What happened to Slazenger?

Their golf clothing is comfortable and reasonably priced. Looks fine, too.

Of what vintage? Do you ever hit em?

Pretty sure it's this one. Took it out for a few swings when I lost my driver last year. I was ready to try anything :)

s-l225.jpg

Dicks don't own the brand. They license it for the US. Slazenger is now owned by Sports Direct in the UK. That company is owned by Mike Ashley, the owner of Newcastle United football club. They also own Dunlop (sporting goods).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No clue, I have a few shirts by them that I really like. but not sure who owns the brand now.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm guessing they won't be entering the "players" market again any time soon, but if they do I'll be first in line! I am gonna pick up some clothing though, they have some good lookin stuff

I have a few golf shirts from them. Haven't seen their clubs in a long time.

Dick’s Sporting Goods has never owned Slazenger. They are currently owned by BTR PLC. They have distribution with Dicks/Golf Galaxy (since they are one and the same).
They are and have always been based in England even when owned by Dunlop (1959-1985). Slazenger has all but done away with their golf product line and concentrate mostly on their tennis presence. The only 2 golf balls they sell anymore are the V300 Soft and the V100 Distance and both are dirt cheap when bought from Slazenger directly.

I have a set of Slazenger clubs 1940's vintage with steel shafts that are inclosed in a plastic like sheath called pyratone. The faces are punched not grooved and have the lofts and lie angles stamped on the back of the heads. 3-iron 25* loft, 4 - 29*, 5 - 34*, 6 - 39*, 7 - 44*, 8 - 50*, 9 is the putter. The woods are persimmon 2, 3 and 4.

Dick’s Sporting Goods has never owned Slazenger. They are currently owned by BTR PLC. They have distribution with Dicks/Golf Galaxy (since they are one and the same).
They are and have always been based in England even when owned by Dunlop (1959-1985). Slazenger has all but done away with their golf product line and concentrate mostly on their tennis presence. The only 2 golf balls they sell anymore are the V300 Soft and the V100 Distance and both are dirt cheap when bought from Slazenger directly.

DSG also sells buckets of Slazenger X-Outs... Right @e1iterate ?

I used to play the Slazenger Seve Ballesteros BeCu irons, great feel

The Slazenger brand has been licenced and various rights sold off to various global corporations over the years. Another poster mentions that in the US it’s controlled by Dick’s Sporting Goods. Here in the UK, a guy called Mike Ashley who owns Sports Direct and several other retail brands has the rights and Slazenger golf equipment is for sale in his stores.

I'm a big fan of the discontinued "Money Ball"! The gold one is impossible to find in the leaves during "Fall" golf here in New England.

Before the Dicks licensing deal they had a warehouse in Greenville SC. They also distributed their tennis line from there. It is long gone.
I am starting to feel like we could write a where did they go thread for Wilson Staff.

When I was a little kid I loved finding and playing Slazenger's! Also liked Maxfli!

Remember the Shark Ball with the number 0? I think it was XS ball.

Slazenger used to make great clubs in the UK during the late 1950s though to the 1980s, after that they slipped into the cheaper end of the market.
They also had a superb facility in Australia and produced some excellent clubs there too.
Below are a few UK examples.
1661032021279.png1661031845472.png1661031923538.png1661031958345.png1661031980742.png

And finally an example from Australia.

1661032070854.png

I liked the Slazenger Raw Distance soft feel balls. Maybe, a head of their time, at the time?

I still have a Slazenger Kirk Curry putter. Really nice putter.

I still have a Slazenger Kirk Curry putter. Really nice putter.
Me too, a copper one that's spent a lot of time in my bag this year. According to Kirk Currie's old business partner Jack Nicklaus used one like mine during his last few Senior Tour tournaments.20220820_225052.jpg20220820_224927.jpg

Last edited:
I found a couple of their balls in the woods before and didn’t recognize the brand. It’s cool to see you guys talking about it and learning some of the history.

Slazenger used to make great clubs in the UK during the late 1950s though to the 1980s, after that they slipped into the cheaper end of the market.
They also had a superb facility in Australia and produced some excellent clubs there too.
Below are a few UK examples.
View attachment 9114100View attachment 9114084View attachment 9114089View attachment 9114098View attachment 9114099

And finally an example from Australia.

View attachment 9114101
The top ones look just like an old M/T Tourney head. Slazanger probably bought the heads or maybe the iron blanks from MacGregor and stamped their logo on it. They did that with Ping Anser putters in the late 60s.

I liked the Slazenger Raw Distance soft feel balls. Maybe, a head of their time, at the time?
Loved those balls!! 2fer packs were really cheap, and the Soft Feel ball was pretty decent, even around the green. Was not going to back up, or even check that good, but I played them for the distance. As long as Pinnacles, or TF XL's. Money ball went away, as did the Soft Feel, only Distance last year or so, then no Slazenger balls at Dick's. Maxfli is probably their best selling house brand ball, next to TF, with the 2fer deals. Currently gaming the TF Hammer Control yellow.

Back