What is going through your mind when you are playing your very best golf?

Very little actually. Is a feeling that only happens a couple of times a season, when everything is firing in the same direction. Stand at the ball and there is absolutely no doubt that the strike will be pure and the result will be what was expected. Is when the game seems so easy, and that is the cruel part because the other side of the coin is a complete disaster!

I'm like the majority here, absolutely nothing. When I shot my PB's, I can't remember thinking about anything.

I’m picking my target and picturing it in my brain while I swing. On my really good days I can just think fade or draw and it happens, it’s a feel thing and does not involve any adjustments other than thinking inside/out or outside/in.

This is definitely something I gotta work on because I’m fully aware I’m having a great round and I usually fall off the rails the last 2 or 3 holes lol

Hit the ball, find it, hit it again. No care in the world ... just comes natural. My father used to call it "a walk in the park" when I was playing well. (y)

Honest answer, not much of anything. I try really hard to maintain things on the down low, calm, relaxed, low expectations - don't tally scores - nothing. Just a bunch of nothing.

Nothing at all.. Total calm in the mind and body. Just moving along the course

As a lot have said: very little.

I think that the time you have to stare down at that motionless little ball and mess with your own mind before your shot instead of just reacting like so many sports is one of the things that makes golf so difficult.

Once I stand over the ball, there is very little in the way of thoughts going through my mind - all of the thinking is done whilst walking to the ball and the shot choice has already been made and I just have to execute it

Not really much because I'm so confident at that time there is nothing to think about other than point and shoot.

When I've played my best - it's always the same thing.

Oh yeah, this is how I do it. *then the song comes on in my head*

Actually, I don't think anything. I usually am just 'slightly aware' that I'm playing well, since I don't write the scores down immediately on each hole or track totals. I may jot them down 3 or 4 at a time just to do it and fill in the spaces. that way, I'm not thinking about "oh, I need this.." or " better not do that...". Tee it up, hit it, find it, hit it, putt it.

UNFORTUNATELY... this method rarely come in to play anymore and I play like poop when I get out there. But when I was better....

Actually... I can be my own worst enemy. After 3/4 holes of excellent play... I’ll probably start thinking... “what have I been doing?” And instead of just going with the flow of it all... now I’m analyzing, and that’s getting totally away from playing freely.

When I'm playing good I'm just focusing on The Next shot and making 1 good swing.

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk

Not much.
See target, flick ball to target.
No thoughts about score or swing.....

No thoughts, just vibes. Picking out the line and sending it.

I inevitably start thinking "PB", and then it all goes to sh*t...

I was -2 through 6 last week and then those thoughts started creeping in. I bogeyed the next 2 holes and shot even on the front, then went +6 on the back :/

Avoiding those thoughts is way easier said than done.

I will let you know when I actually play good golf, but when I hit a good shot I do think to myself ok let's do that again. i play back my swing and target through my mind.

I inevitably start thinking "PB", and then it all goes to sh*t...

I was -2 through 6 last week and then those thoughts started creeping in. I bogeyed the next 2 holes and shot even on the front, then went +6 on the back :/

Avoiding those thoughts is way easier said than done.
I had a PB 9 the other day... but those thoughts made the last three holes worse than the first 6.

Question says it. Curious to read what folks say.
*take deep breaths... Don't think about the "s" word..... Don't overthink the shot.... Hey dummy!! - stop thinking it only hurts the ball club!"

“Holy crap, I’m playing my best golf!”

Imagining every shot and getting pretty close to that as the result. Other than that, nothing. Zero swing thoughts when playing my best.

I like this. Way back in the day, when Jack Nicklaus was a "playing editor" for Golf Digest, he once wrote if you can play a round with only one swing thought in your mind, that's still one too many! I think swing thoughts are for the practice range. On the course I like what I call "shot thoughts". I try to see the shot in my mind, and then make it.

Basically I'm trying no to do this:
IMG-20220810-WA0000.jpg

I'd like to pretend they are the same thoughts as when I'm playing badly, but that would be a lie. That is the goal, however.

Right now, I try to not get too geeked out about playing well. Not because I don't want to enjoy it, but more to stay focused. I know there's going to be a stretch of trouble - a bad hole or two at best - but being mentally prepared for whatever might happen has helped me remain more even-keeled of late.

Back