobody else should be able to either.
I'm betting more of the complaints are coming from your second group. It's really kind of pathetic IMO. I just witnessed it again when I went hiking a couple days ago. A State Forest employee who there to remind of social distancing requirements and to let us know which trail sections would still require water crossings (super wet spring). He was catching all kinds of heat from a patron. I was waiting my turn behind her and her partner and she even went as far as to take a pic of him, a closeup of his badge, and jot down his supervisor's name/rank. I guarantee she complained somewhere and I hope it doesn't result in that popular multi use rec area being closed down for now, but it might?

Thing is I agree with her that the shooting range (about 2 acres of thousands) might be an outdoor 'activity' but it's not really that much 'exercise'. Also I don't prefer the sound of the gun fire audible for the first half mile of one of the 6 trails there, either. But I do side heavily with the Forest Service employee's counsel to her. Basically he tried to let her know that a deluge of complaints or a social media fire could very easily end up triggering bureaucrats to shut it all down for everyone. No more hiking, mountain biking, trail running, horse back riding mushroom hunting, nothing. She didn't want to acknowledge his point that if they now shut down just the range a few miserable jealous shooters are going to go all out to take everyone else's fun away too. Like so many nowadays, she didn't seem able to fathom that she wasn't the center of the universe.

Back