What is your favorite Golf GPS/shot tracking app?

That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting
Do you use a phone or watch app to track yourself on the course?

I'm currently using SwingU and I don't like it much. The watch app tends to auto-close and the iOS app rarely shows where I'm actually at on a hole. I paid for the yearly premium version so I'm kinda stuck with it until next season but I'm curious about others' experiences with their apps.

I'm hesitant to purchase another iOS app but will if there is a consensus best working app.

My best TheGrint friends swear by the grint app on their apple watches. It has made me want a watch gps setup for myself, but I"m not an iOS guy, so choices are more limited.

On my phone it’s Arccos. On my Apple Watch, it’s TheGrint.

Use a galaxy watch and golfpad gps app, have used it for a few years now and have no complaints. You can use the app for free on your phone but if you want to use a watch it's 20 a year which I think is reasonable.

I use 18 birdies, because when I typed it in my phone knowing nothing about these things it came up and I clicked on it. Seems to work fine but it's phone only.

A few of the people I've played with this year have used The Grint and had good things to say. It seems pretty popular. GolfShot also looks pretty nice. I've never heard anything about 18 birdies I'll look into it.

I'm going to download a couple and see what the free versions are like. Usually all the features I'm interested in are behind the paywall but the free versions should at least let me know if I'll like the interface.

Arccos across the board both phone and watch. I like the watch for the FCB GPS plus I get the plays like which is great, it also does the pin placement when I remember to hit it. I don't like to use the watch to shot track with I just use it for the GPS. Another plus is the battery life is a non-issue when using just the GPS. The phone App is great too and I have zero issues with it in my left front pocket. I use it all the time to add my duffs, check and add putts on the fly and if I hit OB I just add the penalty right a way so I don't forget about it. I just wish they offered a handicap like Grint but no telling what they would charge.

the grint on my phone...but it's losing it's luster.

I've used Golf Pad on my phone. It was okay, but then I fell down the Arccos rabbit hole. Arccos isn't bad (I use the Link) but it misses a lot of shots and for the life of my I cannot bet it to accurately track putts. If I had to do it over again, I would not have spent the money on Arccos and would have just stuck with Golf Pad or the Grint.

I’m another Arccos guy. I was using a Garmin multi sport watch and that worked great. Arccos though us more metrics and the club tracking is awesome.
I use it with my AW6 and so far has been pretty much perfect.

I use a Garmin watch (Fēnix 6), and use their native golf app. It uploads all my stats to the phone afterward and I can review/edit them in the Garmin Golf app on my phone. I don't like messing around with a phone during a round, it's too distracting and time consuming for me. Plus, the Garmin is my daily watch and activity/workout tracker for other stuff too.

Last edited:
I use GolfShot Plus because I bought it a long time ago and it still works.

It has all of our 9-hole Executive course. :)

I use a Garmin watch (Fēnix 6), and use their native golf app. It uploads all my stats to the phone afterward and I can review/edit them in the Garmin Golf app on my phone. I don't like messing around with a phone during a round, it's too distracting and time consuming for me.
Different Garmin watch, I have the Approach S60, but I like it for exactly the same reasons. Review and edit afterwards using Garmin Golf app my phone or computer and just play golf while I'm out there. Hate having to dick around and do anything at all with my phone while I'm out playing golf. I assume the watch prompts and app interface are similar on the Fenix. So fast and simple on the course and if I do miss something so easy to fix later after the golf is done.

Different Garmin watch, I have the Approach S60, but I like it for exactly the same reasons. Review and edit afterwards using Garmin Golf app my phone or computer and just play golf while I'm out there. Hate having to dick around and do anything at all with my phone while I'm out playing golf. I assume the watch prompts and app interface are similar on the Fenix. So fast and simple on the course and if I do miss something so easy to fix later after the golf is done.
I think the S60 might have a few more golf features than the Fēnix, but I'm sure the interface is very similar. The only thing I turned off is entering which club I hit on the watch - although it was amazingly good at guessing which club I just hit, I got tired of having to choose it after every shot and it was kinda janky about when the prompt showed up. I just go in after the round and edit my club info in the app, I don't care about tracking every single shot every single round anyway. I tracked every shot/club selection for enough rounds to get a good baseline on how far I hit my clubs, and that's all I really needed that data for.

I am a grint guy obviously, but we're a Samsung family, and it wasn't an ideal combo recently. Well I can say that thegrint's watch app works on the new galaxy 4 watches that run Wear OS (by Samsung) again. :):)

Back