What is your job industry like for 2024?

Manufacturing. Always for some reason slow during the review/raise “lucky to have a job” time of year. Then like clockwork picks up again right after. Strange lol
Holding Mel Gibson GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

Then

Paying Make It Rain GIF by Travis

MEP engineering... specifically in the healthcare space. Business is good, and doesn't show any signs of slowing down right now.

We pay unicorns in our industry, but it seems to be paid the very tip top of the scale you have to move around more than I have.

never run out of jobs in public education

I'm in the sewer business, people don't want to deal with their own waste product, so no shortage of paying customers. But, because we pay crap (yes, I said it) and our management believes doing more with less, we're down at least 1, if not 2 people in my office and moral and tempers are wearing very thin.

Plenty of jobs seem to be going in my field of airport operations, and they mostly pay pretty well. Whenever I have to fill a position, it can be tough. Thankfully, people always need to fly. The only time it did get a bit dicey and I was concerned I may get laid off for the first time ever is when the pandemic first hit.

I'm in the sewer business, people don't want to deal with their own waste product, so no shortage of paying customers. But, because we pay crap (yes, I said it) and our management believes doing more with less, we're down at least 1, if not 2 people in my office and moral and tempers are wearing very thin.
Where's there's "you know what" there's gold no?

Medical Imaging ( retired )
Short staffed, over worked, and 60% of exams ordered are in correct or inappropriate.
Let's see more patients with less techs...YAY!
Glad I'm out.

Work for a major Media Company that owns several various Networks and Streaming Services... Work with Design Software for the Engineering Department. 43+ years in and currently the only one in this position, so <knock wood> position is pretty safe for awhile. anyway.

My hospital wants clinicians with full licensing (4-5 years of experience) at a just above entry level pay. There are other benefits like pretty affordable health insurance, good pto and holiday time, but it's hard to attract good therapists with good experience when they can make 15-20k in private practice or other agencies

Fortunately at my primary job my customers seem to print their own money and spend it foolishly! I love it!.

My side job they made even easier for me and they leave me alone.

Best of both worlds!

I am in electrical engineering on the hardware side. The market is awful. Hiring freezes everywhere.

$600 billion global likely by the end of next year

I am in electrical engineering on the hardware side. The market is awful. Hiring freezes everywhere.
I assume by hardware you mean circuit boards, etc.?

The gear side of the building electrical world is so behind, they are taking orders for next year already :beat-up:

I work in syndicated lending. I specialize in trading, risk and controls, and analytics. Should be a solid year but all banks want to cut head count after record profit sooo who knows anymore. Also f offshoring it's useless.

I work in golf so it's good, and bad at the same time

Sounds like a sh***y situation

$600 billion global likely by the end of next year

I mean that's a good salary and all but Canada gon' take like 51% of that

I work for the government. Where people get your money as "performance bonuses" for having a pulse.
And we will grow, and grow. Until you stop us.

Mine is retirement. Hopefully it doesn’t grow too much. I don’t want the courses getting anymore crowded on weekdays.

Try driving a school bus for something to do, after a career in the military and then retire - only to look at the I.T. industry and go, "Hmmmm"....

Try venturing into the I.T. industry immediately upon military retirement, and last about a decade (sorry... you're too old now, and kind of like a dinosaur. It's better to hire a bright young 23yr old kid right out of college, than to keep you on board. Too bad. So sad. You'll find something else.)

2011-2012: The public school system was screaming for bus drivers.
A number of people jumped onboard, myself included, only to realize the salary was birdseed compared to what we all used to make!
My wife and I refinanced this, refinanced that, did whatever we could to make ends meet.
Then the public school systems and/or transportation division realized that bus drivers keep quitting, and keep quitting....
They went all the way to the State, along with countless other county school districts.... You all better do something NOW!
Well, they radically restructured the whole bus driver salary, and put us right up there with FedEx and UPS.

**COVID**

2022, 2023, 2024....
Something seriously has happened to school kids behavior these past few years. I don't know what it is, I don't understand it, but all I can do is say that today, these kids are MONSTERS! They don't care. They don't give a "F" about anyone or anything. Fill out a school bus referral form - nothing happens. Try and talk (in a nice gentleman, older grandpa type of tone) to a student on the bus, and they roll their eyes at you, and still won't do as told.

I'm done.... I submitted my letter of retirement/request and it was approved.

Anyone want to try driving a school bus? :p

Try driving a school bus for something to do, after a career in the military and then retire - only to look at the I.T. industry and go, "Hmmmm"....

Try venturing into the I.T. industry immediately upon military retirement, and last about a decade (sorry... you're too old now, and kind of like a dinosaur. It's better to hire a bright young 23yr old kid right out of college, than to keep you on board. Too bad. So sad. You'll find something else.)

2011-2012: The public school system was screaming for bus drivers.
A number of people jumped onboard, myself included, only to realize the salary was birdseed compared to what we all used to make!
We refinanced this, refinanced that, did whatever we could to make ends meet.
Then the public school systems and/or transportation division realized that bus drivers keep quitting, and keep quitting....
They went all the way to the State, along with countless other county school districts.... You all better do something NOW!
Well, they radically restructured the whole bus driver salary, and put us right up there with FedEx and UPS.

**COVID**

2022, 2023, 2024....
Something seriously has happened to school kids behavior these past few years. I don't know what it is, I don't understand it, but all I can do is say that today, these kids are MONSTERS! They don't care. They don't give a "F" about anyone or anything. Fill out a school bus referral form - nothing happens. Try and talk (in a nice gentleman, older grandpa type of tone) to a student on the bus, and they roll their eyes at you, and still won't do as told.

I'm done.... I submitted my letter of retirement/request and it was approved.

Anyone want to try driving a school bus? :p
That's a story and then some, but sounds like the retirement piece is the winner.

Oh and to your question about what happened to kids, I don't think covid did that, screens and phones did, covid put jet fuel on that level of a hole behavior

Back