What is the single best dish in your town/hometown?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
If you had someone come in town for one day and said, "take me to the single best thing to eat in this town."

Where are you going and what are you ordering.

Pictures encouraged.

I think we'd be going for a meat sweats plate at Guess Family BBQ.

guessbbq.jpg

Here are the few that came to mind, the first kind of joking, but it's really what our state is known for!
1504816267179.jpeg
The next is quite popular, especially in the cold months!
1504035657861.jpeg
The last, from the same Runza restaurant chain, a fast food place, they call it a runza, but the technical name is: Bierock
Product_CREME_1200x1300_Combo_RunzaCheese_0x0jpg

20220328_122008.jpg

Oh man... what a cruel thread? This is my answer this second and is subject to change in the next hour. It is also focused on just 1 item rather than a full meal.

Nancy Cakes from Nancy's Hustle. They melt in your mouth and the roe/chive butter is out of this world.

Nancy cakes with cultured butter, smoked trout roe & chives

Nancy_s_Cakes_maipham.jpeg

Oh man... what a cruel thread? This is my answer this second and is subject to change in the next hour. It is also focused on just 1 item rather than a full meal.

Nancy Cakes from Nancy's Hustle. They melt in your mouth and the roe/chive butter is out of this world.

Nancy cakes with cultured butter, smoked trout roe & chives

Nancy_s_Cakes_maipham.jpeg

that looks amazing. :love:

that looks amazing. :love:

I love that place. If you're ever in Houston, I highly recommend it but reservations usually have to be made weeks out since it is a pretty tiny place. They have a parmesan cheesecake that is almost as incredible.

This is what I miss about living in Houston. What is the right answer? Such a melting pot of cultures and so much food!

Tex Mex?
BBQ?
Kolaches?
Cajun?
Vietnamese?
Soul Food?

I wouldn't even know where to begin. There is so much amazing food in Houston that you could go to a different place every night and not see the same place twice in a year.

This is what I miss about living in Houston. What is the right answer? Such a melting pot of cultures and so much food!

Tex Mex?
BBQ?
Kolaches?
Cajun?
Vietnamese?
Soul Food?
I wouldn't even know where to begin. There is so much amazing food in Houston that you could go to a different place every night and not see the same place twice in a year.

not meant to be easy. I show up at your house tomorrow. I'm picking up the bill. Where are we going?

While not a dish I would say that Philadelphia makes the best rolls and soft pretzels.

If you had someone come in town for one day and said, "take me to the single best thing to eat in this town."

Where are you going and what are you ordering.

Pictures encouraged.

I think we'd be going for a meat sweats plate at Guess Family BBQ.

View attachment 9076699
Damn that looks 🔥

not meant to be easy. I show up at your house tomorrow. I'm picking up the bill. Where are we going?
Again, it's an incredibly tough choice. Do I take you to Red River or Killens for BBQ. Do we go to T Bone Toms for the best Chicken Fried steak I've ever had? Do we go to an amazing steakhouse like Perry's? Do we go to Top Water grille for fresh caught seafood? Do we head downtown for China Garden? There are endless choices just in my SE corner of Houston, throw in the whole greater Houston metro area and you could easily come up with 300+ places that anyone would consider amazing food. We may not have much else for tourism, but there's a reason Houston is the fattest city in America!

If it is in Phoenix then I would say Kai since you are picking up the bill. :ROFLMAO: I have been once and am planning to go again but it is an amazing experience. I do the tasting menu with wine when I do these type of restaurants.

1648486284865.png

I’m a Baptist so that’s easy, homemade potato salad 😅

The best that could be called fine dining would be Seafood Stuffed Shells at a Greek/Italian place called, originally enough, The Mediterranean.
The lamb burger at the oldest place in town called The General Denver is excellent. Also very good but not really a destination worthy meal is The Huntsman, a pot roast sandwich on a pretzel bun.
Probably the most famous (or infamous) would be the Rodburger at an old greasy spoon out in the country called Rod's Capricorn Inn. A smashed out burger patty twice the size of the bun that is served on a bed of crinkle cut fries. They are a couple of owners since the original Rod sold the place (after a couple of heartattacks, thus the infamous).

In my small town, first thing that comes to mind is the French Dip

french dip 2.jpg

In my small town the Beef Roll is the big thing.

1648486294300.png

Otherwise in college it's the Horseshoe.

1648486389973.png

I'm going to need some follow up. so it's a potato?

is it cooked?

just dip in butter and go to town?

Syracuse is famous for Salt Potatoes... little mini potatoes caked in salt that you cook and then serve draped in butter.

I was trying to find a pic as there is local place (Bull and Bear Roadhouse) that serves "Loaded Salts." It's basically a dish of salt potatoes topped w/ amazing pulled pork, sour cream and chives. Best app around here.

Again, it's an incredibly tough choice. Do I take you to Red River or Killens for BBQ. Do we go to T Bone Toms for the best Chicken Fried steak I've ever had? Do we go to an amazing steakhouse like Perry's? Do we go to Top Water grille for fresh caught seafood? Do we head downtown for China Garden? There are endless choices just in my SE corner of Houston, throw in the whole greater Houston metro area and you could easily come up with 300+ places that anyone would consider amazing food. We may not have much else for tourism, but there's a reason Houston is the fattest city in America!

I know I lived there. :LOL:

btw it's a nobi dog for me.

nobidog-2_thyrsl.jpg

Back