What investments in your game are you making?

1. Good Equipment
2. Practice with purpose
3. Play
4. Analysis

Course Time - been playing 3 times a week since April, and am continually working on specific swing goals

Equipment - constantly trying new setups/building new things to try, and testing clubs/balls/other gear

Shot tracking, data collection, and analysis - doesn't take much financial investment, but definitely takes time to study and best utilize the into. I've stepped back from this a tiny bit because of that.

Body - lots of gym and medical

Research time - THP, YouTube, etc to expand the knowledge base

Practice - there's a good range by our house I've taken a liking to.

Last edited:
Paid for PXG fitting at a private club and may buy a mixed set of their irons / as a Veteran get a discount but apparently right now same for all on that. Just bought a discounted Titleist S3 driver after fitting and it is superb so far in all respects. Next will be a hybrid, but real particular on those. I have a need long term to potentially modernize/change putters but still love my old Scotty Cameron circa 62.
Finally rejoining a competitive golf league - I play best when playing fine players and under some type of event. If in DC area check out nihga league - play great courses in medal play in summer and in Fall turns to match play for team event.

Myself, my only golf investment is a lot of time for practice, and play. In that order.

Now that cooler weather has finally arrived, I will now have more time to invest.

My own golf reality is not so much to get better, but to slow down the deterioration of my game due to the aging process.

Over the winter, I will be piecing together..............

50-54-58 wedge set.

Possibly new driver.

I've been toying with a few 4H hybrids, but I still love my 4 iron off the tee on tight par 4's. I tend to scatter the 4H much more than my 4 iron.

Also I usually take two lessons a year in Slring and Fall and have found a fine instructor whom I tip for the effort to try to improve a 62 y/o who once was pretty good but now need to get serious about again.

Have been exercising trying to keep this old body together. (y)

Playing a lot more this year.
Starting a long-term plan with a teacher next week. Looking to build a reliable swing for the future.

I've decided to hire a full-time physio; mental coach; swing coach; Dave Pelz for my short game; a fortune teller; a weather expert; a pro caddy and a physics professor in the hope this can get me off the dreaded 25 handicap and down to 22 within 5 years.

Thinking More.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Time is my biggest investment. Doing lots of drill work trying to change my swing. Also bought a Planemate. Playing a minimum of two rounds a week. Putting practice and gym work. Hopefully the breakthrough is near.

This has been a weird year in regards to throwing money and effort into improvement.

As far as equipment, I got rid of all my name brand crap and started out fresh with all new, not so well-known clubs. I also stopped giving money to the local golf professionals. These things apparently have turned out to be a blessing.

On the investment of time, I no longer practice every chance I can. I'm convinced it was doing little more than beating up my old body. So practices are less frequent and with much shorter periods of time. I also stopped recording my swing on video and trying to improve based on my poor interpretation of what a golf swing should look like. I now judge the swing solely on results.

While my scoring average has gone up this year, I've never felt as good about a swing or equipment as I do currently. If nothing changes in the next two months, it will mark the first time I've kept the same swing for an entire season.

Next year may be different. There are glaring weaknesses in my game that need to be addressed if improvement once again becomes something I choose to pursue. But 2020 has been the year of trying to forget all the useless (for me) information I bought into over the previous 8.

My investments have been a little bit of everything this year.

Equipment: I did a proper fitting and updated my bag from top to bottom, and also bought a PuttOut Pressure Trainer and putting mat.

Training: In addition to using the PuttOut, I've spent more time practicing (especially short game) than I probably ever have. Now that the gyms are reopening, I'm back in there working on my fitness (both strength and cardio) and getting rid of the 10 pounds I gained during the 'rona.

Playing: I joined a semi-private club and am playing 3-4 rounds per week. Have played 102 rounds so far this year.

Data: I'm using GHIN and my Garmin watch to track my stats, trying to target my focus where it's needed most, and using THP and YouTube for research, inspiration and knowledge.

I use my puttout reguarly and I have been looking at the Todd Graves single plane school really hard.
I find that when I invest the time to practice especially the short game play better go figure

I use my puttout regularly and I have been looking at the Todd Graves single plane school really hard.
I find that when I invest the time to practice especially the short game play better go figure:unsure:

For me it's more a time investment other than the range balls.

Definitely lessons for me - I found an instructor I really click with and I’ve dropped about 8 shots since working with him (I’m a beginner so I had a lot of shots to drop lol). Going to buy a few more lessons to learn a few more things...and then practice practice practice!

Equipment:
I'm just getting started so I have an old hand me down set of RAM Accubar irons, and a beat up bag and a used Cleveland 588 Custom driver. This summer I have purchased a clicgear pushcart and umbrella, and my first brand new clubs - a spider x putter and a Titleist 56* SW. I spent some money on the putter, figuring it will last a long time.

Tech:
I have tried out a few pro apps (hole19, golfshot pro, thegrint) and am trying to make use of the shot tracking to get a better feel for my club distances.

Practice:
I took a set of lessons with my son and plan to take more next year. I have prepaid for 30 buckets of balls at a range next door to work and am trying to go 3-4 times per week combining putting, chipping and then work off the matts.

Play:
I'm trying to plan my hole and make smarter shot/club choices as opposed to every shot just being to hit it towards the flag. I am researching and considering a membership next year to allow for more frequent play at a manageable cost.

Lessons and practice for sure at this point in my game. I recently went through a period where I felt lost over the ball.

It took a few weeks, but some simple drills and lessons made it apparent I need to get more practice in. I'm usually of the mindset that just playing (more) golf will help me get better, but its practice and the right type of practice that makes the difference.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I made two big investments this year. 1) I started taking lessons from a pretty expensive coach that has a good reputation and 2) I joined a private club to get out and play more.

Back