What happened to wedges?

barspin89

Head Case
Reaction score
Handicap
Long story short, I need my 3 iron back in the bag to fill a distance gap so a wedge needs to go. After researching wedges for the last few weeks I decided to go and take a look at some in person. What I realized was that almost all the new wedges have offset. A good amount of offset. The only classic shaped minimal offset wedges available in stores are the Vokey SM6 and the PING's. I've never liked the feel of PING wedges and with Nike out of the club business that left me with no choice. I understand offset and what it's purpose is, but in wedges? Cleveland, Mizuno, Callaway... all have offset. When did this happen? Just curious to see how other players feel about the look and design of new wedges.

I disagree that the Clevelands (RTX-3) and Callaways (MD3) have offset. The Mizunos I can't comment on. The reason I disagree is that while those wedges do have some shaping to the hosel, the face is actually not set back from the shaft like true offset. This shaping of the hosel allows room for more curvature of the leading edge and is more apparent in the higher lofts (even the Vokeys do this).

So IMO it's a non issue, especially after hitting them.

I've contacted numerous companies that have given me the specs on their wedges and there is definitely offset. Vokeys have some as well in the lower lofts although not nearly as much. Comparing a Vokey SM6 and an RTX-3 side by side, the difference was night and day. The curved leading edge is another feature I can do without. I'm picky when it comes to the look of my clubs at address, especially my irons and wedges. Cobra is one of the few companies that still make zero offset wedges. Just picked up a set of Mizuno irons with stronger lofts so my Cobra Tour Trusty's are back in the bag.

I've contacted numerous companies that have given me the specs on their wedges and there is definitely offset. Vokeys have some as well in the lower lofts although not nearly as much. Comparing a Vokey SM6 and an RTX-3 side by side, the difference was night and day. The curved leading edge is another feature I can do without. I'm picky when it comes to the look of my clubs at address, especially my irons and wedges. Cobra is one of the few companies that still make zero offset wedges. Just picked up a set of Mizuno irons with stronger lofts so my Cobra Tour Trusty's are back in the bag.

So bend them. Wedges are soft, if you dont like offset, bend it so it has onset or is neutral. Not hard to do and you can play whatever you would like.

To answer your question, this must have happened 35+ years ago. I have over 30 wedges in my garage from 7 different companies, several from each decade starting in 1980. They all have a little offset but I am super picky about offset and they all look fine to me. The offset on my Srixon gap wedge is typical of most of my other wedges and it is .065", or about 1/16th of an inch. If that bothers you, bend them like JB said.

Get yourself some Bombtech wedges. Little to no offset and $100 for a 3-wedge set.

Long story short, I need my 3 iron back in the bag to fill a distance gap so a wedge needs to go. After researching wedges for the last few weeks I decided to go and take a look at some in person. What I realized was that almost all the new wedges have offset. A good amount of offset. The only classic shaped minimal offset wedges available in stores are the Vokey SM6 and the PING's. I've never liked the feel of PING wedges and with Nike out of the club business that left me with no choice. I understand offset and what it's purpose is, but in wedges? Cleveland, Mizuno, Callaway... all have offset. When did this happen? Just curious to see how other players feel about the look and design of new wedges.

Not that many years ago, I played MacGregor Tourney 1982 ColoKrom irons in the warmer months and switched to my Ping Zings in the winter. That is a drastic visual transition for some people to make, but I am one of the lucky ones who appreciated the look of a blade, or a Ping offset iron.

If the hosel transition of the newer wedges bothers you, then you could go on Ebay and find a wedge that suites your eye. There are hundreds of them that have been lightly used.

So bend them. Wedges are soft, if you dont like offset, bend it so it has onset or is neutral. Not hard to do and you can play whatever you would like.

I know wedges can be bent but you can't just bend the offset out of them. Plus, bending wedges changes the bounce.

I know wedges can be bent but you can't just bend the offset out of them. Plus, bending wedges changes the bounce.

How would altering offset change bounce?

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. First off, offset can't be changed because it's built into the clubhead. And second, bending a clubhead strong or weak effectively changes the bounce. I'm not a proffesional club builder but this is what I've always understood based on the research I've done and what I've been told by professional club builders. Am I missing something here?

Have you tried the Callaway Mac Daddy Forged? They look like they have a very straight leading edge and little offset compared to just about any other wedge out right now.

I play old-school 588 RTG wedges partly because I hate offset, mostly because they work best for me out of bermuda rough. And, well, I always liked them.

Takes some searching on ebay to find them in really good shape though. Dernit.

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. First off, offset can't be changed because it's built into the clubhead. And second, bending a clubhead strong or weak effectively changes the bounce. I'm not a proffesional club builder but this is what I've always understood based on the research I've done and what I've been told by professional club builders. Am I missing something here?

Wedges have long hosels and by an experienced club builder can be bent high on the hosel to remove offset and then bent the opposite way lower on the hosel to return the bounce and loft to the factory spec.

Back