What kind of OEM release guy/gal are you?

What kind of OEM release guy/gal are you

• Hot off the press

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Let's make a deal for your misfit toys

Votes: 20 47.6%

• Total voters

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you hot to trot to get the latest and greatest? Or are you anticipating all the goodies that are getting ready to hit the re-sale market?

I rarely buy ANYTHING at release (my budget just doesn't allow for it). It's hard to be patient and wait while all the cool kids are snatching up the latest goodies but I've rarely been disappointed with a club or clubs that I really wanted and waited for a year to get and the price I paid for it.

I was one of the guys that bought the stuff lightly used, from the guys that couldn't wait, and got things right away whether they fit or not.

And then something happened.

I'm not sure what it was, but I know my wife doesn't enjoy it as much as I do.

Same here. The only club I've ever bought that was a current release was the B21 driver I bought this year and even that I got a really good deal on off Ebay. If there wasn't a budget involved I'd be all over new releases 🤣

I haven’t bought any clubs as soon as they go out for sale. The closest I get to that is the Stroke Lab I bought in February 2019.

If it is something that catches my eye and the budget is there, I will go get it. I will look for the best deal first though. I also am patient enough to wait a bit and don't have to be the first one with the new gear

I have never bought anything new. Everything I buy is at least a release old. Only thing in my bag currently that is same generation is my CBX2 and those were bought used here. Everything else was bought a generation old minimum.

I plan on changing that this release cycle with my irons. I have been saving for them with this plan since end of the summer and have sold off some stuff.

I tend to buy new even if it's a year old.
This year I'm in the market for new irons-
HMB's are a year old
apex pros are new
srixon zx5 or 7 are new
hogan icon's
the list goes on...
but I have a good feeling I will continue to revert back to how I've done before and go after the HMB's. But I did replace the top end with all new B21 so yeah I did get the latest.

I don't mind ponying up for something that I REALLY want and buying right away, but I would say I'm typically at least a year behind the latest tech.

I tend to buy new even if it's a year old.
This year I'm in the market for new irons-
HMB's are a year old
apex pros are new
srixon zx5 or 7 are new
hogan icon's
the list goes on...
but I have a good feeling I will continue to revert back to how I've done before and go after the HMB's. But I did replace the top end with all new B21 so yeah I did get the latest.
I actually just went through my bag and realized tat I did buy one club not super long after release. My Stroke Lab 1 putter. I wasn't first in line by any measure but it certainly was within a few months of being released.

I tend to hang on to my stuff for a long time, I'm not one to buy new clubs every season (or multiple times per season, lol). With that said, the answer to the original question is that it all depends for me - sometimes I want them badly enough that I'll buy them right when they come out, other times I don't mind waiting.

I love the latest and greatest!

I was one of the guys that bought the stuff lightly used, from the guys that couldn't wait, and got things right away whether they fit or not.

And then something happened.

I'm not sure what it was, but I know my wife doesn't enjoy it as much as I do.
Has THP ever known this man you used to be:LOL:

Only clubs I’ve ever bought right at release are my Cobra Forged Tec irons, Taylormade SIM driver and Callaway MD5 wedge. It seems I seem to be moving towards the way of getting new things right away. Other than those, I’ve found a bunch of gear on deals. Being a lefty helps find some great items

Though I may be purchasing some new Callaway toys at release here shortly:oops:

I used to watch OEM releases religiously, but since I’ve gotten into club building I find I follow component companies more closely now. Well, that and startups.

If I have been saving to purchase a particular club or clubs, and a new year's release happens to be the best fit then sure. Otherwise I'm happy with end-of-the-year discounts on the demo models, or the additional savings on last year's model.

Let's just say I finally got the Atari 2600 once the Sega Genesis console came out. 'Nuff said?

I think I'm still a few years behind the releases.... The new ones have gotten to be too high a cost for the value, I'll probably always be a generation behind.

Often a release guy unless I don’t see any have to have clubs. I usually order the day orders go live sight unseen. because you know, it’s the arrows, not the Indian.

If I just gots to have it, I gots to have it.
I’m lucky enough to have several friends in the business & rarely ever pay retail.

I never buy new clubs, but those Apex's are calling my name for some reason. It's an iron set I have never played but I have hit well at the store and always wanted to play. This year's set just looks amazing.

Latest and greatest

Everyone loves the latest and greatest I’m just as bad. I’m not against buying year old tech for a good price. Or relatively new tech discounted

I used to buy/sell a lot of clubs and was fine getting used. Looking at my bag now, everything I bought was new. But I often buy things at the end of their current cycle.

I bought my 410 Plus driver when they were discounted a few months ago in advance of the 425 release. I bought my G400 fairway when the 410s were out. My Srixon 565 irons were bought after the 585s were released and the 565s were being cleared out.

The only new 'in model items I bought were CBX2 wedges and my Cleveland putter.

Back