What is the number one thing you can do to minimize bad shots/mis-hits?

Posture/setup

Good tempo
Consistent pre-shot routine

Last edited:
I was thinking before I saw the posts - staying connected with relaxed arms but those two items ae about -

clubface control.

Rushing my shots, especially when the course is crowded.

Rushing my shots, especially when the course is crowded.
I have so done this! I can play fast golf, but I do not like being rushed at all and my game suffers when I am - especially putting and chipping. I cannot mention the games that would have been possible high 70s had I not rushed putting and chipping.

You can play fast golf and still not be rushed, but it is a discipline. I play with a single digit capper and he plays very fast, but he does not rush his shots. You can tell he has a zone that he does not compromise.

For me, it's always tempo!

Relax

For me it's not flipping at the ball. Release the club at the right time.

The last shot has absolutely no effect on the next one. If you can’t expel thoughts of the last shot, last hole, etc…, then don’t bother.

The #1 thing is not to play.:ROFLMAO:

That's the one goal I have, to make my bad shots "ok" or playable. I've been failing on that front quite a bit lately, but if I had to pick one element of the swing to focus on that keeps bad shots from being really bad, it would be swing path.

If you are able to keep your swing path fairly consistent, it then takes big errors in your club face or where your swing bottoms out relative to your impact position to hit really bad shots. But a poor swing path can result in truly awful shots, even when everything else is relatively consistent. My opinion anyway.

As the title states. What is the number one thing you can do to minimize bad shots/mis-hits? Is this setup, body position, ball position, focus points, etc. What is the number 1 thing you have found that minimizes your bad shots?
I would go with set up and balance points. If you set up poorly compensations need to be made from the beginning.

Learn impact. Start with four-foot swing and hit the ball cleanly, ball first-ground second. Spend a lot of time with this until you get this right consistently. Figure out what you have to do. The hands leading the clubhead through impact is a big change you probably need to make. Once your four-foot swings are working consistently and for a LOT of times (hundreds of times, and I'm not kidding), move to five-foot swings. Learn how to make a five-foot swing work. Be money with a five-foot swing. Then learn how to make a six-foot swing work. Etc. This is going to take some time (months!), but you will be building positive habits that don't come overnight.

Beer. Because when you are drunk, no shot is really that bad and you also have an excuse that you were drunk.

For me it's the takeaway. If I get behind myself I never get the club back to the right spot and OTT motion gets super exaggerated.

Isn't it obvious?

new driver.PNG

Smooth swing, not trying to kill it.

Probably contrary to popular opinion, not focusing on a "super smooth swing" I am looking to hit with a lot of intent an a little bit of aggression. If I get too "smooth" I get lazy and end up with those blocky, pushy shots that I absolutely hate to see since I play a fade primarily.

I think hitting with an intent and visualizing what you are trying to do is extremely important.

I think the question can be broken down into two parts

1/ Static faults , simple stuff like , grip and alignment .
These don’t take, many hours of training or elaborate technology to address.
Fundamental flaws and faults contribute a lot to poor outcomes but are readily solvable.

2/ Dynamic faults , the dynamic stuff is the moving parts , club face and rotation etc, are those that require technology and possibly independently viewed and motion capture etc to visually identify and address and then work at solution .
They will take time and require someone of ability to assess and analyse and rectify so those things are far harder to fix.

As for number one thing , follow basics and worry about the finesse and fancy stuff latter.

When I play my best and minimize the bad shots, it all starts with having a consistent bottom to the arc. Sure, I can still mess up on path and club face. But those fat/thin shots freaking kill me. I can go months without the arc getting wonky, but once it does, I find myself trying a million things to get back to hitting solid shots.

Is it rude to say stay at home? Can't count the number of rounds when I think that

Sound fundamentals combined with decent rhythm.

Back